Status
Not open for further replies.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Well its literally simple I have to say:

For novice users who were beginning to install CIS then they will proceed standard installation.

And for advance users who wants to explore and change on how they will install the components then they will proceed to custom installation.

I'm not sure if Comodo Installer was written a "recommended" in standard installation. Cause that will be the case, a user may proceed the installation without double checking.

ranget

Dec 8, 2011
i think it's not a big deal
i mean yes i installed geekbuddy by mistake but what is the big deal ?

NSG001

Level 16
Verified
Nov 21, 2011
ranget said:

Yeah what is the big deal ;)

uQyWQ.png

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
NSG001 said:
ranget said:

Yeah what is the big deal ;)

uQyWQ.png

It's a big deal to me and many advanced Comodo fans because they are already aware of Comodo's ways. Under the assumption Comodo always keeps the same user base and never gets new users, of coarse it is no big deal.

But Comodo does get new users, as pc users progress into a higher level of knowledge sooner or later they will heard about or read a review about Comodo and want to try their products.

Can you imagine a new user tries Comodo for the very first time, reading info about what a nice Trust company Comodo is, installs their products at default settings and default configurations.

What kind of a negative impact it would have on them to find all of the adware installed with it.

As far as privacy, who is to say what any Internet Security Suite collects from your system that they do not tell you of.

They can only collect info legally if it is stated in their privacy policy, most other solution have opt outs on their settings, CIS doesn't have any opt outs and their privacy policy is written in a way where they can legally collect pretty anything they want to. Its like a legal form of spyware with no opt out.

Awhile back, if some of you can remember, Check Point (ZoneAlarm's owner) was caught collecting data from their users without their consent and wasn't listed in their privacy policy about their data collection. I know there some legal battles but never no news about what happened. I'm sure in all was resolved behind closed doors.

Since I use ZoneAlarm Free, I can tell you how this situation was resolved. Check Point re-wrote their privacy policy and added opt outs.

Comodo is smart enough to avoid these legal battles by the wording in their privacy policy and legally are not required to offer opt outs on data collecting.

Thanks.:D

Morphius

Level 1
Sep 13, 2011
What kind of a negative impact it would have on them to find all of the adware installed with it.
Its like a legal form of spyware with no opt out.

JbmSM.jpg

So, summing up Comodo was founded ONLY to spy the users, install hidden crapware and selling certificates to "robbers".

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Morphius said:
Its like a legal form of spyware with no opt out.

JbmSM.jpg

So, summing up Comodo was founded ONLY to spy the users, install hidden crapware and selling certificates to "robbers".

I guess you missed my previous post where I said I used to think of Comodo as a Snow White company, used their firewall for years and how I would like to see them get back to the trusted company that many users now miss. I believe their intentions were good at the start, but they got mixed up in world of managing a larger business, made several wrong turns and made partnerships with companies on the other side of the field. It happens to good companies all the time, the purpose of becoming a successful business is to make profits. In order to make profits some companies will cross the line and loose their reputation and trust.

I

illumination

Littlebits said:
As far as privacy, who is to say what any Internet Security Suite collects from your system that they do not tell you of.

They can only collect info legally if it is stated in their privacy policy, most other solution have opt outs on their settings, CIS doesn't have any opt outs and their privacy policy is written in a way where they can legally collect pretty anything they want to. Its like a legal form of spyware with no opt out.

Awhile back, if some of you can remember, Check Point (ZoneAlarm's owner) was caught collecting data from their users without their consent and wasn't listed in their privacy policy about their data collection. I know there some legal battles but never no news about what happened. I'm sure in all was resolved behind closed doors.

Since I use ZoneAlarm Free, I can tell you how this situation was resolved. Check Point re-wrote their privacy policy and added opt outs.

Comodo is smart enough to avoid these legal battles by the wording in their privacy policy and legally are not required to offer opt outs on data collecting.

I don"t know if i would classify "an opt in" to participate in a community effort to help protect each other a form of spyware. Yes many suites offer the option to "opt" out of this effort, most people do not chose to do so, as every contribution into the system helps protect them. As stated above, you can delete the Vendors list.. If one was to be technical of what any of the suites can or can not collect, well, it is really simple, once you have installed a program on your system, and have giving it rights to connect and receive connections, any program would be capable of extracting info with out your knowledge, and this being the case, you would not be able to utilize the laws if you are not aware it is even happening...

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
There's nothing in here that's worth ranting about. You can just customize the installation process. Simple.

NSG001

Level 16
Verified
Nov 21, 2011
BoXX28 said:
There's nothing in here that's worth ranting about. You can just customize the installation process. Simple.

