loveboy_lion Config

D

Deleted member 178

loveboy_lion said:
SEE Screen shots for what happens during shadow mode
And Thanks The Combo Really Works Well but i guess ESET and shadow mode dont work together
i will not use shadow mode due to this problem

Don't use it, you are secure enough, put it on your wife's laptop, with it she doesn't need any AV/suite.

The increase in size during Shadow Mode is normal, to simplify, it is the virtual place that store all the changes since you entered Shadow Mode; then when you reboot it is deleted.

The exclusions list of SD doesn't work like the one in AVs, put there only the folders that you allow to be changed in the real volumes.

I see you have many volumes (partitions) in Shadow Mode, i only have 2 (system and datas) ^^

loveboy_lion

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Feb 23, 2012
Biozfear said:
Again, this proves my point that running ESET on its own is good enough. In the day to day basis unless you are searching for malware 24/7, chances of you getting infected are about 1%

You are right i will remove EAM as soon as ESET smart security v6 is released which is in beta phase or may add cloud protection if i could increase protection by not increasing load on my system

loveboy_lion

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Feb 23, 2012
umbrapolaris said:
Don't use it, you are secure enough, put it on your wife's laptop, with it she doesn't need any AV/suite.

The increase in size during Shadow Mode is normal, to simplify, it is the virtual place that store all the changes since you entered Shadow Mode; then when you reboot it is deleted.

The exclusions list of SD doesn't work like the one in AVs, put there only the folders that you allow to be changed in the real volumes.

I see you have many volumes (partitions) in Shadow Mode, i only have 2 (system and datas) ^^

I already removed it

P

Plexx

loveboy_lion said:
Biozfear said:
Again, this proves my point that running ESET on its own is good enough. In the day to day basis unless you are searching for malware 24/7, chances of you getting infected are about 1%

You are right i will remove EAM as soon as ESET smart security v6 is released which is in beta phase or may add cloud protection if i could increase protection by not increasing load on my system

Cloud protection? You haven't explored ESET yet have you? ESET Live Grid is the Cloud basically.

loveboy_lion

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Feb 23, 2012
Biozfear said:
Cloud protection? You haven't explored ESET yet have you? ESET Live Grid is the Cloud basically.

yes i know about that but i doubt it rarely works since i submitted 10 virus files to them ( they are detected by other vendors) and it almost 12 hours now and it still doesn't detect them even after 10 virus updates and even after executing the files on test system
so cant say anything for sure may be due to their server or their ignorance

Like i said i wont be using another realtime protection if ESET v6 comes out stronger than v5
Between ESET Does lack behavior blocker it only has Heuristics Correct me if i am wrong

Overkill

Level 31
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
I didn't notice it in Umbra's replies, but don't forget to password protect SD so she can't mess with it lol

loveboy_lion

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Feb 23, 2012
MRF71 said:
I didn't notice it in Umbra's replies, but don't forget to password protect SD so she can't mess with it lol
Yes I surely Password protected her SD And will never tell her the password

P

Plexx

loveboy_lion said:
EDIT : added System Snapshot: Sysrestore

I have heard of that application but haven't tried. How different is it from Microsoft's own SR?

care to give some more details? I am interested due to a recent incident in my system (pointing the finger at Puran!)

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
Biozfear said:
I have heard of that application but haven't tried. How different is it from Microsoft's own SR?

care to give some more details? I am interested due to a recent incident in my system (pointing the finger at Puran!)

It's more comprehensive than system restore in the OS.

It's a rollback tool. You take a snapshot, then if there is a problem, you can roll back to the snapshot. The snapshot is the whole drive, not just critical areas like system restore.

I did some quick tests on a VM a couple days ago and seems to work fine. I took a snapshot, deleted some applications, updated some applications, made some changes to applications configuration, etc... Restored the snapshot, and all of the changes I had made were undone.

It's not a very polished application though. There are some obvious translation issues, but I think it's fairly new, so it may improve over time. You could give it a try and see if it suits your needs, but at the moment, for me it's just an application to keep my eye on. It seems to function just fine, but it's not something I feel good about depending on at the moment.

