Serious Discussion Microsoft Edge Stable (Chromium) Now Available for Download

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
Edge, in its current performance, is never going to be my main browser. Each time I launch it, I hear fan noise which lasts for maybe 15 secs and it only happens with Edge. Vivaldi checked all the boxes but I wish they offered iOS version. Thus, Firefox is my main browser.

petok

Level 1
Sep 19, 2011
When check for update in edge about I have firewall rules allow to port 80,443 for Microsoft Edge Update (microsoftedgeupdate.exe) and Microsoft Edge (msedge.exe) got this error
An error occurred while checking for updates: Unable to connect to the Internet. If you use a firewall, please allowlist MicrosoftEdgeUpdate.exe. (error code 7: 0x800421F7 -- system level).
Error 0x800421f7 - The update server is busy, try again later.

How to fix this problem

Morro

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 8, 2012
When check for update in edge about I have firewall rules allow to port 80,443 for Microsoft Edge Update (microsoftedgeupdate.exe) and Microsoft Edge (msedge.exe) got this error

Error 0x800421f7 - The update server is busy, try again later.

How to fix this problem

I think that at the moment all we can do is wait?

EDIT: Edge just got updated to Version 90.0.818.39 for me.

Last edited:

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
OK, it did manage to update after MANY tries, plus the MS Store hasn't opened since last night--it's still down on here.

Has anyone seen this? I made a very short video. Weird. Note: The video is Unlisted. Just click on the "Watch this video on YouTube" link if you want to view it. I've tried to set to Public and upload to other sites and it takes too long.

Error message on MS Store page:

mssotre.PNG

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
OK, it did manage to update after MANY tries, plus the MS Store hasn't opened since last night--it's still down on here.

Has anyone seen this? I made a very short video. Weird. Note: The video is Unlisted. Just click on the "Watch this video on YouTube" link if you want to view it. I've tried to set to Public and upload to other sites and it takes too long.

I would like to suggest just trying "re-install" Edge, but you probably already tried or ? :unsure:

Here on my laptop, I had no issues, Edge auto-updated successfully as always 🤷‍♂️

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
I am getting an error regardless of the update.
Another pc is unable to update the edge with the same error.

Japanese bulletin boards are also a little lively on this topic. There was also an opinion that it might be the influence of kb5001330 distributed a few days ago.
キャプチャ.PNG

Jan Willy

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 5, 2019
So I had to restart my system for a different reason and it was updated when I opened Edge, despite still showing the error. It even had the 'what's new in Edge' tab when I opened it.
Perhaps it has something to do with the removal of legacy Edge.

Edit:
So far legacy Edge survived in Windows-Sandbox. Now it's also gone there.
Replaced by MS Edge.

1618588061961.png

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
A lot of people are having the problem that Edge will not update to version 90 today.
Hopefully, Microsoft has noticed that and will fix it for all of us.

I have heard of four options you can try.
  • retry a few minutes later, that option worked for me.
  • restart your system and the update gets installed.
  • terminate Microsoft Edge Update service using Task Manager, close the browser and then relaunched it.
  • download the offline installer from here: Download Microsoft Edge for Business - Microsoft
Or like Woody and Gunther advised, just wait.

Last edited:

YuanJiawj

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 9, 2014
A lot of people are having the problem that Edge will not update to version 90 today.
Hopefully, Microsoft has noticed that and will fix it for all of us.

I have heard of four options you can try.
  • restart your system and the update gets installed.
  • terminate Microsoft Edge Update service using Task Manager, close the browser and then relaunched it.
  • download the offline installer from here: Download Microsoft Edge for Business - Microsoft
Or like Woody and Gunther advised, just wait.
The same for me, it worked on the 5th try, this bug is annoying...

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.