Rui

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jun 7, 2014
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
Several blue screens. Proper boots but my desktop only shows up for 3 minutes
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
I tried to install Windows 10 from scratch, but I don't have a pen, I will buy it tomorrow
Hi buddys!

I don't want to bother but something serious is happening with my machine.

Since yesterdy night my PC was shuting down several times, right after the desktop image appeared.
I did system restore and it worked until I left my house to college, earlier in the morning. I update my pc and turned it off...

When I came back home, I turned on my PC and the old mighty blue screens were back on track...

My Pc only worked for 5 minutos each time...

Then, I thought I could install W 10 from scratch just to eliminate all kinds of problems, but I didn't succedeed since I only had 2 DVD'S and none of them worked properly.

Can you help me to put my PC back on top like it used to be?

Honestly, I don't what the hell happend... Because now seems ok, but I know it's not...

Reactions: omidomi

Piteko21

Level 18
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 13, 2014
I dare to say the same. may be a hardware problem. but it is best try to isolate the problem to find what really is affecting the computer.
I advise you to do a clean installation and see if the problem continues.
can be an HDD problem, in my case my old HDD worked fine but after some time he died and crashed the pc...

Upvote 0

Solarquest

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 22, 2014
Does the fan work? Can you start in safe mode or with a rescue/boot cd/dvd? If yes, do you still have the same issues?
I had one time the same issue, the motherboard was "dying"....save your important data!

Reactions: Rui and Vasudev
Upvote 0

Rui

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jun 7, 2014
I can't clean install because I sent my (pc) laptop like 3 months ago to the stor wwhere I bought it, so they could clean install W 8.
Therefore, I do not have the Windows DVD.
But yesterday after I System Restored my (pc) laptop (sorry guys, I'm portuguese and we are used to say Pc instead of laptop but it is a laptop)
worked fine. The problem was right after I updated...
It was right after the windows update.
Well here it is my results:
Thanks in advance.

can you post screenshoot or code of your BSOD? maybe we can help you understand the root cause problem of your PC BSOD

It was "kernel" something... it was too fast

Does the fan work? Can you start in safe mode or with a rescue/boot cd/dvd? If yes, do you still have the same issues?
I had one time the same issue, the motherboard was "dying"....save your important data!

Yeah, the fan works (its a laptop, I said pc because in portugal we are used to say that way, but it is a laptop)

That's weird... 0 Crashes :(

upload_2015-10-1_4-1-32.png

So, is W10 a good solution?
I wish when I bought this laptop, W8 DVD was included :(

Upvote 0

Solarquest

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 22, 2014
Can you start in safe mode or with a rescue/boot cd/dvd? If yes, do you still have the same issues?

Reactions: Rui
Upvote 0

Solarquest

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 22, 2014
I would first start the laptop in safe mode and see if I still have the problem (without network first).
5 Ways To Boot Into Safe Mode In Windows 8.1

Do you have another Malware Free Pc/laptop?
If yes you can download and then burn the Eset rescue .iso on a Dvd and start the pc from this dvd.
ESET Sysrescue Live
You can test the memory and if I'm not wrong even check the Hd.
Of course you can/should update Esets malware database and then scan the pc for malwares.

I also found these posts you can read:
Understanding BSOD Information
How To Use Windows Reliability Monitor?
Antivirus Rescue CD/USB - Bootable Tools of Scanning and Removal of malwares

I'm sure other exerts on this site will provide even more help and infos.

Good luck/ boa sorte!;)

Upvote 0

Rui

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jun 7, 2014
I would first start the laptop in safe mode and see if I still have the problem (without network first).
5 Ways To Boot Into Safe Mode In Windows 8.1

Do you have another Malware Free Pc/laptop?
If yes you can download and then burn the Eset rescue .iso on a Dvd and start the pc from this dvd.
ESET Sysrescue Live
You can test the memory and if I'm not wrong even check the Hd.
Of course you can/should update Esets malware database and then scan the pc for malwares.

I also found these posts you can read:
Understanding BSOD Information
How To Use Windows Reliability Monitor?
Antivirus Rescue CD/USB - Bootable Tools of Scanning and Removal of malwares

I'm sure other exerts on this site will provide even more help and infos.

