Serious Discussion Microsoft Edge Stable (Chromium) Now Available for Download

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
I'm having a problem getting rid of some Bing images that don't seem to go away when you submit the feedback "not a fan" on the home page, change the modes OR when you close/reopen the browser. Anyone else? It's not a big deal, just annoying, like gum stuck to the bottom of your shoe. I made a little clip of the issue--it started after the latest update--to 83.0.478.58

Since I forgot you could send this, thanks for reminder, oldschool, I also sent feedback. Actually, I don't want to reset to defaults or reinstall. Hopefully it's a transient thing.

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Here's two thing I'm finding a bit annoying. If I click on a link from the favorites bar or make a web search, the URL bar texts are kept automatically selected.

Yes, this is happening for me also--it seems just from the Bookmarks bar and with a new tab already open.

If I click somewhere below that into the freshly loaded webpage, the light blue highlighting goes away. :rolleyes:

Mops21

Level 34
Verified
Honorary Member
Content Creator
Oct 25, 2014
Hi

They can add this to the Browser

Microsoft Defender Browser Protection

With best Regards
Mops21

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Hi

They can add this to the Browser

Microsoft Defender Browser Protection

With best Regards
Mops21
:rolleyes: You should better going to research before making such suggestions...
Edge-chromium browser: there is no need to add "Microsoft Defender Browser Protection" it's already built-in known as "SmartScreen"

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Last edited:

Mops21

Level 34
Verified
Honorary Member
Content Creator
Oct 25, 2014
:rolleyes: You should better going to research before making such suggestions...
Edge-chromium browser: there is no need to add "Microsoft Defender Browser Protection" it's already built-in known as "SmartScreen"

Hi

Thank you very much for your Infos

With best Regards
Mops21

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Last edited:

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
where does session data stored? Sometimes it doesn't restore the session after shutdown
Maybe this helps?

Tutman

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 17, 2020
I had a strange thing start happening after the latest Edge update for me. I was trying to do a screen recording and I have the program set to use F1 as my hot key to stop the recording...BUT everytime I hit F1 it was bringing up the Edge browser to windows help page! So i found this site and little registry fix. FYI for anyone this happens to!

How to Stop F1 Help Key From Opening Bing Search in Windows 10?

Last edited by a moderator:
L

Local Host

I had a strange thing start happening after the latest Edge update for me. I was trying to do a screen recording and I have the program set to use F1 as my hot key to stop the recording...BUT everytime I hit F1 it was bringing up the Edge browser to windows help page! So i found this site and little registry fix. FYI for anyone this happens to!

How to Stop F1 Help Key From Opening Bing Search in Windows 10?

F1 is the default key for help on Windows, is unrelated to Edge.

Is a bad key to use as shortcut.

razorfancy

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Nov 27, 2016
My Edge Chromium just updated to version 84.0.522.40

LHe5gsj.png

Release Notes:

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 85179

My Edge Chromium just updated to version 84.0.522.40

LHe5gsj.png

Release Notes:
Me too. I read the news on this german site and after i click on "info about Edge" i got the update from 83.0.478.64 to 84.0.522.40.

• This version of Microsoft Edge provides improved site list download times for Internet Explorer mode. We’ve reduced download delay for the Internet Explorer mode site list to 0 seconds (down from a 60-second wait) in the absence of a cached site list. We’ve also added group policy support for cases when Internet Explorer mode home page navigations need to be delayed until the site list is downloaded.
  • Microsoft Edge now allows users to sign-into the browser when it’s „run as administrator“ on Windows 10. This will help customers running Microsoft Edge on Windows server or in remote-desktop and sandbox scenarios.
  • Edge now provides full mouse support when in full screen mode. Now you can use your mouse to access tabs, the address bar, and other items without having to exit full screen mode.
  • Online purchase improvement. Add custom nicknames to saved debit or credit cards. Now you can distinguish and differentiate your credit cards when making online purchases. Nicknaming your debit or credit cards lets you choose the correct card when using autofill to select a payment method.
  • TLS/1.0 and TLS/1.1 are disabled by default. To help discover impacted sites, you can set the edge://flags/#display-legacy-tls-warnings flag to cause Microsoft Edge to display a non-blocking „Not Secure“ notice when loading pages that require legacy TLS protocols. The SSLVersionMin policy permits re-enabling of TLS/1.0 and TLS/1.1. This policy will remain available until at least Microsoft Edge version 88.
  • Collections improvements:
    • A note capability is added that lets you add a note or comment to an item in a collection. Notes are grouped together and stay attached to an item even if you sort the items in a collection. To try this new feature, right-click on an item and select „Add note“.
    • You can change the background color of notes in collections. You can use color coding to help you organize information and increase productivity.
    • There are noticeable performance improvements, which lets you export your collections to Excel in less time than in previous versions of Microsoft Edge.
  • PDF improvements:
    • Read Aloud for PDF lets users listen to PDF content while carrying out other tasks that may be important for them. It also helps audio visual learners focus on reading the content, making learning easier.
    • PDF file editing is improved. Now you can save an edit made to a PDF back to the file instead of saving a copy each time you edit the PDF.
  • Microsoft Edge now enables Translation in the Immersive Reader. When a user opens the Immersive Reader view, they get the option to translate the page to their desired language.

@Gandalf_The_Grey where are you? :D

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Me too. I read the news on this german site and after i click on "info about Edge" i got the update from 83.0.478.64 to 84.0.522.40.

@Gandalf_The_Grey where are you? :D
Sorry, I was sleeping :D

This built also has quiet notifications:
Aantekening 2020-07-17 085833.png

And next to the chromium security updates one for Edge only:
July 16, 2020
Microsoft has released the latest Microsoft Edge Stable Channel (Version 84.0.522.40), which incorporates the latest Security Updates of the Chromium project. For more information, see the Security Update Guide.

This update contains the following Microsoft Edge-specific update:

CVE-2020-1341 | Microsoft Edge (Chromium-based) Elevation of Privilege Vulnerability
Security Vulnerability
Published: 07/16/2020
MITRE CVE-2020-1341

An elevation of privilege vulnerability exists in Microsoft Edge (Chromium-based) when DLL files are allowed to download without prompting additional warning to the user. An attacker who successfully exploited this vulnerability could drop the DLL files on the users Download folder (or equivalent) and gain elevated privileges.

To exploit the vulnerability, the user must browse to a malicious website that is design to download a DLL file and click on the page to being the process. In an email attack scenario, an attacker could send an email message in an attempt to convince the user to go to the malicious site.

The vulnerability by itself does not allow arbitrary code to run. However, this vulnerability could be used in conjunction with one or more vulnerabilities (for example a remote code execution vulnerability and another elevation of privilege vulnerability) to take advantage of the elevated privileges when running.

The security update addresses the vulnerability by introducing additional security measures on Microsoft Edge (Chromium-based) and prompting a user warning before completing a DLL file download.

The chromium updates:

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.