New, redesigned Brave Desktop Browser v1.0 - Beta Released

Kubla

Level 8
Verified
Jan 22, 2017
I'll look forward to hearing feedback from current Muon users, who make the transition and continue using the new release of Brave.

I was able to install the new 64bit version and keep my 64bit Muon version.

So far I like the new version, it starts up much faster and browsing is a bit quicker, it does not come with Last Pass built in like the Muon version so I had to add that extension. It still has the Shield with the built in ad blocker, https everywhere, fingerprint protection, and script blocker so I have not added any other extension privacy or security related, at least not yet, I will probably toss Netcraft in to the mix.

I run my Brave browser sandboxed in Sandboxie so that when I shut it down it wipes everything during that session and I get a clean browser every start up. One draw back was keeping specific cookies like that are needed for banking sites and such. So what was able to do with the new version to make that easy was install the Click&Clean extension then go to those sites that I need to have cookies with the browser un-sandboxed then use Click&Clean to sort out and save those specific cookies and remove everything else I accumulated during that session keeping the state of my browser clean.

Now when I run the browser sandboxed I have those cookies and only keep those cookies after shut down.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Newest brave guild is great, since you can enable chrome extensions. Only downside i had is just problem with the ' block all fingerprint' randomly resets settings to default aka block only 3rd party. Its bit buggy/rushed release i guess

Reactions: oldschool

Kubla

Level 8
Verified
Jan 22, 2017
IS this browser good in terms of memory usage compared to Vivaldi?

~LDogg

I have both and the 64bit Brave (chromium) version is hovering around 480mb usage and 64bit Vivaldi is hovering around 607 mb and both have 13 apps open in task manager and 64bit Brave (Muon) version is hovering around 545 mb with 11 apps open, so the new Brave (chromium) version certainly seems to be more memory efficient than Vivaldi or old Brave.

Reactions: oldschool and LDogg

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
I have both and the 64bit Brave (chromium) version is hovering around 480mb usage and 64bit Vivaldi is hovering around 607 mb and both have 13 apps open in task manager and 64bit Brave (Muon) version is hovering around 545 mb with 11 apps open, so the new Brave (chromium) version certainly seems to be more memory efficient than Vivaldi or old Brave.
Looks like i may have to get rid of Vivaldi then xD

~LDogg

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
Newest brave guild is great, since you can enable chrome extensions. Only downside i had is just problem with the ' block all fingerprint' randomly resets settings to default aka block only 3rd party. Its bit buggy/rushed release i guess
How do you enable Chrome extensions?

~LDogg

Reactions: Moonhorse

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
How do you enable Chrome extensions?

~LDogg
Sorry i mispelled, but you can install extensions from chrome web store nowadays wich is huge plus. Well i found already out you have installed brave + extensions since im currently looking your conf (y)

Just enable block all fingerprinting + disable brave adblocking and replace it with nano...startpage as search and chrome is long gone:emoji_ok_hand:

Reactions: oldschool and LDogg

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Brave Beta definitely still has some bugs but works very well for me. I'm still trying to figure out what's going on with their built-in adblocking and Nano. It appears Nano blocking all with or without Brave's. I keep tabs on the Beta forum and it looks like they continue to work hard at bug reports and responding to users general feedback. Very nice to see! One complaint is that the settings page still looks too "Chrome-ish". I agree it needs work.

I must say I keep coming back to Edge more often though. Nice choice to have both! (y)

Reactions: bribon77

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Brave Beta definitely still has some bugs but works very well for me. I'm still trying to figure out what's going on with their built-in adblocking and Nano. It appears Nano blocking all with or without Brave's. I keep tabs on the Beta forum and it looks like they continue to work hard at bug reports and responding to users general feedback. Very nice to see! One complaint is that the settings page still looks too "Chrome-ish". I agree it needs work.

I must say I keep coming back to Edge more often though. Nice choice to have both! (y)
If you have the beta installed, its been live for some time so you should download the current stable build

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
bravebrowser.png

Sigh:sleep:

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
Yes, reproduced here with stable installer, but being in Interactive Mode with Kasersky You may add an exclusion during the installation, it worked fine here.

Last edited:

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Clearing browsing data, will always reset ''block all fingerprint'' to ''block 3rd party only''

Its kinda annoying

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.