Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Some of these new features include a built-in QR code generator, Collections, and tight integration into Windows 10 and networking domains.
Below are some of the new features coming to Microsoft Edge and currently found in the Canary builds.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Thanks (y) An older post from Bleeping Computer mentions 2 upcoming feature that I would like to try:
Vertical tabs and a Smart Copy Feature

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
I really like vertical tabs, because it makes more sense with screens being wider than taller in general. I have my taskbar moved to the right, to get more practical-vertical "screen space". For the same reason I am using the classic favourites icon and not the favourites bar to save horizontal screen space. It just makes more sense, see picture

1587887849669.png

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Quarterly Survey: April 2020:
Greetings everyone,

As Microsoft Edge Insiders, you have access to unique opportunities to provide feedback about the browser, and here's one of the best: a fresh quarterly survey! This is an excellent opportunity for you to make your voice heard, as all completed surveys will be reviewed by the Microsoft team.

This survey will only take a few minutes and will have a big impact on the Insiders Program. None of the questions are marked as "mandatory," but the more questions you answer, the more helpful the feedback will be.

We really appreciate you sharing your thoughts; thanks for helping us build a great browser!

Survey link

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Dev Channel update to 84.0.495.2 is live:
Hello Insiders! Today we’re releasing build 84.0.495.2 to the Dev Channel. While there isn’t too much new to talk about this week, we do want to make users of Collections aware of a potential issue with syncing. After the recent update to bring Collections to the Stable channel in version 81, it’s possible that Collections sync isn’t enabled by default in Beta (since it was just updated from version 81) or Stable. If that’s the case, you’ll need to go to edge://settings/profiles/sync and turn it on yourself.

Additionally, we put together an article highlighting some of Edge’s features that will make working from home easier: Get an edge while working from home - Microsoft Edge Blog. We’ve also started a discussion for people who have seen the mouse cursor disappear when interacting with Edge, as we’re trying to get to the cause of it: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/discussions/discussion-mouse-cursor-sometimes-disappears/m-p/.... As for this week’s notable features and fixes:

Added features:
  • Added the ability for Guided Switch to offer to switch to personal profiles instead of just work or school profiles.
  • Added a keyboard shortcut (Alt+Shift+R on Windows) to show the options bar in Immersive Reader.
  • Added support for SmartScreen to block potentially unwanted apps that are downloaded as ClickOnce or DirectInvoke applications.
  • Added the ability for developers to debug Edge instances that are running in headless mode.

Top Feedback Summary for April 28:
Hello, Insiders! This is being posted up today outside of our Dev channel update, which isn’t exactly normal (what is anymore?). This is to help with balancing our workloads while I have the rest of the week off. Keep an eye out for Josh’s Dev channel update later this week. We have a few top feedback updates this week, so let’s just jump right into it!

First up, we believe we’ve addressed one of the main items of feedback regarding Provide different options for sorting favorites. The team posted an update here, and we’d love to know more of your thoughts about sorting your favorites! Head over to the discussion thread to join in the conversation.

New on the list this week is Voice search on google.com doesn’t work. We have been looking into this as a team, but this is the first week this has shown up on this feedback list. We’ll work to provide updates around this as we get them, and it's current status is Planned.

One of the biggest things we see in feedback is items related to PDF documents. We’re excited to let you all know that Enable navigation of PDF files via table of contents has been move from Planned to Planned for Summer today! Once we have more details, we’ll be sure to share those here.

As always, thanks so much for all your continued feedback! We’ll chat at you all with our update next week.

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014

Last edited:

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Guys, I'm giving Edge Beta a full trial this time. Imported everything from Firefox to give it a proper go.
But found this two slightly annoying issue.

1) Often there's this black screen for brief moment while switching tabs. Anyone else noticed this on their Edge? It doesn't happen always but occurs quite a few times specially on MalwareTips. I never have this issue on Firefox.
edge.gif

2) Frame dropping on YouTube. Simply switching tabs, scrolling makes it drop frames. Anyone else have this? Again, not a single dropped frame on Firefox.
Here's how it behaves on mine:

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Dev channel update to 84.0.502.0 is live:
Hello Insiders! Today we’re releasing build 84.0.502.0 to the Dev channel. This week, we’ve got an article describing Automatic Profile Switching (informally referred to as Guided Switch in the past) in more detail: Using multiple profiles at work and at home is now easier with Microsoft Edge - Microsoft Edge Blog. As for all of this week’s most noteworthy additions:

Added features:
  • Added a “don’t show again” option to the warning that appears when launching Edge with Administrator privileges.
  • Added the ability to exit ink/highlight mode in PDFs by hitting the Esc key on the keyboard.
  • Added security to the saved payment cards section of Settings by requiring extra authorization before editing a saved card.
  • Added the ability for Windows Information Protection for extend to the Share feature.
  • Added a red PDF highlighter color.
  • Added checkboxes to the entries on the Favorites and History management pages.
  • Added new Read Aloud voices.

