Advice Request MsTech Folder Icon Pro 4.2.0.0 flagged by F-Secure DeepGuard

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

MacDefender

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Oct 13, 2019
Were you doing something in particular when hitting a DeepGuard detection? It looks like it's an icon resource modifier which probably can trigger ransomware protection if you attempt to operate on protected folders.

This seems safe to whitelist yourself and though it's annoying, it does seem like it's a "correct" triggering of the protected folders style feature for flagging modifications to your personal files.

nastavnikhe

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Content Creator
Dec 16, 2012
I sent the file for verification-https://www.f-secure.com/en/business/support-and-downloads/submit-a-sample

There is another problem, the software cannot be started after reinstalling on Windows 10 version.Not compatible with win 10 but it was installed and worked properly!?

nastavnikhe

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Content Creator
Dec 16, 2012
Greetings,

Thank you for your submission.

Based on our analysis, we found that the application is blocked by DataGuard. DataGuard is a feature that strengthens DeepGuard by monitoring specific folders on your computer to prevent untrusted applications from modifying your files.

When DataGuard blocks an application that you trust and need to use, ask your administrator to add it to the list of trusted applications. You can also try reinstalling the application using the default folder suggested during installation.

For instructions on how configure the list of trusted applications, please visit:
Setting up DataGuard - Policy Manager
Setting up DataGuard - Computer Protection

If there is anything else we can help you with, please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Best regards,
M. F.
Junior Malware Analyst
F-Secure Customer Protection

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
MSTech have been offering a lot of normally paid for software for free on various giveaway sites recently. I don't have any of their software and have never used any, I'm suspicious when I see a particular vendor which has not been known previously for providing 'free' software, suddenly doing so, with a range of products. Softpedia and MajorGeeks both claim to provide 'safe' software and MSTech products appear on both sites.

Just saying!

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.