New, redesigned Brave Desktop Browser v1.0 - Beta Released

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Is Brave ungoogled completely?

Does Brave connects to Google upon start up? If no where does it connects to?

Does Chrome extensions connect to Google for downloads and updates?

............because Chromium, by default, connects to Google

Last edited:

Kubla

Level 8
Verified
Jan 22, 2017

Brave Browser – is it really better than Google Chrome?

Let’s start with some facts about Brave. Brave Web Browser is a free and open source, pay to browse web browser. Which was created by Brandan Eich who’s also the co-founder of Mozilla Firefox and creator of Javascript. Brave Web Browser is ad-free and also claims to block all website trackers such as Google Analytics, Adobe Analytics etc. [/quote]

Get something like Glasswire to see where it connects, I am using original Brave not the Dev version, using Glasswire to monitor it, when I start the Browser nothing connects to Google.

I would imagine that any additional extensions not built in to Brave can/will connect to Google.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Last edited:

Kubla

Level 8
Verified
Jan 22, 2017
From what I can tell the built in extensions like LastPass for example are updated via Brave updates not google.

I am not using the new Dev version where you can add more extensions those likely connect to google or elsewhere, you will need something like Glasswire or Netlimiter to monitor connections and see.

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018

Brave Store connects to Chrome Web Store. Uncertain about answers to your other two questions.

Maybe I've been had once again by the Big G?

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Last edited:

military

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Aug 13, 2012
@Paul B.
Thank you. I'm confused. I was not interested in changing the main page, but using another page (another speed dial) on new tab. Sorry.

Reactions: Weebarra

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Does that isolates Brave Store from Chrome Web Store in terms of downloading and updating the extensions i.e. ungoogled from Google?

I've been reading some of the Brave Beta forum posts and the sense I get so far is that a separate Brave Store is in the works, and extensions will be screened re: updating/phone home via Chrome Web Store/Google. Extensions which do not update /phone home via G will be featured, and extensions which do will be offered along with a warning to that effect. Anyone with more questions should read posts on the Brave forum, which is what I will continue to do. To that end, I believe the intention of the devs is to observe strict privacy principles in all that they do with this Beta build. So far, so good! (y)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.