EmsiSoft Incorporates Anti-Ransomware Into It's BB Technology

Emsisoft is adding an Anti-Ransomware module: Are you excited for this ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Just messing with you... I get your point.
Just for your info on backup/restoration software

Against malware(e.g. virus, ransomware etc.) backup schemes are not without its caveats

1) It is not proactive security and it does not prevent against malware infection like an anti-malware software. It is more of a recovery tool

2) It cannot prevent the amount of data stolen by malware from the time it first became infected and noticed until it’s restored. Only an anti-malware software can prevent this. The advantage of restoring back an image is that it is faster and cheaper than having the infected system being restored from scratch or seek costly technical expertise to clean/repair the system.

3) When system becomes infected the restore point becomes a quandary for the user to decide. The restore point can also become inaccessible for one reason or the other

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
I would love to see Emsisoft devote some time and money to making a firewall as good as Comodo's firewall...
One that allows us to change settings just like Comodo.
This could be your new Anti-Ransom feature.

I was user of EIS when first offered. I liked it, but... That was a few years ago. Now (recently) running EAM with CFW@cs settings. I like it better than I liked EIS.

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
I don't really follow you or your product so I won't comment on it, that would not be fair, all I am saying is it was very cheap the way you inserted yourself and your product into the EmsiSoft thread, were a very sharp group here at MT, the readers will take notice as well. Have a awesome day ;)
i think his video was okay, although you can't confirm that their product doesn't specifically target the ransomware they made themselves.
would love to see how other anti-ransomware performs against that ransomware.

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
I would love to see Emsisoft devote some time and money to making a firewall as good as Comodo's firewall...

One that allows us to change settings just like Comodo.

This could be your new Anti-Ransom feature.

Emsisoft had this product in the past (Online Armor), it was a very powerful and granular firewall with a complete HIPS and sandbox-like features, but they correctly stopped the development because this kind of product is for geeks to play, normal users dont want this kind of product (hard to use), so it doesnt make money.

Comodo in the hands of a normal user is a tragedy (much better than in the past, but still is), no matter how great it does in youtube tests.

OA-Firewall-AutoAllow_En.png

I will quote @FleischmannTV about HIPS and Comodo like softwares:

HIPS:
  • People, who really understand them, don't get infected and don't need security software.
  • People, who get infected, don't understand HIPS and will either allow everything or brick their system.
  • This leaves only security forums users, who think they are Elliot Alderson type system expert professionals and have to deploy advanced protection software to satisfy their own narcissism. Their number however isn't large enough to finance the yearly salary of a single developer, let alone a company.

Fabian Wosar

From Emsisoft
Verified
Developer
Well-known
Jun 29, 2014
This is not to knock Emsisoft.
Well, since this isn't to knock Emsisoft, I am sure you wouldn't mind sharing that sample? :)

EDIT: Oh, nevermind. Not necessary. Just watched the video. It's legit a "leak test" that isn't anything like ransomware at all. When was the last time you saw a ransomware where the encryption is coupled to the user clicking a start button (which is actually something that the behaviour blocker takes into account to differentiate between actual ransomware and software that just mass-edits files like for example image resizing tools).

Last edited:

Visa

Level 1
Verified
May 31, 2017
Why so difficult? If your security software has a file recovery feature won't it be easier, no?
A file recovery feature being present in a lot of security software products would be beneficial to some although this is only until the product fails to prevent an infection and then the backed up files become compromised. The best defense you can have against ransomware attacks would be to have an up-to-date backup of your documents which you can make use of should your security solution ever fail to prevent a ransomware attack.

Sure. And that would mean Emsisoft's BB must not fail against ransomware, right?
Unfortunately, no security product on the market can prevent a ransomware infection all of the time.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Well, since this isn't to knock Emsisoft, I am sure you wouldn't mind sharing that sample? :)

EDIT: Oh, nevermind. Not necessary. Just watched the video. It's legit a "leak test" that isn't anything like ransomware at all. When was the last time you saw a ransomware where the encryption is coupled to the user clicking a start button (which is actually something that the behaviour blocker takes into account to differentiate between actual ransomware and software that just mass-edits files like for example image resizing tools).
I saw it for what it was immediately, he was just trying to insert himself and his product into the thread, and in a manner that I thought was cheap.
It's ok we live and we learn, and I hope he learned something from this. ;)
Nice to see you Fabian, don't be a stranger.

