Advice Request O&O ShutUp10: One setting keeps getting reset automatically?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Morro

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 8, 2012
Okay, I started using O&O ShutUp10 today, and after I updated to the latest version ( Who knew, an update just after I start using it. :) ) I started the program to see if something had changed. WELL ... for some reason under the "Security" settings the "Disable Telemetry" was reset automatically some how. I had to set it to green again and restart my computer, but since then I have noticed that so far the "Disable Telemetry" was reset automatically at least 5 times now? Even once after I had reactivated the setting and had restarted my computer and did nothing for about 10 minutes on my computer ... the setting was again reset to red?

From what the program showed when I applied the recommended settings, it is possible that I would have to redo the recommended settings after a Windows update, but there has not been an update today?

bjm_

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 17, 2015
me too
png_9503.png
1.8.1419 – released March 9, 2021
https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10/changelog

bjm_

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 17, 2015
How long before 'Disable telemetry' toggles red?....
png_9505.png
.....after calling n' closing 1.8.1419 ..#4. I deleted all cfg files...then called 1.8.1419 again and set 'Disable telemetry' green. 19042.804
I'll monitor.....

Last edited:

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
That setting only disables 2 services and one logger, dmwappushservice is used for notifications, so it might be reset by Windows or Defender.

capture_03102021_092834.jpg

By the way, I do not understand, why they even call it disable telemetry, when it does not even touch the basic telemetry setting (AllowTelemetry)? 🤔

Code:
rem Diagnostic and usage data - Select how much data you send to Microsoft / 0 - Security (Not aplicable on Home/Pro, it resets to Basic) / 1 - Basic / 2 - Enhanced (Hidden) / 3 - Full
reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\DataCollection" /v "AllowTelemetry" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f
rem reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WINEVT\Channels\Microsoft-Windows-Application-Experience/Program-Telemetry" /v "Enabled" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\DataCollection" /v "AllowDeviceNameInTelemetry" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\DataCollection" /v "AllowTelemetry" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\DataCollection" /v "DoNotShowFeedbackNotifications" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\DataCollection" /v "MaxTelemetryAllowed" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\DataCollection" /v "AllowTelemetry" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f

Morro

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 8, 2012
That setting only disables 2 services and one logger, dmwappushservice is used for notifications, so it might be reset by Windows or Defender.

View attachment 255203

By the way, I do not understand, why they even call it disable telemetry, when it does not even touch the basic telemetry setting (AllowTelemetry)? 🤔

Code:
rem Diagnostic and usage data - Select how much data you send to Microsoft / 0 - Security (Not aplicable on Home/Pro, it resets to Basic) / 1 - Basic / 2 - Enhanced (Hidden) / 3 - Full
reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\DataCollection" /v "AllowTelemetry" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f
rem reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WINEVT\Channels\Microsoft-Windows-Application-Experience/Program-Telemetry" /v "Enabled" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\DataCollection" /v "AllowDeviceNameInTelemetry" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\DataCollection" /v "AllowTelemetry" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\DataCollection" /v "DoNotShowFeedbackNotifications" /t REG_DWORD /d "1" /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\DataCollection" /v "MaxTelemetryAllowed" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\DataCollection" /v "AllowTelemetry" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f

Well I can not be certain but in my case then, I would point to Windows since I do not use Defender as my AV but KSC Free. Then again I know nothing about stuff like that, hence the post here about it.

I am just glad that I am not the only one who noticed this happening, for a moment I thought I did something wrong.

Reactions: Cortex and Venustus

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
My AdGuard for Windows after install, had the Stealth Setting off by default, so I didn't bother to turn it on. Because I use VPN.
Your VPN can encrypt your traffic and change your IP but thats about it. In the Stealth mode settings are many more things to protect your privacy. It can for example block browser API functions and also block tracking parameters in URLs. Give it a try, it will complement your VPN just fine.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.