New Update LibreWolf Browser - A fork of Firefox, focused on privacy, security and freedom

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Anyone got issue with YouTube? Cannot play in YouTube. Using v109.x here. No such issue with FF though

It throws up an error message

Secure Connection Failed

An error occurred during a connection to www.youtube.com. The server uses key pinning (HPKP) but no trusted certificate chain could be constructed that matches the pinset. Key pinning violations cannot be overridden.

Error code: MOZILLA_PKIX_ERROR_KEY_PINNING_FAILURE

The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified.
Please contact the website owners to inform them of this problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gandalf_The_Grey

n8chavez

Level 17
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
Anyone got issue with YouTube? Cannot play in YouTube. Using v109.x here. No such issue with FF though

It throws up an error message

Secure Connection Failed

An error occurred during a connection to www.youtube.com. The server uses key pinning (HPKP) but no trusted certificate chain could be constructed that matches the pinset. Key pinning violations cannot be overridden.

Error code: MOZILLA_PKIX_ERROR_KEY_PINNING_FAILURE

The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified.
Please contact the website owners to inform them of this problem.

What happens when you change "security.cert_pinning.enforcement_level" from 2 to 0 in about:config? My guess is, that'll fix it.

n8chavez

Level 17
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
Anyone know how this browser compares to Pale Moon (for Win7)?

You cannot really compare the two anymore. Palemoon uses a very old version of firefox for its code base. It still uses the old extensions system too. Palemoon is designed for older systems that cannot run newer firefox(ish) builds. I would not suggest it at all at this point. Projects like Librewolf amd Waterfox are just simply better at this point, and do have the same vulnerabilities Palemoon does.

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Hey everyone,

I'm using LW portable. How do I update my old version, so that all my setings and profiles are saved?

Just double tap the LW icon on the desktop. You can see the updating messages on the bottom right corner appearing. Be patient and wait for LW to update automatically

Last edited:

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
For those who cannot update LW using the previous steps mentioned

1) download the latest LW WinUpdater zip file from github

2) download the zip file to the LW folder, unzip and override the default WinUpdater
3) click on the new WinUpdater and LW will pop up a message to show updating in progress like below
4) ensure your AV adds an exception to allow LW to update

IMG-20230219-083348.jpg

IMG-20230219-083456.jpg

IMG-20230219-084520.jpg

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
installed librewolf 110.0-1 on win10vm. first time use here. seems nice so far. all default add-ons and settings. (initial thought, it seems better than Brave)
Question re extensions aka add-ons. I recall seeing notice to only use add-ons approved by librewolf coders. Makes (some) sense. Do they have a list of "approved" add-ons.
I was thinking bitwarden might come in handy, so any downside to using bw in librewolf? I assume the settings are optimally tweaked, so nothing else to do if and until some webpage doesn't open. thanks. :unsure: (if I can find some time, I'll go back and read the first 12 pages of posts in this thread).

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
installed librewolf 110.0-1 on win10vm. first time use here. seems nice so far. all default add-ons and settings. (initial thought, it seems better than Brave)
Question re extensions aka add-ons. I recall seeing notice to only use add-ons approved by librewolf coders. Makes (some) sense. Do they have a list of "approved" add-ons.
I was thinking bitwarden might come in handy, so any downside to using bw in librewolf? I assume the settings are optimally tweaked, so nothing else to do if and until some webpage doesn't open. thanks. :unsure: (if I can find some time, I'll go back and read the first 12 pages of posts in this thread).

Recommended addons for LW

Latest Bitwarden v2023.2 for FF not available yet.

LW is hardened OOB. You can add some addons which LW is not protecting, modify some preferences or add filters to uBO in place of adding addons

LW (like Ungoogled Chromium) is a non-mainstream browser. It may not work with some sites or services

Last edited:

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Recommended addons for LW

Latest Bitwarden v2023.2 for FF not available yet.

LW is hardened OOB. You can add some addons which LW is not protecting, modify some preferences or add filters to uBO in place of adding addons

LW (like Ungoogled Chromium) is a non-mainstream browser. It may not work with some sites or services
Thanks for the link! so far LW has been good here, clean and fast.

Sorrento

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Dec 7, 2021
For reasons unclear I've ended up with quite wide scroll bars - Not sure why as its a new phenomenon, scroll bars on rest of PC OK including Edge?

Reactions: simmerskool

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.