Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Microsoft Edge users who have updated the browser to the latest version, Edge 108 Stable, may have noticed that Microsoft seemingly removed the Forward button from the browser's toolbar. The interface displays Reload and Back buttons only on the left side of the browser's address bar. The Forward button is not gone for good though, as Microsoft Edge hides it automatically if it can't be activated.

Restoring the Forward button in Edge​

microsoft edge forward button

Microsoft Edge displays the Forward button if it can be activated. If it can't be activated, because the user did not go back in the tab, then it is not displayed.

Edge users may restore the classic functionality by making a change in the settings of the web browser.
  1. Load edge://settings/appearance in the Edge address bar.
  2. Scroll down until you come to the "select which buttons to show on the toolbar" section.
  3. Locate Forward button in the listing.
  4. Switch its state from "Show automatically" to "always show"
Edge adds the forward button to the toolbar immediately upon selection.

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
It showed "updating" then "restart to finish" but version remained same 🤔

Edit: And it did that again, without anything actually updating 🤣
View attachment 271131

Edit2: Yup keeps happening again & again. Feedback sent.
Just received an email from MS proving I was not going crazy & there was an issue with the Edge update process.

Good news!! On Dec 05, 2022, you shared with us this feedback:

Edge keeps showing same "To finish updating, restart Microsoft Edge" on version 107.0.1418.62,[…]

We want to let you know that we fixed an issue that's related to this feedback in an upcoming update to Microsoft Edge.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Version 109.0.1518.49 released
Microsoft has released the latest Microsoft Edge Stable Channel (Version 109.0.1518.49), which incorporates the latest Security Updates of the Chromium project. For more information, see the Security Update Guide.

This update contains the following Microsoft Edge-specific updates:

Feature updates​

• Account Linking between a personal Microsoft account (MSA) and Azure Active Directory (AAD) account. Microsoft is enabling users to link a personal Microsoft account (MSA) and Azure Active Directory (AAD) account through work or school. Once linked, users can earn Microsoft Rewards points for Microsoft Bing searches done in their browser or Windows search box while signed in with their work or school account. For more information, see the Account Linking FAQ and the Account Linking IT Admins FAQ. Tenant admins can also control this feature in the Message Center section of the Microsoft 365 Admin Center or by using the LinkedAccountEnabled policy.
  • TLS server certificate verification changes. In Microsoft Edge version 110, the certificate trust list and the certificate verifier will be decoupled from the host operating system’s root store. Instead, the default certificate trust list and the certificate verifier will be provided by and shipped with the browser. The MicrosoftRootStoreEnabled policy is now available for testing to control when the built-in root store and certificate verifier are used. Support for the policy is planned to be removed in Microsoft Edge version 111. For more information, see Changes to Microsoft Edge browser TLS server certificate verification | Microsoft Learn. Note: This is a controlled feature rollout in Microsoft Edge version 109. If you don't see this feature, check back as we continue our rollout.
  • Text prediction. To help you write faster and with fewer mistakes, Microsoft Edge provides word and sentence predictions for long-form editable text fields on web pages. Administrators can control the availability of text predictions using the TextPredictionEnabled policy. Text prediction is currently only available in English within the US, India, and Australia. We will continue to add new languages and regions in future versions of Microsoft Edge.

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014

Edge 109: printing issues​

The printing issues occur if connected printers have special characters such as umlauts. Most users report that printing hangs and is not functioning at all. Quick printing is affected as well as regular printing. Reinstallation of printer drivers and other configuration changes do not resolve the issue.

A quick solution is to change the name of the printer; this should resolve the issue immediately. While the renaming should be unproblematic in home environments, it may not be feasible or as quick of a process in business environments.

Some users affected by the issue could work around the issue by using the shortcut Ctrl-Shift-P to open the system print dialog. Certain file types, including PDF documents, may also be downloaded and opened in another viewer for printing.

Microsoft has not acknowledged the issue at the time of writing. It seems widespread enough to catch the attention of the company. Affected users and system administrators may want to keep on eye on the official release notes page of the browser for updates. Fixes may also land in the Beta channel prior to that.

mkoundo

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Jul 21, 2017
Version 109.0.1518.61 released January 19, 2023

Fixed various bugs and performance issues.
This update contains the following Microsoft Edge-specific update:

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
DoH is broken for me now but not fully. I set Cloudflare DNS (1.1.1.1 & 1.0.0.1) in router and enabled "Use current service provider" in browser. I am connecting to Cloudflare DNS but not using DoH. Although DoH is working when using "choose a service provider" by putting a custom url in browser settings. Feedback sent.
1674204306283.png1674204318595.png1674204333853.png

Edit: I just checked Chrome has same issue.

Edit 2: made it less confusing 🙂

Last edited:

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
Lots of CVEs lately. What's up with that? Back in the early Chrome days sure there were bugs, but it appears as of late it's become an avalanche of bugs.

Maybe more eye's/people trying to find exploits? I hope that's the case.
Google explained the increase in exploits in a blog post last year. Obviously it's more Chrome focused, but many of its points likely apply to Edge too:

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Edge 109.0.1518.61 fixes printing issues – more bugs still open?
Microsoft has released the Edge browser to the stable channel at version 109.0.1518.61 on January 19, 2023. One vulnerability is fixed. Feedback from readers confirms that the umlaut printing issue has been fixed too. It is unclear whether the autocreating of desktop shortcuts for PWAs and Application Guard crashes have been fixed – perhaps readers can add to this.

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
For me this workaround was helpful as I have Edge pinned on my taskbar hence I don't need an shortcut of Edge on my Desktop, after every new update it did come back again ;)

Prevent Microsoft Edge from creating Windows desktop shortcuts​

The workaround requires edits of the Registry. There is a global edit that applies to all Edge channels and edits for each individual version of the web browser.

The global fix
  1. Select Start, type regedit.exe and load the Windows Registry Editor.
  2. Confirm the UAC prompt.
  3. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\EdgeUpdate
    1. Note: if a key does not exist, right-click on the previous one and select New > Key. Name it accordingly and proceed.
  4. Right-click on EdgeUpdate and select New > Dword (32-bit) Value.
  5. Name it CreateDesktopShortcutDefault.
  6. Double-click on the new Dword and set it to 0, if that is not the case already.
You may also download the following archive. It contains a Registry file that makes the change on the system when executed: edge-block-desktop-shortcuts

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
For me this workaround was helpful as I have Edge pinned on my taskbar hence I don't need an shortcut of Edge on my Desktop, after every new update it did come back again ;)

I block shortcuts with Controlled Folder Access
Code:
    C:\Program Data\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu
    C:\Users\oldshool\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch
    C:\Users\oldschool\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.