Serious Discussion Microsoft Edge Stable (Chromium) Now Available for Download

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Clicking with the mouse wheel over a bookmark in the favourites bar to open it in a new tab is working for me. Running version 80.0.361.109 on Windows 10 (1909) here.
I was talking about this. Opening new tab from the tab bar using mouse wheel. Currently tabs can be closed using mouse wheel but not open. I can do this in Firefox and also possible in Opera but not in Edge, Brave and Chrome too I guess.
fire.gif

AlexCa

From Windows Repair Toolbox
Verified
Developer
Apr 30, 2016
I was talking about this. Opening new tab from the tab bar using mouse wheel. Currently tabs can be closed using mouse wheel but not open. I can do this in Firefox and also possible in Opera but not in Edge, Brave and Chrome too I guess.
View attachment 236294

Oh, I wasn't even aware of that functionality. Yes, it happens the same with me. It closes, but it won't open new tabs.

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
but I don't see the option in either build. So either they haven't or it's incredibly well hidden.

The probable reason is that certain features are only rolled out to some users on a given version, i.e. Canary or Dev, and not to all those using the same version. They may do this geographically or use some other method.

How do I make a request for opening a new tab using mouse wheel?

Open "Help and feedback" > "Send feedback" right in the browser.

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

I find this very useful. So I was thinking about making a feature request. But how do I do that?
On keyboard type: control + T ;)

For New Tab Page I use Microsoft Edge Addons (Blank Tab), I disabled Microsoft SmartScreen and Tracking protection and use Adguard instead with Mapware Protection (Google + Yandex Safe Browsing) and only two filters: Top500 and Less Alphabet (both of former MT member Kees1958 aka Windows_Security).
Did you disable the warning on Windows security center that SmartScreen is off?
Also why disabled tracking protection?

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
On keyboard type: control + T ;)

Did you disable the warning on Windows security center that SmartScreen is off?
Also why disabled tracking protection?
Yes, disabled that also. When Microsoft info on group policy settings is true most usage related telemetry can be set off. Only one remaining was smartscreen, so I decided to use Adguard extension malware protection for URL blocking.

To be honest, the top500 list blocks all trackers and advertisements with my browsing habits. Using uBlockCompanion the 3rd-party footprint of Adguard with top500 was less than edge anti tracking on strict.

This is probably related to the fact that Microsoft uses Disconnect which is North America focussed, while Kees1958 claims his list is also suitable for West Europe. Since I am also Dutch (like Kees1958/W_S) this small top500 list works well for me. That is why I decided to disable anti-fracking.

The top500 also blocks more for me than Peter Low's or Steven Black's lists.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Got an update to version 80.0.361.111 today, no changelog yet.
Probably: Stable Channel Update for Desktop

Think we will get version 81 soon.

Edge updates are published (with a delay) here:
Release notes for Microsoft Edge Stable Channel
Chromium Security Updates for Microsoft Edge

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
I wonder how many people left the new edge on the basis of that privacy study a couple weeks ago? I have found myself drifting back to it purely on the basis of use ability and slickness. It’s like Chrome, but better! And now with more data! But seriously I like this browser. Slowly dragging me away from Firefox. Every update in the stable channel makes it that much better.

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

I wonder how many people left the new edge on the basis of that privacy study a couple weeks ago? I have found myself drifting back to it purely on the basis of use ability and slickness. It’s like Chrome, but better! And now with more data! But seriously I like this browser. Slowly dragging me away from Firefox. Every update in the stable channel makes it that much better.
The only bad thing was/ is that every URL is transmitted by SmartScreen - which can be turned off. If they change that to a better one, no problem exist.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
The only bad thing was/ is that every URL is transmitted by SmartScreen - which can be turned off. If they change that to a better one, no problem exist.
And if they are doing what they say with the data, even that isn’t a big deal. There’s always a privacy panic about something. It’s unfortunate, though, since smartscreen is very good at blocking the bad sites.

Gangelo

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jul 29, 2017
I don't think that sensible users changed their browser to something else after reading the 'privacy' study (more like a telemetry study).
In the same way that sensible users do not change their AV every time it doesn't get a perfect score at AV-Comparatives..

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
I don't think that sensible users changed their browser to something else after reading the 'privacy' study (more like a telemetry study).
In the same way that sensible users do not change their AV every time it doesn't get a perfect score at AV-Comparatives..
I was being somewhat sarcastic. I don’t think many people at all changed, or turned off smartscreen. In fact most people don’t care about telemetry/privacy. And most who do just don’t want their p*rn history or torrenting habits out there. This isn’t to say privacy is not a good thing, but I think for most people telemetry like this isn’t much of a thing. Include me in people who still use edge chromium, with smartscreen on. :eek:

Edit: it’s not my main browser yet. I jump between multiple. I can’t seem to land somewhere that I like the best. But I mostly use Firefox and Edge stable, and more often I just use Edge. But I’ll always have multiple browsers installed.

Gangelo

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jul 29, 2017
Privacy and telemetry are two different things that most people confuse with each other. I have said before that MS getting telemetry from my Edge installation does not invade my privacy. Selling the data to ad analytics and other 3rd parties does. But this is a discussion for another thread / topic. ;)

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Privacy and telemetry are two different things that most people confuse with each other. I have said before that MS getting telemetry from my Edge installation does not invade my privacy. Selling the data to ad analytics and other 3rd parties does. But this is a discussion for another thread / topic. ;)
Agreed, I actually just posted to mostly express my satisfaction with the current state of Edge stable. 👍

Gangelo

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jul 29, 2017
I know and wasn't talking about you when I said 'most people'. I was talking about the people that change browsers every time there is a privacy article online like the one for Edge. I am also pretty much settled on Edge and do not plan to change in the near future.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.