Serious Discussion Microsoft Edge Stable (Chromium) Now Available for Download

F

ForgottenSeer 92963

I did not know that @ticklemefeet meant WDAG's sandbox, but Edge Application Guard is based on VM and certainly is a lot stronger and safer than Sandboxie which is based on kernel and user mode hooks to catch all sorts of request on the real system. Hardware virtualisation (Edge Application Guard) always beats software virtualisation (Sandboxie) in terms of security and compatibility (less hassle and breakage).

F

ForgottenSeer 69673

Yes I am sorry I am not a man of enough words. Windows Defender Application Guard will not be activated by default.

On top of this I run it in Shadow Mode They call me Mr overkill for short.

Old school? I have not used DUI for a while now so goes Dan (VS) have this setting?

Thanks, you guys

wat0114

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 5, 2021
In terms of containment it is stronger than sandboxie (AppContainer has lower rights than Untrusted).
Hi Kees,

I have done some testing, and I can only see Appcontainer when I open a New Application guard window on my Pro version of Windows 11. Otherwise, the renderers are shown as Untrusted under normal (not using Application Guard) sessions. So I don't think Home versions of Windows can run Edge under Appcontainer containment. Can you verify please?

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019

F

ForgottenSeer 92963

Hi Kees,

I have done some testing, and I can only see Appcontainer when I open a New Application guard window on my Pro version of Windows 11. Otherwise, the renderers are shown as Untrusted under normal (not using Application Guard) sessions. So I don't think Home versions of Windows can run Edge under Appcontainer containment. Can you verify please?
I checked on my wife's laptop (Windows 11 Home) and I see AppContainer subprocesses
1640603799140.png

F

ForgottenSeer 92963

@wat0114

I have no idea why AppContainer does not show up. Could you try to disable EdgeApplicationGuard and shut down (wait 3 secs) and re-start and enable AG again to make sure AG uses the the latest settings of the host?

Also check with regedit whether the RendererAppContainerEnabled (and AudioSandboxEnabled) are still set to 1 (enable)?
1640611802226.png

Edit (read the thread on WS)
My wife runs as Admin on her laptop. On my Windows 10 Pro desktop PC (I am lazy) I promoted my limited user account to ADMIN temporary to run my regfile and demoted that limited user to standard user again. Running the regfile as ADMIN sets these HKCU values to the user running with Admin rights, so maybe you should promote your standard account to check whether the HKCU values are set to the correct user.

Last edited by a moderator:
F

ForgottenSeer 92963

@wat0114

I did not set the registry keys manualy but used a regfile (rename attached .TXT to .REG when you want to use it). key point is the HKCU (Current User) registry is changed of your standard user (that is why I promoted my standard user account to admin temporary, to make sure the correct HKCU was changed). When you ran an elevated REGEDIT.EXE, the HKCU of your admin account was probably changed (that is why it I guess AppContainer is not showing up in your standard user account).

Attachments

• Edge_AppContainer.txt
    758 bytes · Views: 211
Last edited by a moderator:

wat0114

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 5, 2021
@wat0114

I did not set the registry keys manualy but used a regfile (rename attached .TXT to .REG when you want to use it). key point is the HKCU (Current User) registry is changed of your standard user (that is why I promoted my standard user account to admin temporary, to make sure the correct HKCU was changed). When you ran an elevated REGEDIT.EXE, the HKCU of your admin account was probably changed (that is why it I guess AppContainer is not showing up in your standard user account).
Kees,

thank you so much!! :D I know I've pestered you a lot lately, so thank you for your time and patience and for sharing your expertise :)

edge appcontainer-enabled.png

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Hurrah! More bloatware 😒

F

ForgottenSeer 92963

On my old Xeon 6 core with SSD the cold launch dropped from 2.5 to 1.2 seconds because M$ cheats with preloading Edge at startup. but consecutive hot launches raised from 0.45 to 8.5 because of all the bloat it added to Edge (even when I don't use the additional bloat code takes extra time load from memory). (n)

I tried Woolyss Chromium and the first cold launch is slower (1.8 second), but next repeat hot launches are around 0.4 seconds with AppTimer.

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014

Is Microsoft adding too many controversial features to its Edge browser?​

Closing Words

Is Microsoft adding too much bloat to Microsoft Edge, and if so, why? Some commenters believe that Microsoft could use a trial and error approach to development of features, to keep those that offer a positive return and drop others that don't. Since Edge is Chromium-based, adding features that Chrome, Edge's main competitor, does not have, may also play a role here.

Others believe that Edge has too many cooks that make decisions, and that this leads to a perceived feature bloat because of a missing overall strategy in regards to the browser.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
And another one....

Edge: Has Microsoft lost its track?
Interesting question that just crossed my path. It revolves around whether Microsoft has lost its compass in the development of the Chromium Edge browser and is growing a new bloat ware. At least, that's the question that crosses your mind when you see what developers are making out of Edge.
Hope Microsoft is paying attention to the sentiments on the web 🤔
But I'm afraid they are not.

ErzCrz

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019
Bloat puts me off Edge. I got really annoyed with the Shopping with Edge feature that is enabled by default. One of the reasons I go back to FF often.

Anyway, if M$ puts out a setting to have a slimline version of edge rather than with everything, that'd be great. Otherwise you have to turn everything off manually :S

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.