Top Feedback Summary for May 5:
Greetings, Insiders! Welcome to May’s first Top Feedback Summary post! Not a lot of updates this week, but we do have a couple new items we’re adding today. Let’s jump in, shall we?

First up, PDFs continue to be a hot topic for our users and we’re adding a separate item related to writing on PDFs. Add “text notes” feature to PDF files is now in the list with the status Planned. Note that we consider this to be separate from the ability to ink on web pages.

Next, we’ve seen some varying feedback specifically around fonts and how they render. Newly added to Under Review, Some web page fonts are blurry is now something we’re tracking. This is an item that holds a few different situations under its umbrella, so expect us to provide updates on this that may only address one aspect at a time.

Nothing else to note this week, we’ll see you all in the next update!

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Guys, I'm giving Edge Beta a full trial this time. Imported everything from Firefox to give it a proper go.

1) Often there's this black screen for brief moment while switching tabs. Anyone else noticed this on their Edge? It doesn't happen always but occurs quite a few times specially on MalwareTips. I never have this issue on Firefox.
View attachment 238882

2) Frame dropping on YouTube. Simply switching tabs, scrolling makes it drop frames. Anyone else have this? Again, not a single dropped frame on Firefox.
Here's how it behaves on mine:

Very interesting, I just tested with 10 tabs open (something I almost never do) and didn't get the blank screen. At least not for as long in your video. A couple times I saw a brief flicker of a black screen but for about 1/10th of a second, or less. Definitely not as noticeable as yours.

I tried watching sports clips on youtube to see if I could reproduce dropped frames. I got it to happen once after switching tabs for just a couple seconds. But, scrolling didn't reproduce the issue. Are you on your most recent videocard drivers?

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Guys, I'm giving Edge Beta a full trial this time.
Why not release version? Or Dev version, which gets more frequent updates.

Black screen upon loading browser, switching tabs, etc. was a very common complaint awhile back. Please report via "Send feedback".

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Very interesting, I just tested with 10 tabs open (something I almost never do) and didn't get the blank screen. At least not for as long in your video. A couple times I saw a brief flicker of a black screen but for about 1/10th of a second, or less. Definitely not as noticeable as yours.

I tried watching sports clips on youtube to see if I could reproduce dropped frames. I got it to happen once after switching tabs for just a couple seconds. But, scrolling didn't reproduce the issue. Are you on your most recent videocard drivers?
Yeah latest videocard driver. It's a laptop with an Integrated intel and dedicated Nvidia gpu. I'll try running it with the dedicated one to check if anything improves.
Can you check one thing? Open few MalwareTips tabs and click on those once then don't access those anymore for 5-6 minutes. Then check whether you get any black screens or not.
Why not release version? Or Dev version, which gets more frequent updates.
Good suggestion. I still wanted to keep the old Edge for now and thought Beta should be more stable than Dev edition. Ok, I'm gonna check Release/Dev version now.
Black screen upon loading browser, switching tabs, etc. was a very common complaint awhile back. Please report via "Send feedback".
I see. So it's been reported by others too. Ok, sending feedback.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Yeah latest videocard driver. It's a laptop with an Integrated intel and dedicated Nvidia gpu. I'll try running it with the dedicated one to check if anything improves.
Can you check one thing? Open few MalwareTips tabs and click on those once then don't access those anymore for 5-6 minutes. Then check whether you get any black screens or not.
So far I didn't get it to reproduce with such a delay. One or two flickers that I barely could see, but they were there. I'll leave it open and untouched for a while and come back after a bit longer.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Did you change video cards?
Did you try disabling "Hardware acceleration"?
Good catch. I was already testing that and after disabling hard acceleration, I'm seeing less black windows and when it appears it's for a split second so not as noticeable as my gif above. Dropped frames are still a thing on YouTube but it's not much noticeable anyway. But pretty sure both issues are connected. It's having some issues with rendering. I haven't used any Chromium browsers regularly for the last 3 years so not sure yet if it's a chromium related issue or Edge exclusive only but I think it's the latter one.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.