Nerdie's Config!

D

Deleted member 178

Approved by Staff

2s9jymOt.jpg

good config, i see you are using Demonsaw and softEther too ;)

shukla44

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 14, 2016
Super configuration. Nothing to add really, choice of software is very well thought of like MCshield, DoNotSpy & Binisoft firewall. I presume they go well together?

Thanks a lot for sharing...

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
Very solid config; Nice and simple. :p

Have you considered a system backup solution?
System images allow you to restore the exact state of your system, as it was at the time of backup.
They can save you the hassle of formatting and re-installing your OS in case of a disaster.
Reliable free software for this purpose is Paragon Backup & Recovery Free Edition, AOMEI Backupper Standard and Macrium Reflect Free.

Here is an alternative for disabling data mining in Windows 10, in case you ever want to try something else: Spybot Anti-Beacon for Windows

Also, is there a particular reason why you are running the x86 version of Windows?
Are you facing any hardware/software compatibility issues with the x64 version?

Great config overall, you're good to go!
Thanks for sharing your config with us! :p

Last edited:

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Thank you for sharing your configuration with us here, Nerdie. Your setup reflects a well balanced approach for both security & the protection of your privacy.:) Correcting overlaps with software, as Inkurax advised above, shall reward you with a lighter quicker functioning system.

Consider using Chrome's built-in blocker (for third party cookies).
  1. Choose settings, and scroll down to "Show advanced settings".
  2. Under "Privacy" <click> the "Content Settings" button.
  3. Check the box beside "Block third-party cookies and site data".
  • Additionally, you might choose to mark the circle "Keep site data only until end of session"

Nerdie

Level 1
Thread author
Jan 13, 2016
Very solid config; Nice and simple. :p

Have you considered a system backup solution?
System images allow you to restore the exact state of your system, as it was at the time of backup.
They can save you the hassle of formatting and re-installing your OS in case of a disaster.
Reliable free software for this purpose is Paragon Backup & Recovery Free Edition, AOMEI Backupper Standard and Macrium Reflect Free.

Here is an alternative for disabling data mining in Windows 10, in case you ever want to try something else: Spybot Anti-Beacon for Windows

Also, is there a particular reason why you are running the x86 version of Windows?
Are you facing any hardware/software compatibility issues with the x64 version?

Great config overall, you're good to go!
Thanks for sharing your config with us! :p

I just backup what important files I have using a USB Drive or cloud solution. Also I use the x86 version because of my computer only having 4GB RAM (which would work on x64 too..) but I think it works better with x86.

Reactions: DracusNarcrym

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
I just backup what important files I have using a USB Drive or cloud solution. Also I use the x86 version because of my computer only having 4GB RAM (which would work on x64 too..) but I think it works better with x86.
x64 or x86 versions are mostly referring to the architecture of your CPU, not the RAM amount or frequency.

In any case, x64 Windows versions come with Patch Guard, a kernel-mode protection mechanism designed to intercept any attempts at the modification of core system resources in Windows.
Patch Guard, as well as other underlying security features, are NOT implemented in x86 versions,.
Aside from this, x64 OS versions allow for more than 4 gb of RAM, and offer greater performance on modern systems than x86 OS versions.

Thus, as @Huracan stated, you are facing multiple disadvantages using x86 Windows.

As for application compatibility, it is verified that Windows x64 is backwards-compatible with the vast majority of x86 applications, meaning that software designed for x86 systems will also work on x64 systems.

So, in the end, I am inclined to believe that, if your hardware supports it, you should install a x64 operating system, in order to benefit from the aforementioned features. :p

Nerdie

Level 1
Thread author
Jan 13, 2016
x64 or x86 versions are mostly referring to the architecture of your CPU, not the RAM amount or frequency.

In any case, x64 Windows versions come with Patch Guard, a kernel-mode protection mechanism designed to intercept any attempts at the modification of core system resources in Windows.
Patch Guard, as well as other underlying security features, are NOT implemented in x86 versions,.
Aside from this, x64 OS versions allow for more than 4 gb of RAM, and offer greater performance on modern systems than x86 OS versions.

Thus, as @Huracan stated, you are facing multiple disadvantages using x86 Windows.

As for application compatibility, it is verified that Windows x64 is backwards-compatible with the vast majority of x86 applications, meaning that software designed for x86 systems will also work on x64 systems.

So, in the end, I am inclined to believe that, if your hardware supports it, you should install a x64 operating system, in order to benefit from the aforementioned features. :p

Well I forgot to mention the CPU is also terrible. Once I get on my main Windows computer I will share what type of CPU it is. But I normally go with Linux so yeah. I don't do anything stupid on my Windows machine and it protected with other [custom] thing in which I do not mention in this thread so I'm pretty much set. On the other Windows computers x64 is used. It is just my main laptop that I use most of the time.

Reactions: DracusNarcrym

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.