New Update LibreWolf Browser - A fork of Firefox, focused on privacy, security and freedom

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
106.0.4-1 is having the same problem. After I installed the last two versions of librewolf (one at a time) every app started to take a long time to launch, including librewolf. Even keepass took about 4x longer to unlock my password database than usual. After I revert to 106.0.2-1 everything returns back to normal. :unsure:
Yes, I tried 106.0.4-1 today and found the same. In taskmanager there is no obvious resource hogging by LW. But, everything else seems to be severly slowed down, ranging through VPNs, email client, Firefox, text editors, Macrium Reflect, etc. Some software refuses to open while LW is running. Some extensions in LW reverted back to their default settings. It is disturbing. I've never experienced a real time browser hijack but the behaviour suggests that this is what might be happenning, or that there is malware on the device. I couldn't see anything in the changelog on the LW website, Github, Reddit dealing with this.

I really don't have the time to keep changing versions, I'll stick to tweaked Firefox for now.

n8chavez

Level 17
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
Reactions: Stopspying

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
Yeah, I'm giving Waterfox G5 another shot. Librewolf's last few releases have been too hinky. Msybe I'll try again when FF switches to 107.
That is what I'm thinking, wait for v107. Librewolf have been busy this week releasing the updates, but I can find very little detail on what these involve.

I have not used Waterfox for several years, I'll stick with using various FF profiles, including one created through Firefox Profilemaker and one based on Home · arkenfox/user.js Wiki

Reactions: oldschool

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
It's probably upstream. Firefox itself had 5 hotfixes since 106 released. 106.0.5 was a Gemini Lake CPU hotfix. I never had any of the crashes/problems with Firefox 106.0.x, but there were people whom have had tested both and crashed with both.
I am not not using a Gemini Lake device and had not noticed any problems with FF until the latest release (v106.0.5) which has seen a few tabs crash, which I have not seen for a long time.

I suspect the LW problems are rooted in FF issues, rather than being a purely LW problem. As you say FF has had a lot of releases in v 106 so it sems that they may have a running problem.

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
Wait. Why were you even trying? You can never update an app while that same app is updating.
I have managed to do it with LW running a few times in the past, but it needed a restart before the update came in effect. I guessed this was rather like you can update FF or Thunderbird while they are open, then restart for the changes to be implemented. Today it was not possible, I can't remember the LW versions that I managed to do it with.

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I have managed to do it with LW running a few times in the past, but it needed a restart before the update came in effect. I guessed this was rather like you can update FF or Thunderbird while they are open, then restart for the changes to be implemented. Today it was not possible, I can't remember the LW versions that I managed to do it with.
No problem. I've updated it while running before and the installer throws a message to the effect of "LW is running and needs to be closed. ... Closing LW 'gracefully'". It then closes LW and updates. I just updated the same way to test. Still no problem.

I love that the devs place such a nice message in their installer. "Closing gracefully ... " :LOL:

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
No problem. I've updated it while running before and the installer throws a message to the effect of "LW is running and needs to be closed. ... Closing LW 'gracefully'". It then closes LW and updates. I just updated the same way to test. Still no problem.

I love that the devs place such a nice message in their installer. "Closing gracefully ... " :LOL:
Yes, your recollection is better than mine. That sort of message engages with the users much better than a 'restart required' or whatever, makes it feel almost personal, rather than corporate.

Last edited:

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018

About to 'close gracefully' here and see how it goes.

Edit - nothing graceful going on today, instead a dialogue box pops up saying "LibeWolf is still running and has to be closed for the setup to continue."

Last edited:

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018

About to 'close gracefully' here and see how it goes.

Edit - nothing graceful going on today, instead a dialogue box pops up saying "LibeWolf is still running and has to be closed for the setup to continue."
v 107.0.1-1 failed to install for me, 'xul.dll' specifically was the issue. I downloaded another copy, had the same problem, as I did on another PC. I tried to raise it as an issue on gitlab.com, but the recaptcha was playing up, if anyone else has this problem it would be good if you could raise it as an issue there. Gone back to v107.0.1

• Sad
Reactions: Gandalf_The_Grey

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
v 107.0.1-1 failed to install for me, 'xul.dll' specifically was the issue. I downloaded another copy, had the same problem, as I did on another PC. I tried to raise it as an issue on gitlab.com, but the recaptcha was playing up, if anyone else has this problem it would be good if you could raise it as an issue there. Gone back to v107.0.1
I never found out what the issue was with this version, but both v108.*.*.(*)s work fine. It could have been some other app conflicting but I suspect it was a LW issue. I say that as I was so busy during most of December that I had very little time to add/update things on my devices, so not much changed on my systems. Cold weather?!!! :unsure:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.