Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Microsoft Edge VersionDate ReleasedBased on Chromium VersionChrome Release BlogHighest Severity Fix in ReleaseCVEs
80.0.361.693/19/202080.0.3987.149Chrome Releases BlogHighCVE-2020-6422, CVE-2020-6424,CVE-2020-6426,CVE-2020-6427,CVE-2020-6428, CVE-2020-6429,CVE-2019-20503,CVE-2020-6449
They linked to the wrong Chrome Release, should been:

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Update on Stable channel releases for Microsoft Edge:
Updated 3/31/2020 – Following the updated Chromium schedule, we are adjusting our schedule for upcoming Microsoft Edge releases and cancelling the version 82 release. Microsoft Edge 81 will release to Stable in early April, followed by an early release of Microsoft Edge 83 in mid-May.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Plan for change: TLS 1.0 and TLS 1.1 soon to be disabled by default
As announced in October of 2018, Microsoft will soon disable Transport Layer Security (TLS) 1.0 and 1.1 by default in Microsoft browsers. In light of current global circumstances, we will be postponing this planned change—originally scheduled for the first half of 2020.

For the new Microsoft Edge (based on Chromium), TLS 1.0 and 1.1 are currently planned to be disabled by default no sooner than Microsoft Edge version 84 (currently planned for July 2020).

For all supported versions of Internet Explorer 11 and Microsoft Edge Legacy (EdgeHTML-based), TLS 1.0 and TLS 1.1 will be disabled by default as of September 8, 2020.

While these protocols will remain available for customers to re-enable as needed, we recommend that all organizations move off of TLS 1.0 and TLS 1.1 as soon as is practical. Newer versions of the TLS protocol enable more modern cryptography and are broadly supported across modern browsers, such as the new Microsoft Edge.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
FYI

I had requested (like more Members on this forum) for some changes in the new tab page

Search engine box on new tab page.
Currently only Microsoft's own Bing Search engine is displayed at the center of the New Tab Page (even when you change the search engine for the adres bar). It seems from they will implement this request in an upcoming release. Because Microsoft did not exactly mention how they will implement this, I guess they will use the same search engine as the user specified as search engine (for the adress bar).

Blank new tab page
Old Edge had the option to display a completely blank new tab page. This will be implemented in new Edge chromium in future.

P.S.
At the same time (october 2019) I had also requested for a more privacy respecting smartscreen URL check mechanism. Have not heard about that request (and it is also not listed in the feature request list, so I think that one is rejected).

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

FYI

I had requested (like more Members on this forum) for some changes in the new tab page

Search engine box on new tab page.
Currently only Microsoft's own Bing Search engine is displayed at the center of the New Tab Page (even when you change the search engine for the adres bar). It seems from they will implement this request in an upcoming release. Because Microsoft did not exactly mention how they will implement this, I guess they will use the same search engine as the user specified as search engine (for the adress bar).

Blank new tab page
Old Edge had the option to display a completely blank new tab page. This will be implemented in new Edge chromium in future.

P.S.
At the same time (october 2019) I had also requested for a more privacy respecting smartscreen URL check mechanism. Have not heard about that request (and it is also not listed in the feature request list, so I think that one is rejected).
Can you give a link to the feature requests?

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
They are right at the top currently: Top Feedback Summary for March 31

I got two emails for first and second (the third-one is already implemented for active directory and device managed instances, see link NewTabPageLocation). Although they have no ETA yet, it seems they have decided to assign resources to those requests.

1586076119969.png

1586077113982.png

1586077140980.png

Last edited:

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
They are right at the top currently: Top Feedback Summary for March 31

I got two emails for first and second (the third-one is already implemented for active directory and device managed instances, see link NewTabPageLocation). Although they have no ETA yet, it seems they have decided to assign resources to those requests.

View attachment 236283

View attachment 236285
View attachment 236286
They claim they've implemented the ability to hide the search bar in the dev/canary builds but I don't see the option in either build. So either they haven't or it's incredibly well hidden.
The ability to use another search provider via the search bar was in there though, although it's not implemented particularly well; typing in the search box simply types directly in the address bar.

Another big issue is that Edge's new tab page connects directly to MSN, and for anyone using it in the EU/UK the NTP throws up a big cookie warning banner at the top of the page that reappears every time you create a new tab/launch a new session. And the only way to get rid of said banner is to allow the MSN-related cookies that get dropped after clicking the banner to sit in your browser forever.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.