Serious Discussion Microsoft Edge Stable (Chromium) Now Available for Download

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Found a sort of bug on Edge. If you use an AV that does HTTPS scanning and later uninstall that AV, the sites where you were logged in or cookies were not deleted, you would see that Edge is still showing the certificate of that previous Antivirus not the original one the site use. The certificate it shows is not even present in the windows certificate store. Edge even tells you that the certificate is not trusted and not present in the trusted root certificates.
I checked this with ESET and Kaspersky and I'm sure this is not their fault, they uninstalled properly and didn't leave their root certificate behind. This is a bug of either Edge or Chromium in general. Firefox didn't have this problem and was normal as usual.
All my cookies are automatically deleted except few sites where I choose to stay logged in and only those sites were affected by this on Edge.
Clearing cookies, restarting the browser fix this certificate problem. So this is a cookie related bug. Now I wonder if the direct saving of unnecessary file in the cookie that I mentioned in my security config was a bug of Edge because a script (.js) directly saving on the disk instead of a typical cache file that every browser stores is very unusual I think. I blamed Microsoft Defender there but now it seems instead it's a bug of Edge because again, I didn't have this problem on Firefox.

If the certificate issue is just a visual error then it's not too serious security wise but if not then it's a seriously serious issue.
Unfortunately I forgot to took screenshots. Damn it! But if anyone is interested then you can try reproducing this in a VM/by taking a system backup before trying so. If anyone is already familiar with this behavior/bug then let us know.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Received this message on NTP for Edge Version 86.0.622.56 (Official build) (64-bit).

Can anyone confirm whether this appears for Bing search users, or Edge in general?

1604151689028.png

Manage Preferences - not changed any settings from this window.
1604151997244.png

mkoundo

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Jul 21, 2017
Yes, i got the same. My address bar search is set to google but my new tab search is set to bing.

On the "always active" entries, i clicked on the + and then deselected whatever it was they were trying to force feed. (y)

Reactions: Protomartyr

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
There was a complaint of Edge's slow opening over at Wilders and someone there mentioned Edge's not opening to the user-defined homepage but to the default blue-green one. It seems to be more widespread than just a few. Anyone seeing this right now? It's happening on here also.

The fall-back one hour time change may be a part of it but I guess we'll have to wait it out, as usual.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I got the same on newtab site. I don't use Bing so this is Edge in general
Does it appear on every launch of the browser?

I use "Clear browsing data on close", so it appears every time. Which domain(s) should I exclude from cookie clearing?

Reactions: Protomartyr

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.