Advice Request My license is gonna expire, what's next?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

What should I do when my EIS license expires around mid-January 2021?

• 1. Renew EIS, keep your current configuration (check first post for details)

Votes: 36 59.0%
  • 2. Don't renew EIS, use MB Premium + Windows Firewall Control

Votes: 4 6.6%
  • 3. Don't renew EIS, don't use MB Premium, switch to Emsisoft

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • 4. Don't renew EIS, use MB Premium + Emsisoft combination (would it really be relevant though!?)

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • 5. Actually what I think you should do is... (Post your suggestion)

Votes: 10 16.4%

• Total voters

PlayerFromTheITtic

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
May 19, 2014
Hello there, fellow MalwareTipsers!

Hope you're all doing okay as this unusual year is about to end in a couple weeks.

So I'd like to have your feedback about what should be my next move. You see, for Real-Time Protection I'm currently using ESET Internet Security with custom settings (among them, firewall is set to Interactive Mode, HTTPS filtering is disabled and root certificate hasn't been added to known browsers) plus Malwarebytes Premium (using a lifetime license). But EIS license will expire around mid-January 2021...

I'd like to have security app that is quite light in resource usage, effective enough against most of the modern threats , not too pricey, and privacy-conscious.

Few more things to consider:

• Preferably, it should avoid performing HTTPS Filtering through a root certificate (potential risk of MitM privacy/security issue), that's why my choice would be more inclined towards MB and/or Emsisoft Anti-Malware Home.
  • Please refrain from suggesting Avast/AVG, Bitdefender, COMODO, Kaspersky, Microsoft Defender (plus any Windows/Defender "hardener" app) and Qihoo 360.
  • I'm using NextDNS system-wise, and as main security extension for browsers my choice goes to Malwarebytes Browser Guard. Keep in mind my question is more focused on a system level, so please don't suggest security browser extensions.
  • If your suggestion implies a purchase, it'd be nice if you could post a link to buy a licence for such product at cheaper cost on a not-shady website, must be activatable in France.
  • Malwarebytes has constantly been improving their product to support their claim it could suffice on their own, so try not to judge this product quickly, version 4.3 was released a few days ago, the slightly clumsy launch of 4.0 one year ago is quite behind us now...

So with such context, what do you think I should do when EIS license expires? I'd appreciate even more if you take the time to explain your choice in a post.

Thanks in advance for your feedback, stay safe everyone and happy malware-free surfing!

Last edited:

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
I would like to suggest just using Emsisoft Anti-Malware and beside installing Windows Firewall Control, the overall protection would be strong enough!

In case you want to continue using even MB Premium, just add exclusions in settings of EAM and the same for MB, but system slowdowns are always possible ;)

Andrew3000

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Feb 8, 2016
I agree with what @silversurfer said.
You're better off saving money and using MalwareBytes (alternatively EAM) + WFC.

WFC is very easy to use and configure. You will have no problems.
I also suggest disabling the execution of macros in office (even if MB's anti-exploit works fine) if you don't need them and to block LOLBins through the Windows firewall.

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Kind of curious, why the exclusions you mentioned? Some of the best performing suites are on that list.
OP mentioned that he may would like to use in Real-Time Protection both software together, so exclusions of main-processes by EAM & MB are probably necessary to avoid conflicts between Emsisoft Anti-Malware and Malwarebytes Premium as both running fully enabled as Real-Time Protection in this case...
You see, for Real-Time Protection I'm currently using ESET Internet Security with custom settings (among them, firewall is set to Interactive Mode, HTTPS filtering is disabled and root certificate hasn't been added to known browsers) plus Malwarebytes Premium (using a lifetime license). But EIS license will expire around mid-January 2021...

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
The fact that you mentioned other combinations in your Poll may indicate that you do not necessarily want to stay with ESET Internet Security.

Malwarebytes Premium is currently on the Holiday Sales at 40% off for a single user/device. Link below:

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Just stick what you are familliar with and what you trust and love. do not get suckered into that rabbithole changing your security setup more often , than your underwear ;) :) I would use Malwarebytes Am as an on demand scanner only , Eset is fine on its own!
Come on, where is the fun in that? :D

F

ForgottenSeer 89360

Any product based on Bitdefender is not heavy, but not the the lightest either, especially during an update process when it's copying large amount of data from folder to folder. Updates are also quite frequent.
Renew your ESET security, as after the exceptions you have mentioned, this is your best choice.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.