loveboy_lion Config

loveboy_lion

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Feb 23, 2012
Earth said:
How difficult would you say the learning curve from Windows 7 to Windows 8 (RP) is?
Cheers, and welcome to Windows 8. :D

I Would say its learning windows 8 is not that difficult since almost everything is same as windows 7 except for Metro and Storage space which i Am not sure what it is ? And For some reason windows 8 came with flash player pre-installed
See Screenshot

loveboy_lion

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Feb 23, 2012
Earth said:
Btw, you can enable Enhanced Protected Moder in IE10 with explanation:
http://www.julien-manici.com/blog/ie10-new-sandbox-enhanced-protected-mode-windows-8/

Thanks Now i enabled it

Note:-
If enabled plugins like java , flash etc wont work

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Mind you Windows Defender has a very slow time removing malware, one reason why I switched back to avast.

P

Plexx

loveboy_lion said:
YES I used to get 20-25% Ram usage on windows 7 after a clean install with windows defender off after tweaking and turning unnecessery services i would get about 20% Ram usage unfortunately i don't have screenshot of that But i do have screen shot of windows8 and the only thing i noticed with high memory was windows defender

Here is all the applications installed on my laptop that I used to have. Note that no services tweaked, no startups edited yet nothing. Highest memory usage as you can see is not even ESET. all in all, thats the memory used. Once I trim it down, it will be less than 20, and I only have 6gb ram.

[attachment=1563]

loveboy_lion

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Feb 23, 2012
Yes i too had svchost.exe on my system all the time using between 150-250mbs
But i think You have too many Programs running in background since your task manager is showing 76 Processes which may be slowing down your laptop between i had only 59 processes Total with ESET , EAM , utorrent and with almost 10 processes of Comodo Dragon

loveboy_lion

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Feb 23, 2012
EDIT :- ADDED Trustport Antivirus 2013 to Realtime Protection ( MUST say It has Improved a Lot Then 2012 version and now uses Three engine Trustport , Bitdefender and AVG ) Before it only used two engine Bitdefender and AVG

P

Plexx

loveboy_lion said:
Yes i too had svchost.exe on my system all the time using between 150-250mbs
But i think You have too many Programs running in background since your task manager is showing 76 Processes which may be slowing down your laptop between i had only 59 processes Total with ESET , EAM , utorrent and with almost 10 processes of Comodo Dragon

On my screenshot, I said I had everything loading with no tweaks or disabled stuff.

My dell does come with datasafe which I keep it running since it does update my factory os.
Bluetooth is a total of 3 processes.
Other stuff etc.

computer with all default stuff + all the programs installed is far from being slow. I know i got an i7 etc but still.

Obviously, once everything tweaked, it will go down dramatically but compared to before, I did not notice much of improvement or slowdown due to the speed of the system itself. Money well spent: Dell XPS 17 custom built

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
loveboy_lion said:
Earth said:
Btw, you can enable Enhanced Protected Moder in IE10 with explanation:
http://www.julien-manici.com/blog/ie10-new-sandbox-enhanced-protected-mode-windows-8/

Thanks Now i enabled it

Note:-
If enabled plugins like java , flash etc wont work

I didn't see this post.

Okay, so remember hearing about IE10 Metro (UI) not being able to run third-party extensions, it's because of the new Enhanced Protected Mode. (AFAIK, I think I'm correct).

IE10 Metro (UI) - Enhanced Protected Mode is ON by default
IE10 Desktop - Enhanced Protected Mode is OFF by default

loveboy_lion

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Feb 23, 2012
Earth said:
I didn't see this post.

Okay, so remember hearing about IE10 Metro (UI) not being able to run third-party extensions, it's because of the new Enhanced Protected Mode. (AFAIK, I think I'm correct).

IE10 Metro (UI) - Enhanced Protected Mode is ON by default
IE10 Desktop - Enhanced Protected Mode is OFF by default

No You are wrong
If you disable Enhanced protection mode in desktop it will be off in Metro as well if enabled in windows it will enabled in Metro as well
Just Try it if you are are not sure

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
loveboy_lion said:
No You are wrong
If you disable Enhanced protection mode in desktop it will be off in Metro as well if enabled in windows it will enabled in Metro as well
Just Try it if you are are not sure

As I do not have Java installed, can you show some screenshots of running Java in IE10 Metro (UI)?