EASTER

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
May 9, 2017
Emsisoft had this product in the past (Online Armor), it was a very powerful and granular firewall with a complete HIPS and sandbox-like features, but they correctly stopped the development because this kind of product is for geeks to play, normal users dont want this kind of product (hard to use), so it doesnt make money.

Comodo in the hands of a normal user is a tragedy (much better than in the past, but still is), no matter how great it does in youtube tests.

OA-Firewall-AutoAllow_En.png

I will quote @FleischmannTV about HIPS and Comodo like softwares:

Oh how I remember that one. The firewall was as granular IMO as they come at the time and the HIPS was definitely nothing to sneeze at.

It's a shame a program like that got away as fast as it did, and yes I miss it. Makes me wonder how well it might stacked up with Comodo today.

Fabian Wosar

From Emsisoft
Verified
Developer
Well-known
Jun 29, 2014
It's a shame a program like that got away as fast as it did, and yes I miss it. up with Comodo today.
Well, I sometimes miss it as well. Unfortunately, we don't have a hundred million dollar business to cross-finance pet projects like that. In the end, our products have to pay for themselves somehow. Online Armor failed to do that.

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
Oh how I remember that one. The firewall was as granular IMO as they come at the time and the HIPS was definitely nothing to sneeze at.

It's a shame a program like that got away as fast as it did, and yes I miss it. Makes me wonder how well it might stacked up with Comodo today.

I miss it too, I had a great experience with it. It had a feature like Sandboxie and the reputation + multiple AV scan module called OASIS (I think that it was the name), you could easily block IPs by countries and there were so many rules.

But nowdays I prefer the ease to use, security for everyone approach that Emsisoft has chosen.

VeeekTor

Level 5
Verified
May 16, 2017
Well, I sometimes miss it as well. Unfortunately, we don't have a hundred million dollar business to cross-finance pet projects like that. In the end, our products have to pay for themselves somehow. Online Armor failed to do that.

Maybe a name change would help?

You could name it Komodo 2.0 maybe... I mean Comodo FW surely is very popular and many would buy it.

EASTER

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
May 9, 2017
I miss it too, I had a great experience with it. It had a feature like Sandboxie and the reputation + multiple AV scan module called OASIS (I think that it was the name), you could easily block IPs by countries and there were so many rules.

But nowdays I prefer the ease to use, security for everyone approach that Emsisoft has chosen.

When only somewhat recently watching those fabulous videos of cruelsister's snap tests of just how POTENT the components and modules in Comodo FW 10 can be for users against ransomware, it really flooded back to that era for me.

Speaking of which and keeping more on topic is it any wonder my first lesson in malware scanners was of all things A2Squared!

Of course long now better known as EMSIsoft. It's always welcome to see new improvements added to products against an increasingly bitter attack field which has taken shape for quite awhile now with this ransomware rampage.

Emsisoft

From Emsisoft
Verified
Developer
Jul 27, 2013
A small remark regarding the question "Is the new Emsisoft Anti-Ransomware layer a marketing thing?":

Emsisoft Anti-Malware has already been quite advanced in protection against ransomware, when dedicated anti-ransomware tools were not even yet a thing, and today we believe we're pretty much in the leading group of available protection solutions against ransomware. But our main problem is that nobody knows about that, because our anti-ransomware functionality always was 'just a feature' of the behavior blocker component, and therefore it was difficult to promote it as something substantial.

Taking it from that perspective, yes, the anti-ransomware layer is a marketing thing. But on the other hand, you could also see it as a well deserved lift from 'just a feature' to an actual main protection component of the software, which it effectively always was, just well hidden. :)

The reason why it is impossible to turn off the anti-ransomware or behavior blocker separately is that both rely on the same technology that allows us to find and block malicious activity as it happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.