Results are only viewable after voting.

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
Downloaded Windows 10 iso but the iso file size is 5 GB and blank DVDs available is 4.7 GB. Is there a way to burn the iso image to USB drive to work with secure boot. The iso image is on Ubuntu and need to install Windows on my PC.

Reactions: shmu26

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
Downloaded Windows 10 iso but the iso file size is 5 GB and blank DVDs available is 4.7 GB. Is there a way to burn the iso image to USB drive to work with secure boot. The iso image is on Ubuntu and need to install Windows on my PC.

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
Will try the tool after some hours. Need to sleep now. Will the bootable USB drive work with Secure Boot? Last time I used Rufus and it did not work with secure boot (had to disable secure boot to install Windows)

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
I don't do online banking which I should have stated, but their Shields UI is so user-friendly I can't see why it would be an issue. Remember, their mission with Shields is to keep the web usable, e.g. you may report a broken site right from that same UI when you drop Shields. (y) The couple of times I've needed to drop Shields I had Privacy Possum or ClearURLs to handle anti-tracking.
I have used Brave for online banking and the Shields didn't cause any issues; my settings and extensions are mostly as recommended by a certain very helpful person on MT.(y)

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Will try the tool after some hours. Need to sleep now. Will the bootable USB drive work with Secure Boot? Last time I used Rufus and it did not work with secure boot (had to disable secure boot to install Windows)
That was true in the past, but UEFI secure boot should not be a problem nowadays.

B

BVLon

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
If you create bootable usb by formating it in FAT32 by Rufus then it would work with secure boot enabled but if you format it in NTFS then it would require you to disable secure boot before installation. This is a known issue of Rufus because it uses a bootloader which is open source and safe but Microsoft only trust their own bootloader that's why the term "secure boot" is used. Even though Rufus is faster than anything out there and you can manually enable secure boot later but still I don't recommenced Rufus to anyone anymore because of this extra hassle. There's no need to format your usb drive to FAT32 or disable secure boot only for Rufus. You can try other alternative tools. Microsoft has their own tool for this. It hasn't been updated in 11 years, maybe because it doesn't require any updates. It works perfectly fine for any system Legacy or UEFI (y)

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Sounds like this is the way to go. But you need a Windows system to run it.

People with VirtualBox on their linux system can use it, though. If they don't have a Windows VM, it can easily be created from the downloaded ISO, and if it is Windows 10, it doesn't require activation to get basic functionality.
They will also need VirtualBox Extension Pack to be installed on the Linux host, as well as add their user account to the vboxusers group. And they need guest additions to be installed in the VM.
If they do all this, they can mount their USB stick in the VM, and run windows media creation tool.
Sounds like fun, huh????

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
You have version 19.1, or you continue with version 18.
I switched over to 19.1. They worked out a lot of the issues, I am pretty happy with it. The new Xfce desktop on MX19 does use a little more RAM than the older version, but that is the price of progress. The increase in RAM usage has been noted also by users of other distros with Xfce. Currently, KDE uses slightly less RAM than the new Xfce. But who cares. :)

bribon77

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
I switched over to 19.1. They worked out a lot of the issues, I am pretty happy with it. The new Xfce desktop on MX19 does use a little more RAM than the older version, but that is the price of progress. The increase in RAM usage has been noted also by users of other distros with Xfce. Currently, KDE uses slightly less RAM than the new Xfce. But who cares. :)
I have the ISO prepared, but I am using more Debian, if I have time and I install it.
Thank you.(y)

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
Hello from Elementary OS! I started to worry as I am becoming addicted to testing Linux distros. Anyway, I am enjoying Elementary OS the most. It is the more Windows-like distro. One drawback is the absence of "minimise button" in system apps. You need to right click the bar and then choose minimise. I think they are trying to force users to use their multitasking option. Firefox and Libreoffice are not installed by default and the Software store is different from Ubuntu's snap store and offers very limited apps. Anyway, it is very easy to install snap store and I did it needs a system restart to appear into your apps. I installed Firefox and Libreoffice from Ubuntu Archive Repository. Everything is working as intended.

Screenshot from 2020-03-18 21-01-58.png

B

BVLon

Hello from Elementary OS! I started to worry as I am becoming addicted to testing Linux distros. Anyway, I am enjoying Elementary OS the most. It is the more Windows-like distro. One drawback is the absence of "minimise button" in system apps. You need to right click the bar and then choose minimise. I think they are trying to force users to use their multitasking option. Firefox and Libreoffice are not installed by default and the Software store is different from Ubuntu's snap store and offers very limited apps. Anyway, it is very easy to install snap store and I did it needs a system restart to appear into your apps. I installed Firefox and Libreoffice from Ubuntu Archive Repository. Everything is working as intended.

View attachment 235051
Could you please try Intel's ClearLinux? I tried to install it, but I always have issues with my network adapter and GPU...

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.