:dance3:

Bravo that man ;)
Second best post of the year!

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
NSG001 said:
BoXX28 said:

:dance3:

Bravo that man ;)
Second best post of the year!

Thank you so much for your most valued opinions, too bad not everyone agrees with you.:angel:

Yes many suites offer the option to "opt" out of this effort, most people do not chose to do so, as every contribution into the system helps protect them. As stated above, you can delete the Vendors list.. If one was to be technical of what any of the suites can or can not collect, well, it is really simple, once you have installed a program on your system, and have giving it rights to connect and receive connections, any program would be capable of extracting info with out your knowledge, and this being the case, you would not be able to utilize the laws if you are not aware it is even happening...

I mostly agree with this, nothing wrong with sharing data to help the product progress but nobody knows what other data is collected, how it is used, who it is shared with or if it is kept safe from getting leaked since the details are not clear in the privacy policy. Compare this privacy policy to other solutions and you will see it is much different.

Code:
8. Privacy. Comodo has adopted a privacy policy that governs the use of any personal information collected. Please refer to the privacy policy to be aware of Comodo's practices regarding gathered information. Any information transmitted to Comodo through the site by a visitor is considered non-confidential and may be used by Comodo in its sole discretion. You may not post anything on the Comodo website (where allowed) that is confidential, obscene, illegal, threatening, defamatory, constitutes spam or may be considered a mass mailing, or that infringes on the intellectual property rights of a third party.

Of coarse if a product was sending out data without your knowledge the only way you would be able to tell would be to use a router with logging and tracking features or simply manually block connection to the servers with your router or host file. I'm sure some other companies do send out data without users knowledge but when or if they get caught we may never know since so many things like that are not made public.

I hope Comodo is reading this thread, something tells me they have already been here.
This is not to bash Comodo, this is to help them change their ways.

Good day.:D

D

Deleted member 178

i agree with box and i add:

Dragon: a more secure and privacy-oriented version of Chromium that use Comodo DNS, all benefit for the beginners.
Geekbuddy: ok not the best thing in the world, but may give some online help to beginners.

If CIS installer installed Askbar or any other crap advertising toolbars/browser addons; i will get upset, but it is not the case.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
I agree to umbrapolaris, its a bit different to said as adware bundled cause nothing to be flagged as annoying and Comodo will be aware if they will add bundled adware.

If a user knows that the two products were made by Comodo then it will appreciate cause they will install to know how it was design.

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
Earth said:
https://forums.comodo.com/empty-t79892.0.html;topicseen

I'm sure that most people are disappointed with Comodo Internet Security 5.9.

I must have missed the memo... :rolleyes:

Earth said:
Comodo's not alone though, here's a list of other companies who do the same:

You're absolutely right! Nobody else does this! Let's raise our pitchforks!

How would it be if we were to install our OS and it came bundled with stuff we didn't want? I would absolutely DIE!

And can you imagine if you bought a new computer and there was any extraneous stuff installed? Oh, the world would END!

I can't think of a single piece of software that has tried to install an unwanted toolbar or offered a browser that I choose not to use if I didn't uncheck the option!

/end sarcasm :rolleyes:

Come on Earth, you know very well that this is a widespread practice... Especially with free software.

Sure, I would prefer it if such options were opt-in instead of opt-out, but the fact is that this is not new with 5.9. The GeekBuddy option has been there since it was introduced. (What, two years ago or something?) Yes, the customize option is now less obvious, but again, this is not new. It's been around since the installer upgrade with the release of 5.8.

I would prefer it if the installer went back to the previous, more obvious method, but it's seriously not the end of the world here...

How many of you actually just install something without checking out the 'customize install' options if there are any? Yeah, me neither... I haven't blindly installed anything for years...

And Littlebits, I'd love for you to show me a privacy policy that doesn't make it sound like the company owns my children... I'm pretty sure Google has rights to my entire extended families earnings for the next millennium! :angel:

The fact of the matter is that in order for an entity to display any information to a user online, the entity must have ownership over the data, otherwise they run afoul of copyright laws. Yes, even if it's your data, (stored in the cloud perhaps?) in order to show it to you (broadcast) they must 'own' it... Does that mean you lose your rights to your intellectual property? Of course not... But in this day and age, the law requires certain formalities to be met. Why do you think major corporations have such highly paid attorneys? There are people watching them like hawks to take them to court over any little issue.

The bottom line is this. You are never able to please everyone. No matter what you try to do, someone will hate it.