Edit: typos...

P

Plexx

Thanks a lot HeffeD.

So it is more of a rollback tool, but ain't the system restore of windows 7 like a snapshot itself? I know the memory it uses is not that much, although after what happened I am even scared of running a defrag and right now, my factory OS image has just been reloaded and I have created a restore point.

At this point, I highly doubt there is a system restore in the OS alternative. Google didn't give me much info on that topic apart from a bunch of alternative sites which I highly doubt I would visit on the machine's current 'naked' state

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
Yes, system restore is similar, but not as inclusive.

System restore is useful for system files, but does nothing for personal files. A rollback tool includes personal files.

woomera

Level 7
Verified
Jan 15, 2012
i used CPM for few month, at first it looked really good and efficient but as time went by it started giving me errors and not able to uninstall some programs so i switched to iobit uninstaller, really happy with it.
and as for ESET i know im not a fan but technically i dont think there is anything that EAM cant find that ESET could but i really like someone to show an example it it can cause i like to have faith in eset again like old days.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
How would you class your experience level (1(lowest) to 10(highest)) on the new Windows 8 OS?

loveboy_lion

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Feb 23, 2012
I would give the windows8 depending on my experience 8 out of 10
Due to following pros and cons
1) Fast System Startup (within 8-10 seconds)and shutdown (within 3-5 seconds)
2) I really loved the task manager it shows everything i need to know ( Cuts down the use of 3rd party software)
3) Love the metro look But Hate the fact that metro apps don't have a close or back button ( have to close metro apps from top left screen which is irritating )
4) Cpu and Ram usage of windows8 is almost half than that of windows7
* Windows7 Ram always 20-25% and Cpu always 0-5% even with windows defender turned off no antivirus and nothing running in background
* Windows8 Ram always 10-11% and Cpu always 0-2% even with windows defender turned on and nothing running in background
5) Hate the fact that it dosnt have a start button ( have to take the cursor all the way to the bottom left of the screen and wait for 1-2 seconds or press the windows key)
6) All in all I love the fact that its faster and i guess stable than windows7 since its still not released and it was worth ditching windows7 for windows8 its totally somewhat a new experience and will take some time before getting used to it

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
2) I agree with you, the new Task Manager has major improvements.
3) To close Metro Apps use Alt+F4, or end from Task Manager.
5) Start appears instantly for me, though I prefer using the Windows Key.

How difficult would you say the learning curve from Windows 7 to Windows 8 (RP) is?

Cheers, and welcome to Windows 8. :D

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Btw, you can enable Enhanced Protected Moder in IE10 with explanation:
http://www.julien-manici.com/blog/ie10-new-sandbox-enhanced-protected-mode-windows-8/

P

Plexx

is the startup and ram usage in windows 8 compared to windows 7 that noticeable for you Earth?

I must also ask loveboy_lion this: when you refer: * Windows7 Ram always 20-25% and Cpu always 0-5% even with windows defender turned off no antivirus and nothing running in background

Does this means a clean OS installation or the one that comes with bundled software? Also any services manually tweaked? My windows 7 on its barebones (with the dell bundle) did not even take close to 20% ram that is why I am asking.

loveboy_lion

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Feb 23, 2012
Biozfear said:
is the startup and ram usage in windows 8 compared to windows 7 that noticeable for you Earth?

I must also ask loveboy_lion this: when you refer: * Windows7 Ram always 20-25% and Cpu always 0-5% even with windows defender turned off no antivirus and nothing running in background

Does this means a clean OS installation or the one that comes with bundled software? Also any services manually tweaked? My windows 7 on its barebones (with the dell bundle) did not even take close to 20% ram that is why I am asking.

YES I used to get 20-25% Ram usage on windows 7 after a clean install with windows defender off after tweaking and turning unnecessery services i would get about 20% Ram usage unfortunately i don't have screenshot of that But i do have screen shot of windows8 and the only thing i noticed with high memory was windows defender

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.