Good luck/ boa sorte!;)
Thanks a lot! :D
I will try it :)

EDIT: My dvd doesn't burn. I will buy a pen after classes. Well, anyone can suggest things to do.
Tell me if I should consider installing W10 although people say it's not the worth it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Solarquest

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 22, 2014
I forgot one thing..if you don't have problems in safe mode, I would start command promt as admin and do a scan with "sfc / scannow"

You can also try again to restore the laptop to a previous time again.
Windows 10? I like it better than windows 8...but first I would check if you have a sw or a hw problem. .

Reactions: frogboy and Rui
Upvote 0

Rui

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jun 7, 2014
Back home. Same thing again :(
Two kinds of errors:
- kernel security check failure;
- DPC watchdog

Upvote 0

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Don't update to Windows 10 yet.Not because some people say it is not worth it but because you need to fix the problem you are having before you update to Windows 10.

DPC Watchdog has been seen in Windows 8/8.1/10 it is usually do to outdated drivers,outdated SSD drivers,hardware incompatibility with Windows or a Windows errors
If you can before you get a BSOD run a chkdsk

Run a command prompt as an Administrator

Code:
chkdsk C: /F /R

Enter y and hit enter when it asks if you would like to do it on next restart.The restart your computer and it will run on reboot.

Sounds to me it might be a problem with your video/graphics card driver.I would make sure the drivers are updated from the manufacturer and not Windows update.
I would do a system restore to a point before you noticed this problem again.If everything is good then check for Windows updates but do not install them.If there were optional updates for graphics or any other hardware take note but do not install these.Then go to the manufacturer site and download and install them.It could also be a certain Windows update causing the problem as it wouldn't be the first time Windows update has caused a BSOD.You would have to go through and install each one at a time to find the culprit.

If the above doesn't work then maybe take note of the questions below to help you figure out the possible reason for the DPC watchdog violation BSOD
Do you have an SSD? If so check the drivers
Have you made any recent hardware changes or upgrades just prior to getting these BSOD's?
Have installed any new software just prior to this happening?

Upvote 0

Rui

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jun 7, 2014
I did you said and I updated my drivers with drvier boost. 32 drivers were updated. Then it rebooted after the program asked me to do it.
I switched the pc off as it asked me to update if I wanted to reboot by my own.

What should I do?
Update the pc or not?

Thank you for your patience :)

Upvote 0

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
Back home. Same thing again :(
Two kinds of errors:
- kernel security check failure;
- DPC watchdog
Try Hirens and run check disk. And did you update Intel RST & MEI using win update? if so there are glitches with latest ones causing micro-stutters which degrades performance during slipstreaming Windows updates. Also try running mbam present on HBCD on 8.1. If everything fails, then run tweaking.com's windows repair AIO

Upvote 0

Rui

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jun 7, 2014
Well, I don't know.
However, today morning I updated using Driver Booster.
Like I said before, I updated y drivers using Driver Boost.
The Driver Bosster's reboot wored fin and now I'm on my Laptop, yesterday I was here on my tablet.
But if I want to reboot using the windows one, it asks me to "update and rebbot"...
I'm really worried with window update :(

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Šovelén

Level 3
Verified
Mar 29, 2014
Well, I don't know.
However, today morning I updated using Driver Booster.
Like I said before, I updated y drivers using Driver Boost.
The Driver Bosster's reboot wored fin and now I'm on my Laptop, yesterday I was here on my tablet.
But if I want to reboot using the windows one, it asks me to "update and rebbot"...
I'm really worried with window update :(

"However, today morning I updated using Driver Booster." No, no, no, no NO !!! Do not use IOBIT software ! These Chinese guys have been written many... :( And for drivers rule number one: if it works, do not touch it - if you're not 100% sure !!! Potential improvements in no way compensate for real trouble!

Reactions: Vasudev and frogboy
Upvote 0

Rui

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jun 7, 2014
Well, firstly i Run a command prompt as an Administrator

chkdsk C: /F /R
Enter y and hit enter when it asks if you would like to do it on next restart. Like exterminator 20 said

Then, i updated with driver booster and then when i rebooted windows insalled one update.
Evertything seems fine, but, should i need a pen with w10 just in case?

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.