Serious Discussion Microsoft Edge Stable (Chromium) Now Available for Download

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
There is a problem with updating from the Edge menu.
After applying it, I follow the instructions to restart Edge, and it asks me to restart again; it hasn't changed since 90.0.818.51. Strangely, however, the app in the settings section shows 90.0.818.56.

The update was applied properly without this problem on another PC, so I think it's an individual environment issue, but I'm finally considering reinstalling the app since changes and fixes from the app don't improve the situation.

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
I had to do it several times till in kicked in. About - Edge said updating and without a hitch to restart, but it did not actually download nor install anything, until the last time.
No matter how many times I repeated it, there was no change. I wanted to clarify the ending, so I reinstalled the edge and solved the problem. Along with a small sense of accomplishment, I feel a sense of defeat as if I had abandoned the match.:coffee:

mkoundo

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Jul 21, 2017

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Microsoft says Edge 91 will be the best-performing browser on Windows 10:
Microsoft's Build event for 2021 is about to kick off, and with it comes a torrent of announcements for developers and businesses. But there's also some news for Edge users, which are getting an update to version 91 later this week. Microsoft has said that, after the update, Edge will be the most performant browser on Windows 10, thanks to improvements made to two features: startup boost and sleeping tabs.

First off, startup boost will help Edge launch even faster by running some core Edge processes in the background. Microsoft says this doesn't use additional resources when Edge windows are open. Naturally, to keep background processes running, some resources do have to be used before the browser is opened, though.

As for sleeping tabs, Microsoft says it can help you save up to 82% in memory usage by putting inactive tabs to sleep. When a tab is put to sleep, Edge can do things like pause ads immediately, saving up resources right off the bat. There are also some Windows-specific improvements to save system resources in this update. You can customize sleeping tabs so they're put to sleep after a specific period of time, and protect certain websites from going to sleep if there's a risk of losing important content.

Edge 91 is currently available in the Beta channel, so we already have a good idea of what other features will be in the stable release, like new color themes available out of the box, a new price history feature, and a password monitor.

These user-facing announcements come on top of some developer news like the general availability of WebView2 in WinUI 3. Additionally, PWAs can now be submitted to the Microsoft Store.

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Microsoft says Edge 91 will be the best-performing browser on Windows 10

Hmm, well we'll see about that. I'm checking out these new-ish features but they're kind of hidden and obscure--how typical of Microsoft, right? :rolleyes:

1. Browser task manager (right-click on an empty space around the rim of the browser, it's in the menu 2nd from bottom).
2. Web Capture (within the three-dots menu, under "Print." OR right-clicking somewhere on the webpage OR showing the widget on toolbar via Settings/Appearance) Source

One issue w/the task manager is that it's not always on top so the Web Capture couldn't um, capture it. I had to use Snipping Tool. Further, in order to get the image from Web Capture, I had to open Paint3D and paste it in. If anyone knows of a better way to get your image, pls. tell. Opera's version is superior in this respect.

Anyone using these with any regularity? What do you think? Apologies if someone already posted an opinion, this thread is so big.

edge task manager.PNG
edge web capture.PNG

Edit: aha, startup boost and sleeping tabs will make v. 91 hot to trot. Well I don't use either since Edge runs like a top regardless. In what scenario would you use these? If you don't have a lot of memory installed?

Last edited:

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Edit: aha, startup boost and sleeping tabs will make v. 91 hot to trot. Well I don't use either since Edge runs like a top regardless. In what scenario would you use these? If you don't have a lot of memory installed?

My user experience for "sleeping tabs" (manually enabled via flags) it works flawless since more than 6 weeks, RAM memory usage lower than before (y)

"startup boost" below guide (from yesterday) shows how to disable completely:

Last edited:

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
And the rollout has started... got 91.0.864.37 by checking for updates.
No official release notes yet.

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Did anyone actually apply any new theme? Some look a little too much like candy, but I did settle on "Morning Fog" myself. The name sorta reminds my of myself in the early hours, staggering for the coffee. :D:whistle::coffee: Looks pretty nice, though. I have a custom image on the new page that coordinates with it. Too bad the "search the web" bar is there--someone told me about getting an extension for that. Hmmm.:unsure:

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
MS trying to be smart? When DNS blocks a webpage (malware/filtering), Edge tries to connect using GoogleDNS.
While it is an interesting feature, it beats the point of DNS filtering and most people just do not block outbound.

Attachments

• capture_05282021_011345.jpg
    capture_05282021_011345.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 168

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.