Advice Request My computer not running genuine Windows ???

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Weebarra

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 5, 2017
I'm not sure if i have posted this in the correct sub forum but i'm sure someone will move it if i have made a mistake. :unsure:

Anyway, i received a pop up message out of the blue today stating the words in my thread title. Now considering my wee laptop has been running this for about 7 years or so, i'm confused. Do i just ignore it or do i need to try and resolve it. I don't want to close the warning window in case it shuts down my computer completely and i can't get it started again so i'm looking for advice on what to do.(y)
I've checked my pc and it is still showing that my product key as activated.

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
It's a laptop so you have a valid OEM license so don't worry about it. Click resolve and try the steps. If if doesn't work you can try multiple methods to activate as you have the key either in the back of the laptop or it's saved within the machine.

Weebarra

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 5, 2017
Thank you all for the replies. I thought it was a ploy from Microsoft to get me to go buy a W10 machine :ROFLMAO:

I did do a bit of googling about it and saw the steps needed to try to resolve it but they were from a few years ago but it would still be the same method as it's the same error code. But i like an easy life (i think that translates to being a slob/lazy bleep) so i may just ignore it until it pees me off enough then i will resolve it.
@sepik, i have downloaded your diagnostics tool and may (or not :p) run it later if i have nothing else to do.

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Thank you all for the replies. I thought it was a ploy from Microsoft to get me to go buy a W10 machine :ROFLMAO:
But i like an easy life (i think that translates to being a slob/lazy bleep) so i may just ignore it until it pees me off enough then i will resolve it.
This issue can probably prevent some Windows updates, so do not be lazy too long.:giggle:(y)

Weebarra

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 5, 2017
This issue can probably prevent some Windows updates, so do not be lazy too long.:giggle:(y)

Man, i'm going to have to get my arse out of the chair and do something now because my hero Mr @Andy Ful told me to get my butt in gear. (y):p

I you can't solve it on your own call Microsoft support. The few times I needed them these last few years they were really nice and always tried to solve the problem.

I should be fine @mlnevese, i read instructions on how to fix it , i just didn't want to :eek: but thanks for your input, it's greatly appreciated and the same goes to everyone else who replied (y)

F

ForgottenSeer 69673

It appears you got an update in Jan 19th that was messed up. it has since been fixed. Did you try updating again?

"Microsoft has rolled out fixes for serious bugs that surfaced after last week's Patch Tuesday update for Windows 7 machines, which blocked network shares and wrongly reported legitimate instances of Windows 7 as 'not genuine'.
Microsoft on Friday revealed that the false 'not genuine' notifications and activation failures were not caused by last week's cumulative update or security-only patch for Windows 7.
Instead, the notifications were down to a change it had made to the Microsoft Activation and Validation Server that coincided with the patch release. The events are not related, according to Microsoft.
Microsoft says it reverted the change to its backend activation and validation server on January 9, a day after sysadmins discovered Windows 7 PCs were affected"

Andy Ful

Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Man, i'm going to have to get my arse out of the chair and do something now because my hero Mr @Andy Ful told me to get my butt in gear. (y):p
Ha, ha, hopsasa. I am rather closer to heron.:giggle:
It seems, that your problem is going to be solved by the next update.:emoji_pray:

Edit.
If the Windows Update will work.:unsure:

Last edited:

Weebarra

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 5, 2017
Thanks @ticklemefeet and @Andy Ful (who has now been demoted to a Heron :p) Today is the first time i've seen that message, the last update i received was on the 15th of this month but on looking a moment ago there are 2 optional updates waiting and although they don't seem to mention my issue, i will install them anything. Especially if it means i can sit my fat arse back on the couch again and just keep clicking the message away. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
I'm not sure if i have posted this in the correct sub forum but i'm sure someone will move it if i have made a mistake. :unsure:

Anyway, i received a pop up message out of the blue today stating the words in my thread title. Now considering my wee laptop has been running this for about 7 years or so, i'm confused. Do i just ignore it or do i need to try and resolve it. I don't want to close the warning window in case it shuts down my computer completely and i can't get it started again so i'm looking for advice on what to do.(y)
I've checked my pc and it is still showing that my product key as activated.
Why not use Daz loader with your OEM license and activate it. Genuine users needs to verify if the license is fake or not!

Weebarra

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 5, 2017
Why not use Daz loader with your OEM license and activate it. Genuine users needs to verify if the license is fake or not!

Thanks @Vasudev, i got Daz but i'm not sure if i used it correctly, is this correct ?

Sorry but i couldn't resist that

No seriously, the message hasn't reappeared since i applied those 2 updates and rebooted so hopefully it is sorted now so thank you guys (y)

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
Thanks @Vasudev, i got Daz but i'm not sure if i used it correctly, is this correct ?

Sorry but i couldn't resist that View attachment 209038

No seriously, the message hasn't reappeared since i applied those 2 updates and rebooted so hopefully it is sorted now so thank you guys (y)
Daz is good guy. He helped me getting my BIOS updated in less than 5 mins after he PM'ed to test if it works when Dell hasn't even bothered to release the Spectre patches and MEI FW patches even after 3 months of disclosing the exploit. I even managed to patch MEI FW to latest version after Daz's update. When Dell released their update, they bricked MEI and causing lot of issues and after 6 months they released new version that fixes all issues that faulty BIOS brought it.
After the patching, I'm grateful to Daz and he even managed to put up a guide with step by step procedure for BIOS uCode patching and distribute it w/o any strings attached and stressed not to credit him too much because he didn't do anything!

Weebarra

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 5, 2017
We must admit Microsoft is making everything possible to make all versions of Windows "not boring" :D

You are not wrong there !!! The message appeared again today so i clicked on the resolve now link within the message ................ guess what ? The bloody page doesn't exist anymore :ROFLMAO: Yayyyy way to go Microsoft, stress me out then stick your tongue out at me. (n)

Daz is good guy. He helped me getting my BIOS updated in less than 5 mins after he PM'ed to test if it works when Dell hasn't even bothered to release the Spectre patches and MEI FW patches even after 3 months of disclosing the exploit. I even managed to patch MEI FW to latest version after Daz's update. When Dell released their update, they bricked MEI and causing lot of issues and after 6 months they released new version that fixes all issues that faulty BIOS brought it.
After the patching, I'm grateful to Daz and he even managed to put up a guide with step by step procedure for BIOS uCode patching and distribute it w/o any strings attached and stressed not to credit him too much because he didn't do anything!

Thanks @Vasudev and i know that it probably helped you but for some reason, i just didn't trust DAZ. I may have been reading it all wrong (highly likely) but it looked like he was dishing out W7 keys to solve it and it just seemed a bit dodgy to me but i still thank you for taking the time to reply.

Andy Ful

Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
You are not wrong there !!! The message appeared again today so i clicked on the resolve now link within the message ................ guess what ? The bloody page doesn't exist anymore :ROFLMAO: Yayyyy way to go Microsoft, stress me out then stick your tongue out at me. (n)
You should not complain. Those 2 updates resolved your old problem, anyway. They introduced the new problem, which only by accident looks like the old one. So, no worry. There is progress, and you can sleep soundly. M$ will solve all your problems soon.:giggle::emoji_innocent:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.