Serious Discussion Microsoft Edge Stable (Chromium) Now Available for Download

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
WebRTC in itself is important to understand is a browser feature, not a VPN feature. Still it's always highly recommended to test/check for any so called WebRTC leaks. Especially if one is using a VPN as one of the main feature of a VPN is after all to hide/block your Local machines IP. More then likely also a reason why most WebRTC leak tests are found on VPN vendors sites. It can not be repeated enough as people sadly starts use VPN services and still very unnecessarily gets their Local IP revealed.
classic-game-over-screen-by-el-tortuga-d5eeh9l.gif
Today many browser vendors include a built-in option that easy can disable WebRTC if wanted/needed.

Latest stable Edge Chromium version along with a VPN I don't know if it actually leaks ones local IP. I could confirm if I had it installed. @rockstarrocks and @South Park result says it don't. This is without any extra extension/add-on like AdGuard or uBO etc if I understood correct.

A few more WebRTC leak tests that I can recommend.

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Some VPN protocols block the leak on their client. But, this isn’t about a vpn leak it’s about disabling the function of WebRTC not working in uBo I think.
I thought we were talking about "WebRTC Leak". I mean if you connecting to a website w/o a VPN then why would you care about WebRTC showing your actual IP address, it already has your actual IP address. Why does it matter if it's getting IP via WebRTC? Treat me like a noob, I just wanna understand this.
I have two VPNs and neither of them are leaking my IP (or should I say actual IP) via WebRTC.

WebRTC in itself is important to understand is a browser feature, not a VPN feature. Still it's always highly recommended to test/check for any so called WebRTC leaks. Especially if one is using a VPN as one of the main feature of a VPN is after all to hide/block your Local machines IP. More then likely also a reason why most WebRTC leak tests are found on VPN vendors sites. It can not be repeated enough as people sadly starts use VPN services and still very unnecessarily gets their Local IP revealed.
classic-game-over-screen-by-el-tortuga-d5eeh9l.gif
Today many browser vendors include a built-in option that easy can disable WebRTC if wanted/needed.

Latest stable Edge Chromium version along with a VPN I don't know if it actually leaks ones local IP. I could confirm if I had it installed. @rockstarrocks and @South Park result says it don't. This is without any extra extension/add-on like AdGuard or uBO etc if I understood correct.

A few more WebRTC leak tests that I can recommend.
Annotation 2020-07-30 155820.JPG

It says there is a leak but that's not my IP, that's the IP of VPN server. So is it a leak????:unsure:

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
View attachment 244797

It says there is a leak but that's not my IP, that's the IP of VPN server. So is it a leak????:unsure:
Nope. That is not a leak. For example if your ISPs IP or your routers IP is shown, that's a leak you should be concerned about. Extra so if your Local IP is there in the test. That's the worst scenario and a major Red flag/warning.

Your VPN providers IP is a perfect result and shows your VPN works. (y)

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
I thought we were talking about "WebRTC Leak". I mean if you connecting to a website w/o a VPN then why would you care about WebRTC showing your actual IP address, it already has your actual IP address. Why does it matter if it's getting IP via WebRTC? Treat me like a noob, I just wanna understand this.
I have two VPNs and neither of them are leaking my IP (or should I say actual IP) via WebRTC.

View attachment 244797

Oh you're not a noob. It's a popular discussion among people talking about VPNs. But, in this case this is happening for people using uBo with the setting to disable it (without a VPN). If your VPN is blocking/changing IP it then it isn't testing if uBo is working to disable it.

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
I hadn't disabled the WebRTC setting in uBlock Origin's Privacy section. I also do not use a vpn. So, is it an entry in an import? Or a firewall rule? Theoretically, it seems you can achieve a green, leak-free result without a vpn or even disabling that setting, but it's not always clear how this happens. Not looking a gift horse in the mouth, though.

ubo set.PNG

webretc.PNG

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
Hiding public IP address of WebRTC only makes sense when you are using VPN to hide your IP address.

Edge has an option to open an application guard (hardware virtualized) sandboxed window and now Windows Defender has an option to run sandboxed, when would we see them combined (Edge Content Processes running in real hardware virtualized environment)?

Last edited:

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
I shut it off and this is the result Could it be a rule of H_C Firewall Hardening which I put back on here. Perhaps, if Andy Ful sees this portion of the thread, he can provide valuable insight. These browser leak tests use Javascript? Edge remains set to "Strict."

I don't have any other security at the moment b/c I'm evaluating this installation of Windows versus going to an Insider build.

ATTACH type="full" alt="sans ubo.PNG"]244810[/ATTACH]

edited spoiler setting

Attachments

• sans ubo.PNG
    sans ubo.PNG
    104.6 KB · Views: 189
Last edited:

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Rock-steady here. chromium Edge plus BitDefender's blog page.

Runs fine here, even smoother then on your firefox gif
The gif is not smooth enough so it's looks a bit laggy there.
Disabling extensions don't fix it either so not sure what's wrong. Anyway, this is the only page with this issue so won't bother much.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.