Software Review McAfee Protection (Plus Plans, Total Protection, LiveSafe)

Reviews reflect the reviewer's setup and methods. Check the evidence and limitations.
Thread details
Product name
McAfee Total Protection/Plus Plans
Installation (rating)
5.00 star(s)
User interface (rating)
5.00 star(s)
Performance (rating)
5.00 star(s)
Core protection (rating)
5.00 star(s)
Proactive protection (rating)
5.00 star(s)
Protection notes
See tests
Browser protection (rating)
5.00 star(s)
Positives
    • Many features
    • Low impact on system resources
    • Fast scans
    • Easy to use
    • Simple and non-intrusive
    • Ransomware protection
    • Strong and reliable protection
    • Detects or blocks in-the-wild malware
    • Consistently high test scores
    • Accurate results and reliable antivirus engine
    • Effective malicious URL blocking
    • Virus signatures are updated daily
    • Excellent scores in independent tests
    • Great value for money
    • Effective malware removal
    • Clear, easy-to-use interface
    • Multiple layers of protection
Negatives
    • Advanced users may want more control
    • Short on configuration options
    • Includes paid-for components (paywall)
Time spent using product
Reviewed between 1 to 7 days
Computer specs
11th Gen Core i5
16GB RAM
Recommended for
  1. All types of users
Overall rating
5.00 star(s)
Weird, can not check for you now, since i switched to Trend.
Yesterday, after an unpleasant experience with McAfee, I switched back to Trend Micro. I tried to activate the VPN with McAfee, but the connection wouldn't connect even after five minutes. I couldn't cancel McAfee's attempt. As a result, I lost all internet connection. I restarted the PC. That didn't improve the situation, though, as McAfee immediately tried to establish a VPN connection again. I couldn't stop McAfee via Task Manager either. I had to restore a system backup with Macrium Reflect to get my PC working again. Then I uninstalled McAfee and reinstalled Trend Micro.
 
Yesterday, after an unpleasant experience with McAfee, I switched back to Trend Micro. I tried to activate the VPN with McAfee, but the connection wouldn't connect even after five minutes. I couldn't cancel McAfee's attempt. As a result, I lost all internet connection. I restarted the PC. That didn't improve the situation, though, as McAfee immediately tried to establish a VPN connection again. I couldn't stop McAfee via Task Manager either. I had to restore a system backup with Macrium Reflect to get my PC working again. Then I uninstalled McAfee and reinstalled Trend Micro.
Must be a bug, maybe @Trident know something about it. I never use the VPN from McAfee, i have NordVPN.
 
I only tried the McAfee VPN once as I don't need it as it was somewhat slower than Express, but when I rebooted express didn't work any more & no easy resolution so I restored an image, maybe a unknown conflict - Not an issue for me but as I am who I am I've recently reverted to Emsisoft for a while, though not because I abhor McAfee but I still have an affinity to Emsisoft??? And I still live on :p:p
tray.jpg
 
Last edited:
I only tried the McAfee VPN once as I don't need it as it was somewhat slower than Express, but when I rebooted express didn't work any more & no easy resolution so I restored an image, maybe a unknown conflict - Not an issue for me but as I am who I am I've recently reverted to Emsisoft for a while, though not because I abhor McAfee but I still have an affinity to Emsisoft??? And I still live on :p:p
View attachment 291311
After uninstalling McAfee a few weeks ago, I also encountered an issue where I could install the F-Secure VPN, but couldn't establish a VPN connection effectively. This only worked after I restored a system backup without McAfee. Despite using the McAfee uninstaller, a fatal setting still remains.
 
I got those too, even a do a smart scan after reboot popup.

Just why McAfee?
When i told this here no one believed me. I had a chat with customer service and said that i'm not happy with that, now they have my mail adres for my account, perhaps they can fix something from their HQ to reduce this .
McAfee is installed on 4 computers with all the same behaviour. Now a few days of silence.
Latest popup was this one :
e6bdd61a-b48e-4ea0-9944-34c500de29ae.jpg
 
When i told this here no one believed me. I had a chat with customer service and said that i'm not happy with that, now they have my mail adres for my account, perhaps they can fix something from their HQ to reduce this .
McAfee is installed on 4 computers with all the same behaviour. Now a few days of silence.
Latest popup was this one :View attachment 291327

Lets see if it's going to be quieter now.

I posted about those popups some days ago here:
 
Lets see if it's going to be quieter now.

I posted about those popups some days ago here:
I got a few of those pushy ads right install but they went away by themselves after a day or 2, fwiw. (I don't run the McAfee VM everyday though)
 
Here's hoping that support did resolve the alerts for afflicted users. I like many things about McAfee, but the constant nagging would drive me crazy. Cheap license or not, I wouldn't be happy.

Having heard of bugs and other subpar experiences with McAfee's VPN, I can fortunately report that it's worked reliably for the most part on my end without much for snags. I gave it a good run and found the speeds using US servers satisfactory. For what I paid, an unlimited VPN as I experienced it is a great value. It sounds like the software could still use refinement, however.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Recently browsing

Members who viewed this thread in the last 5 minutes

Back
Top