Obviously there are users who don't like Comodo. Why the need is felt to point out every negative (even the silly ones) of a product is beyond me. What is the driving force behind posts like this? Do you personally have some stake in how well the product does? Is each user of the product a personal affront to your well being? I personally abhor Symantec. I definitely don't take it upon myself to try and sway people away from them, because I honestly don't care what product anyone uses! I also didn't jump on the Avira/Uniblue bandwagon because seriously, it's a non-issue! I don't use Avira, so why do I care what they're bundling?

It's simple, if you don't like a product, don't use it. Easy as that!

This is the nice thing about choice. We can all make our own decisions. How about we let the process happen naturally? There really isn't any point to try to tar and feather anybody here. This is a forum that caters to ALL security products.

Am I saying that no one should voice their opinions? Absolutely not! Opinions are valuable. I'm just saying that grandstanding and sensationalism doesn't help anyone. I would like to think that we're above that here...

-steps off soapbox-

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
There are several types of Comodo users:

1. The first group ignores all of Comodo's faults. They post useless reviews of their products when still in their beta stages when they are not even stable or even potentially dangerous to users systems.
They won't accept any positive criticism to help Comodo improve their products. They get extremely aggressive when anyone post actually facts about Comodo's bad behavior. They get so aggressive that many threads on security forums have to be locked like Wilder's Security Forum. This group of supporters don't help Comodo at all, they actually hurt Comodo because nobody wants to mess with the drama and problems.

2. The second group partially knows about Comodo faults. They try to help Comodo see what is not accepted by a trust company. They post actual negative feedback to help Comodo improve their products and services. They let Comodo know what they want in their products and services and will confront them if they feel the need to. This group is the most helpful to Comodo, but this group is usually ignored because Comodo doesn't know how to accept criticism and negative feedback to help them. Therefore this group has to get aggressive to get Comodo's attention.

3. Comodo haters, this group is simply tired of putting up with all of Comodo's drama, issues, problems, privacy issues and don't want to help Comodo at all. This group also may have an incite on other issues related to Comodo. They group will post hurtful commits some of which may not be true and is not considered to be helpful in any way. They can be very aggressive as well.

You can be completely supportive of Comodo even if you don't agree with all of the issues, business partners, privacy issues, drama, buggy releases, etc. If you comfort them about the problems instead of sweep them under the rug and ignore them. If you ignore a problem, then it won't never get resolved.

It is very apparent that many users are not happy with Comodo direction, even if only one user posts negative feedback that can indicate hundreds, thousands or even more users who will never even take the time to post anything because they feel like it isn't worth their time.

If you can remember the Ask Toolbar incident, if the users didn't speak out and give negative feedback and positive criticism, Comodo would still be bundling the Ask Toolbar. If users now would speak out about their privacy policy, not telling the truth, opt out, adware listed in their whitelists, etc. Comodo would try to improve things a bit. But if Comodo thinks they can get away with whatever they want to do and still use the motto "Creating Trust Online" they will do it.

I like to think of my self as in the second group, I would be honored to feel secure enough to recommend Comodo's products once again but at this point I can't do that.

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
Good points!

As I said, nothing is wrong with opinions. Neither is speaking them...

It's the whole, 'let's create a riot' sensationalistic mentality that I have issues with...

And if you do find adware in Comodo's whitelist, they'd definitely like to hear about it.

D

Deleted member 178

Littlebits, you described the 3 groups as the fanboys, the likers and the haters, but you forgot one group: the "simple users"

People who really really don't care about the company health, drama, behavior as long as the product is effective, they will give some advices and directions to improve the product but if it is not done they don't mind at all, and if the product loose its value , they will just change to another one.

Im in this group, i use a product and i am not part of a company, and i gain nothing from that company, so i don't feel the need to defend a company.

bitbizket

Level 3
Jul 26, 2011
I only use the Firewall. It's no big deal, just opt out what you don't want.
For privacy i have a Block List to block ips Comodo are connecting to and manually do an upgrade.
I think Comodo is getting better.

Thanks

P

Plexx

From a normal user point of view and perhaps someone who has been recommended to use Comodo by another user etc, they might not notice the hidden options when installing, so I agree that the options/modules to be installed on CIS 5.9 should be visible at the naked eye and not "hidden".

That is my point of view, although I believe someone has already mentioned the above, since reading all these posts makes me doubt myself now... memory is failing as I've been with longs days at work.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Another sad face for Comodo.

Also, I never asked for a browser, nor a buddy. It never gave me an option where to install it, and I didn't want it on my C: drive! :(

Link

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.