Rui

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jun 7, 2014
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
Several blue screens. Proper boots but my desktop only shows up for 3 minutes
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
I tried to install Windows 10 from scratch, but I don't have a pen, I will buy it tomorrow
Hi buddys!

I don't want to bother but something serious is happening with my machine.

Since yesterdy night my PC was shuting down several times, right after the desktop image appeared.
I did system restore and it worked until I left my house to college, earlier in the morning. I update my pc and turned it off...

When I came back home, I turned on my PC and the old mighty blue screens were back on track...

My Pc only worked for 5 minutos each time...

Then, I thought I could install W 10 from scratch just to eliminate all kinds of problems, but I didn't succedeed since I only had 2 DVD'S and none of them worked properly.

Can you help me to put my PC back on top like it used to be?

Honestly, I don't what the hell happend... Because now seems ok, but I know it's not...

Reactions: omidomi

Rui

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jun 7, 2014
Is it running stable now?
A little bit but it ran stable from Friday to Yesterday... :(

Just as a quick scan/check, did you download process explorer from
https://download.sysinternals.com/files/ProcessExplorer.zip
and run as administrator the .exe in the zip file you downloaded?
Activate under option scan with Virustotal and submit unknown files.
Did you check if something suspect / malicious is detected?
I ran two programs: GMER and Process exxplorer with Total Virus and aswMBR.

What should I do?
I saw one NVIDIA update, should I install it?
Thaks for all your kindness and patience. All of you are helping me :)

Attachments

• GMER.log
    52 KB · Views: 328
  • PEVT.TXT
    7.4 KB · Views: 352
  • aswMBR.txt
    2.4 KB · Views: 384
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Solarquest

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 22, 2014
you might have the somoto toolbar but this shouldnt cause your BSOD.
I would disinstall the driver update utility and update all drivers by www.amd, www.intel, ww.nvidia.com

Reactions: Rui
Upvote 0

RmG152

Level 12
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
"However, today morning I updated using Driver Booster." No, no, no, no NO !!! Do not use IOBIT software !
Agreed 100% with this. ;)

Driver Booster is a good tool if you only update video, audio and network drivers and ignore another.

You cannot perform a clean installation of Windows 10, unless you have purchase a new license from Microsoft.

That's not true, you can perform clean install from dvd, usb.

Reactions: Rui and frogboy
Upvote 0

Šovelén

Level 3
Verified
Mar 29, 2014
Driver Booster is a good tool if you only update video, audio and network drivers and ignore another.

Video, audio and even network drivers can perhaps everyone update manually...
Driver Booster (and others such software)it is interesting at a time, when the computer is completely unknown hardware, or it can not find drivers "manually"... But still applies: "Measure twice, cut once" !

Reactions: Rui and frogboy
Upvote 0

Rui

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jun 7, 2014
Sometimes, my laptop stays awaken for hours. Should i install clean windows 10 (it's free) when my laptop decides to stay awake?
I have nothing to lose :(

Upvote 0

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
This could solve your problem ;)

Apparently, this issue occurs because the iastor.sys driver, is not compatible with Windows 10. Microsoft is aware of this problem and is currently investigating ways to solve this issue, by preventing the driver from being migrated when upgrading to Windows 10.

DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION Stop Error
GIPQaSz.png

As a workaround, Microsoft has suggested that you replace the problematic driver with the Microsoft iastor.sys driver.

To do this, follow this procedure:

Right-click on the Start button to open the WinX Menu and select Device Manager. Expand IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers.

FpidwcY.png

Select the controller with SATA AHCI in its name.

To verify that you’ve selected the right controller, right-click the controller, select Properties, click the Driver tab, and then Driver Details. Verify that iastor.sys is a listed driver, and click OK.

Now, from the Driver tab, select Update Driver. Next, select Browse my computer for driver software.

MaJUiVa.png

Select Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer, and then finally select Standard SATA AHCI Controller.

Click on Next and follow the procedure to install the driver.

Restart your Windows 10 computer.

Upvote 0

Rui

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jun 7, 2014
    • I still have W 8.1, but i will try your method as soons as my laptop swiches on properly...

Upvote 0

Rui

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jun 7, 2014
Update:

I tried what you said. Everything seems.
However, just to make sure: Should I clean install windows 10 on a PEN
Or go to "Update and recovery -> Recovery -> Remove everything and install windows -> Fully clean the drive

(NOTE: I don't have the Official DVD, BUT I DO HAVE the official version, as it was installed by the store where I bought it when i sent the laptop there to clean it)

Upvote 0

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Update:
I tried what you said. Everything seems.
However, just to make sure: Should I clean install windows 10 on a PEN
Or go to "Update and recovery -> Recovery -> Remove everything and install windows -> Fully clean the drive
(NOTE: I don't have the Official DVD, BUT I DO HAVE the official version, as it was installed by the store where I bought it when i sent the laptop there to clean it)

Meaning you have an OEM version of Windows 8.1?
A clean install of Windows 10 is the best option however I have done both the upgrade and clean install and have had success with both.

Upvote 0

Rui

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jun 7, 2014
Meaning you have an OEM version of Windows 8.1?
A clean install of Windows 10 is the best option however I have done both the upgrade and clean install and have had success with both.
1st question - Yes

2nd question - Someone told that i can make a real "clean install" of w10.
Is there some tutorial here about w10 clean installing?
Thank you all for your patient with. If I need to install w10 in my pen, i'll install now before my laptop fails again--

Upvote 0

Rui

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jun 7, 2014
Do I need to install something else like "genuine ticket", so I have a full license key and proper clean install

Upvote 0

Solarquest

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 22, 2014
First, back up all your important data and settings.
If you have a valid win 8 key, I would create a bootable medium with win 10 using the media creating tool.

Then install win 10 by upgrading win 8.1.
Then you can boot from your medium and do a clean install.

Reactions: Rui
Upvote 0

Rui

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jun 7, 2014
First, back up all your important data and settings.
If you have a valid win 8 key, I would create a bootable medium with win 10 using the media creating tool.

Then install win 10 by upgrading win 8.1.
Then you can boot from your medium and do a clean install.
PEN USB
or
ISO File?

I saw an article that said we need the "genuine ticket file" to clean install and to have a license key.

Upvote 0

Solarquest

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 22, 2014
PEN USB
or
ISO File?

I saw an article that said we need the "genuine ticket file" to clean install and to have a license key.

As far as I know, when you upgrade from win 8.1 no key is needed since you already have one.
When you update and connect to internet, Microsoft will " see" it.
Noxt time you install win 10 again, no key needed, when asked, press "skip".
You can see your current key as the windows 10 one with a simple script.

How to Find Your Lost Windows or Office Product Keys

I just gooogled, the genuine ticket file is needed to do a win 10 install by scratch without upgrading win 8 before.
The original way is to first update, then clean install.
I did it this way and had no problems at all.

How to clean install Windows 10 directly without upgrade - gHacks Tech News

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.