Serious Discussion Microsoft Edge Stable (Chromium) Now Available for Download

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
This morning I opened Edge and this is what I'm greeted with. What is this? Why would Microsoft defender want me to reset settings? There's nothing malicious on the system.

ed.PNG

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

This morning I opened Edge and this is what I'm greeted with. What is this? Why would Microsoft defender want me to reset settings? There's nothing malicious on the system.

View attachment 249600
I don't know if it's relevant but sometimes Windows open the setup wizard after a Windows upgrade patch and the latest one ask the same question which reset all Edge settings + reset search engine back to Bing.
But I don't see anything like that directly from Defender oO

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
I don't know if it's relevant but sometimes Windows open the setup wizard after a Windows upgrade patch and the latest one ask the same question which reset all Edge settings + reset search engine back to Bing.
But I don't see anything like that directly from Defender oO
I don't see any update installed recently. Everything has been the same. Scanned the C drive with WD and Emsisoft Emergency Kit just to be sure and they didn't find anything either. Who knows what triggered this!!! I haven't even used Edge much in the past few weeks. Anyway, I cleaned the cache manually. Didn't reset anything else.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
One thing I noticed, if you use clipboard feature of Windows 10 then anything you copy in Edge's private browser window doesn't get saved in clipboard. It will work normally as if the clipboard function isn't enabled so you'll only be able to paste the last copied item.
This info might be helpful for those who use the clipboard feature. I learned my lesson and lost some important copied items few days back.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
One thing I noticed, if you use clipboard feature of Windows 10 then anything you copy in Edge's private browser window doesn't get saved in clipboard. It will work normally as if the clipboard function isn't enabled so you'll only be able to paste the last copied item.
This info might be helpful for those who use the clipboard feature. I learned my lesson and lost some important copied items few days back.
Sad, that you lost copied items, but if you want system wide copying you must not use private browsing.
IMO It should work that way.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Sad, that you lost copied items, but if you want system wide copying you must not use private browsing.
IMO It should work that way.
Yes. I'm not complaining and it probably makes sense to not record anything in private mode so, that even includes clipboard items. I'm just letting everyone know about it because I didn't know and this is probably implemented not so long ago. I don't remember facing this before.

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
SeriousHoax and oldschool: Edge just updated to version 87.0.664.47** Come and step out of the darkness, into the light. 👢👞🌞

These things can get so frustrating and even a little scary. Good thing you got it straightened out, oldschool. This is something to make a mental note of: a machine restart can cure whatever ails ya, at least some of the time.

**I shall wait for the informational posts of Gandalf_The_Grey as this time, I did check before posting. 😁 Was checking for updates anyway, since a cumulative KB for Insiders Beta Channel got installed (KB4586853).

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
OK, here is a small dilemma that's come up before, prob multiple times, but OS configurations change so what was frowned upon 3 years ago might not be nowadays. I'm using Edge exclusively at the moment, no other browser.

Anyway, occasionally in Event Viewer, I get these "warnings": id: 1014: dns name resolution on WPAD (or something) failed as none of the servers responded. Accordingly, webpages in Micro-Edge would take 3-5 sec. to load versus instantly. Annoying! So, Microsoft has conflicting stands on disabling IPv6, it seems. I followed this guide here to disable it. In another Doc, Microsoft warns against it. :rolleyes:

I've done this before out of annoyance but things started gradually sliding south with regards to Windows. This was a few years ago, though. And yes: reset network adapter, changed DNS, flushed DNS multiple times, etc and slow webpage loading persisted.

Anyway, Edge loads pages normally now. But what do you all think about this? Is there a reason/s for keep IPv6 enabled now, in 20H2 and beyond? Thanks for insights. Oh, version is 87.0.664.47 as noted above, the latest. (y)

Edit: maybe I'll add a preferred DNS provider to the IPv6 section in DNS Jumper. Maybe that's the ticket instead of disabling IPv6. What do you think?

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
OK, here is a small dilemma that's come up before, prob multiple times, but OS configurations change so what was frowned upon 3 years ago might not be nowadays. I'm using Edge exclusively at the moment, no other browser.

Anyway, occasionally in Event Viewer, I get these "warnings": id: 1014: dns name resolution on WPAD (or something) failed as none of the servers responded. Accordingly, webpages in Micro-Edge would take 3-5 sec. to load versus instantly. Annoying! So, Microsoft has conflicting stands on disabling IPv6, it seems. I followed this guide here to disable it. In another Doc, Microsoft warns against it. :rolleyes:

I've done this before out of annoyance but things started gradually sliding south with regards to Windows. This was a few years ago, though. And yes: reset network adapter, changed DNS, flushed DNS multiple times, etc and slow webpage loading persisted.

Anyway, Edge loads pages normally now. But what do you all think about this? Is there a reason/s for keep IPv6 enabled now, in 20H2 and beyond? Thanks for insights. Oh, version is 87.0.664.47 as noted above, the latest. (y)

Edit: maybe I'll add a preferred DNS provider to the IPv6 section in DNS Jumper. Maybe that's the ticket instead of disabling IPv6. What do you think?
I hope others can help you with that problem.
Google found:

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
This is a very good article, Gandalf_The_Grey. It likewise suggests, among other things, to disable IPv6, esp. IF the ISP doesn't support it. I'm going to bookmark this for future reference as I've already added a preferred DNS provider to the IPv6 section of DNS Jumper and am evaluating the effects. So far, webpages are loading without undue spinning and grinding around of those loading dots (Good night, I hate that :mad:) but the long term benefit is the better test.

OK, I need a cup of coffee and some Apple danish.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.