Votes: 20 21.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aura

Level 20
Verified
Jul 29, 2014
Tried it And removed it as it ate my ram and CPU like a kid in a candy store!
Back to zemana!!!:mad:

It's been said that the first scan on Malwarebytes can take a lot of resources (RAM and CPU). However, the subsequent scan should use less resources. Therefore, I suggest to everyone to let the first scan run, and then run a second one right after to see if it uses less resources than it did for the 1st one.

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
Aura
I do not believe in a million years cruelsister would do that, she use to work in the antivirus industry, and has degree's in computer sciences. It would depend on where the samples come from, she may not be allowed (for what ever reason) to share the samples.

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
Still getting a pop-up on every reboot that real time protection is turned off. This occurs whatever I do, I've excluded all other security programs to no avail :-(

Attachments

• ScreenShot.jpg
    ScreenShot.jpg
    233.1 KB · Views: 329
Reactions: XhenEd

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Tony- Thanks!

Andy- about MB3, I just finished up one and will release it this weekend (and I have the prefect song!).

Aura- the only samples that I don't share are those I code myself. These tend to be nasty things of novel mechanism and I don't trust anyone with them. Those samples that I have been using recently are all in the Wild and their types are obvious by their effects. God Forbid if the developers don't already have them and are unaware of their existence.

And yes, I could have easily modified the malware, but there is no need to inconvenience myself so as sadly older stuff, freely available, are more than adequate for breaching products (but I do admire your skepticism!).

Andytay70

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2015
It's been said that the first scan on Malwarebytes can take a lot of resources (RAM and CPU). However, the subsequent scan should use less resources. Therefore, I suggest to everyone to let the first scan run, and then run a second one right after to see if it uses less resources than it did for the 1st one.
Scanned twice rebooting inbetween and still hogging ram and cpu!

Reactions: XhenEd and frogboy

Aura

Level 20
Verified
Jul 29, 2014
Aura
I do not believe in a million years cruelsister would do that, she use to work in the antivirus industry, and has degree's in computer sciences. It would depend on where the samples come from, she may not be allowed (for what ever reason) to share the samples.

Then what's the point of proving that a product fail to achieve his task in X situation but not say exactly what that X situation was?

Still getting a pop-up on every reboot that real time protection is turned off. This occurs whatever I do, I've excluded all other security programs to no avail :-(

It's a known issue with the current Malwarebytes 3.0 build. Even though the modules are being started or started already, you'll get that notification. Did you check in the Malwarebytes GUI to make sure all the modules were up and running?

Tony- Thanks!

Andy- about MB3, I just finished up one and will release it this weekend (and I have the prefect song!).

Aura- the only samples that I don't share are those I code myself. These tend to be nasty things of novel mechanism and I don't trust anyone with them. Those samples that I have been using recently are all in the Wild and their types are obvious by their effects. God Forbid if the developers don't already have them and are unaware of their existence.

And yes, I could have easily modified the malware, but there is no need to inconvenience myself so as sadly older stuff, freely available, are more than adequate for breaching products (but I do admire your skepticism!).

If you don't trust anyone with the samples you code, then why do you think some people don't trust your reviews? For all we know, these tests could have been easily falsified. You just admitted the use of self-coded samples and that you won't share them. Usually, when you discover a vulnerability, weakness, etc. in a security product (or any other product for that matter), you submit it to the vendor (with a PoC if possible) so they can address the issue. Right now, you're just saying "Hey, your program doesn't catch that self-coded sample I made but I won't tell you what it does exactly so yeah, you should really fix it." You're not helping them at all in my opinion.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Well the pressure for Malwarebytes is already at huge stake.

Their Ransomware module should be consistent at all as some irregularities on their stand-alone existed way back before, also signatures and generic detection should be maximized considering that some users will rely only one sole AV.

Antivirus = All package features, it can detect all variety of threats.

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Well the pressure for Malwarebytes is already at huge stake.

Their Ransomware module should be consistent at all as some irregularities on their stand-alone existed way back before, also signatures and generic detection should be maximized considering that some users will rely only one sole AV.

Antivirus = All package features, it can detect all variety of threats.
Its AntiMalware was designed to be a companion to an AV product. It's not an AV

Ransomware is not a virus

So not sure which component can detect and remove viruses. If not, then they cannot claim this new version can replace an AV

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
t's a known issue with the current Malwarebytes 3.0 build. Even though the modules are being started or started already, you'll get that notification. Did you check in the Malwarebytes GUI to make sure all the modules were up and running?

Tried everything, but the pop-up still appears, I've stopped it starting with Windows for now as got ZAM & WAR + HMP running so I'll wait for a later build. Still wondering whether to replace ZAM with Malwarebytes totally as I really like it & I don't seem to suffer with overley large RAM use like some seem too - But all in all I really like Malwarebytes.

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
For all we know, she could have modified the samples herself to bypass the products she's testing.
But does that not suppose that security software should at least be able to detect or block any modification of malware? If the sample is malicious, it should be blocked, regardless of whether it is modified or not. So, even if cruelsister modifies the samples, Malwarebytes should be able to block it still. After all, modification is what malcoders already do.

Anyway, I have no current plans to try and test the new Malwarebytes product. I just currently don't have any interest in it. Maybe, I'll test it in the future.

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Somebody should do a malware test and ransomware test comparison between this final MalwareBytes 3.0 and HMPA to see which is better?

spaceoctopus

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 13, 2014
I tried
ESET NOD32 Antivirus 10 + Malwarebytes 3.0
Avast Free + Malwarebytes 3.0
Emsisoft antimalware + Malwarebytes 3.0
All working fine, without any conflict.

RAM high usage seems to have been temporary. Now it's just stuck about 120mb-130mb all the time, with no slowdowns. Loving the agressive web protection. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.