IE10 Metro ensures an add-on free experience:

"Metro style Internet Explorer will run with Enhanced Protected Mode enabled at all times. For the desktop mode, users will have to enable it from Internet Options > advanced. Do note that incompatible add-ons will automatically be disabled. However, they can be enabled for specific websites when needed." - Source (dated: March 15th, 2012).

EDIT:
"On Windows 8, Metro-style IE’s tabs in the Internet and Restricted Zone run in Enhanced Protected mode, while tabs in other zones run in 64bit only. You cannot disable EPM for Metro-style IE except by turning off Protected Mode entirely.

By default, Desktop IE’s tabs run in the Low Integrity Protected Mode at 32bit. Only if you enable Enhanced Protected Mode using the Internet Options control panel will Desktop IE’s tabs run in AppContainer (and 64bit, if available)." - Source (#IE Tabs and AppContainer).

Just some info.

loveboy_lion

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Feb 23, 2012
EDIT :-
Removed Bitdefender total security 2013 ( Crashed every now and then) and added Advanced SystemCare with Antivirus (BitDefender antivirus technology and IObit anti-malware engine)

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Doesn't ASCw/AV run in real-time?

loveboy_lion

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Feb 23, 2012
Earth said:
Doesn't ASCw/AV run in real-time?

Yes It does

1) But I had Installed avast with only behavior blocker and web-shield and script-shield and it seems that ASCw/AV turns off its protection when it sees AVAST so had to remove it
2) ASCw/AV doesn't register it self as a anti-spyware and only antivirus in windows action centre
2) I searched Iobit forums and they recommend using Iobit malware fighter which all know is not good
3) I don't want to replace ASCw/AV since its very light on system and has the same detection as Bitdefender , Trustport , Trend micro, Panda , whose licence i posses and used they all seem to be too heavy on windows 8
4) I wanted to replace ASCw/AV with Kaspersky or ESET but unfortunately But cant decide since on Kaspersky forum Latest KIS 2013 is not supported on windows 8 and don't know if ESET supports windows 8 or not

Any suggestion would be helpful till then will try If ESET works or not
Thanks

P

Plexx

ESET 6 does work on Windows 8 but for example the HIPS doesnt work.

Could you tell me how much ligher did ASC w/AV against Panda? If I remember correctly, between BD, Trust, TM and Panda, Panda is the lightest.

loveboy_lion

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Feb 23, 2012
Biozfear said:
ESET 6 does work on Windows 8 but for example the HIPS doesnt work.

Could you tell me how much ligher did ASC w/AV against Panda? If I remember correctly, between BD, Trust, TM and Panda, Panda is the lightest.

Yes You are right Panda is the lightest but due to some reason whenever I install panda on my laptop my internet connection disconnects often and internet too slows down a lot which doesn't happen with other security suites
Between The Ram usage of ASCw/AV using 4 processes is almost between 45-55mb without any slowdown or delay in system responce and it doesnt even feel heavy

loveboy_lion

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Feb 23, 2012
EDIT :-
Installed ESET Smart Security 6 and everything works except the Hips and ASCw/AV for some reason did not disable and both are working together fine
Hope It always remain the same Since i Don't want to lose any one of the two
will further test t see if there are any complications or no
Thanks

P

Plexx

Are the Memory leaks in ESET 6 fixed? been reported to jump over 200mb plus, although it also been made public fix would be available in upcoming versions/builds (this was back in April if memory serves me right).
basically let it run for a few hours on idle or use laptop as normal and then check every now and again.

loveboy_lion

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Feb 23, 2012
Biozfear said:
Are the Memory leaks in ESET 6 fixed? been reported to jump over 200mb plus, although it also been made public fix would be available in upcoming versions/builds (this was back in April if memory serves me right).
basically let it run for a few hours on idle or use laptop as normal and then check every now and again.

Yes I suppose they have fixed the memory leek in version ESET 6.0.115.0 (which i am using) since i have not seen the memory usage go above 80Mb anytime in Background and even in manual scans its always below 100Mb which i had noticed in ESET 5 It would Go upto 700Mb during manual Scan and would always stay between 100-200Mb in background And it Does not even Slow down My Games which is the best part

I have only disabled hips since it does not work on win8 and enabled "Detection of potentially unwanted , unsafe and suspicious applications" and set the "cleaning mode to strict cleaning"

Try it to see if memory leaks are fixed on your system since its fixed on my laptop now
Thanks

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.