Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Version 111.0.1661.54: March 24, 2023
Stable channel security updates are listed here.

Feature update​

• Microsoft Edge Sidebar Improvements. The Microsoft Edge sidebar lets users access productivity tools side-by-side with their browsing window. In this release, the sidebar has been enhanced to increase productivity and improve user experience. As communicated in our last release (Microsoft Edge release notes for Stable Channel), the sidebar now includes a toolbar button by default to access the experience. If admins enable the Discover app, hovering and clicking the toolbar button will invoke both the sidebar tower, and the new discover experience. With this release, admins now have the ability to disable the Discover app and still keep the Sidebar. In this situation, the Sidebar tower will always be shown. If a user would like to hide their sidebar from always showing, they can do this in their Sidebar settings (edge://settings/sidebar). Additionally, Enterprise users can choose to 'always show' or 'auto hide', when an admin 'enables' the Sidebar. More customization options for the sidebar toolbar button are planned in future versions of Microsoft Edge. For more information, see Manage the sidebar in Microsoft Edge.
Microsoft has released the latest Microsoft Edge Stable Channel (Version 111.0.1661.54) which incorporates the latest Security Updates of the Chromium project. For more information, see the Security Update Guide.

This update contains the following Microsoft Edge-specific updates:
Microsoft Edge ChannelMicrosoft Edge VersionBased on Chromium VersionDate Released
Stable111.0.1661.54111.0.5563.110/.1113/23/2023
Extended Stable110.0.1587.78110.0.5481.2083/23/2023

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Version 111.0.1661.54: March 24, 2023

Yes 👏, they finally added the ability to disable that hideous button and DoH is working properly now (you need to delete the registry first, if you used that method to disable discover button).

edge://settings/sidebar/appSettings?hubApp=2354565a-f412-4654-b89c-f92eaa9dbd20

1679735887418.png

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016

Captain Holly

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 23, 2021
I am glad MS made the change so we can disable Bing search. I am still not at all interested in AI or robots or crypto wallets and I think MS still has a lot more changes to make. I did try Mint again and so far have not had any slowdowns or broken websites. I think my earlier problem with that was due to either slow internet from my ISP or possibly a glitch in my new router/modem combo. These last few days my internet has been fine though. There is a world of difference between MS and Mint. Right now FF in Mint Cinnamon is working very well for me.

C.H.

Digmor Crusher

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 27, 2018
I am glad MS made the change so we can disable Bing search. I am still not at all interested in AI or robots or crypto wallets and I think MS still has a lot more changes to make. I did try Mint again and so far have not had any slowdowns or broken websites. I think my earlier problem with that was due to either slow internet from my ISP or possibly a glitch in my new router/modem combo. These last few days my internet has been fine though. There is a world of difference between MS and Mint. Right now FF in Mint Cinnamon is working very well for me.

C.H.
Agree, not that it matters much to me though, I use Chrome 99% of the time.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Yes 👏, they finally added the ability to disable that hideous button and DoH is working properly now (you need to delete the registry first, if you used that method to disable discover button).
Yes, but because I had previously disabled all sidebar 'features' my Bing icon was still showing. The root of the problem with Edge is there are so many settings, and so many of them are buried behind other settings, it's simply become too complex to manage. Imagine the average Edge user who is not an Insider or geek. They will be oblivious or hopelessly lost in the quagmire. So in my opinion this update does little to redeem Edge and get it back into my good graces.

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Yes, but because I had previously disabled all sidebar 'features' my Bing icon was still showing. The root of the problem with Edge is there are so many settings, and so many of them are buried behind other settings, it's simply become too complex to manage. Imagine the average Edge user who is not an Insider or geek. They will be oblivious or hopelessly lost in the quagmire. So in my opinion this update does little to redeem Edge and get it back into my good graces.
With so many new "features" added, finding the exact setting is like walking through maze.

• Applause
Reactions: Nevi and oldschool

Captain Holly

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 23, 2021
Agree, not that it matters much to me though, I use Chrome 99% of the time.
I agree, I use Chrome on Windows too. Edge has just gotten so convoluted trying to be everything to everybody and overloaded with bloat that I just don't like using it any more. My wife uses Edge though and she is fine with it the way it is, like millions of other people I suppose. She does not pay much attention to system updates or browser features changes, as long as the browser works and she can get online is all she really cares about. I make sure she knows about important updates when they come around.

C.H.

toto_10

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Feb 12, 2017

Version 112.0.1722.34: April 6, 2023​

Stable channel security updates are listed here.

Feature update​

• Enhanced security mode improvements. Enhanced security mode now supports WebAssembly for ARM64. Cross-platform support is now available for x64 Windows, x64 macOS, x64 Linux and ARM64 systems. For more information, see Browse more safely with Microsoft Edge.
  • Added features for web app policy. The WebAppInstallForceList policy lets administrators configure a list of web apps that install silently, without user interaction, and which users can't uninstall or turn off. This policy now supports custom_name, which permanently overrides the app name of installed apps and custom_icon, which permanently overrides the app icon of installed apps.
  • In-browser JSON viewer. Improvements to how JSON files are displayed in the browser, which includes a color-coded tree view with line numbers and the ability to collapse and expand the data. This functionality will trigger automatically when the browser navigates to a JSON file on the web or the user opens a local one. Additional features and enhancements will roll out as available. For more information, see View formatted JSON - Microsoft Edge Development. Note: This is a controlled feature rollout. If you don't see this feature, check back as we continue our rollout or you can navigate to edge://flags and search for JSON Viewer to manually enable.
  • Updated new tab page policy. The NewTabPageHideDefaultTopSites policy hides the default top sites from the new tab page in Microsoft Edge. Starting on March 20th, when the policy is enabled it will also remove sponsored quick links from the new tab page.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Reactions: vtqhtr413

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Updated to version 112.0.1722.48

No release notes yet, but probably a fix for the recent Chrome zero day:
Microsoft is aware of the recent exploits existing in the wild. We are actively working on releasing a security fix.

While we get the security fix rolled out, it is worth highlighting that Microsoft Edge's enhanced security mode feature mitigates this vulnerability. You can opt-in to this security feature and have peace of mind knowing that Microsoft Edge is protecting you against this exploit. Note: After the security fix is released, make sure you update your browser.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Updated to version 112.0.1722.48

No release notes yet, but probably a fix for the recent Chrome zero day:

Changelog now available:
Microsoft has released the latest Microsoft Edge Stable Channel (Version 112.0.1722.48). This update contains a fix for CVE-2023-2033, which has been reported by the Chromium team as having an exploit in the wild. For more information, see the Security Update Guide.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.