Verified
Aug 7, 2016
PC Specifications:

CPU: i7 4790K
GPU: Nvidia GTX 970
PSU: Corsair CX750 750W
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97-HD3
RAM: 16Gb

Hi, so for a while now I have been experiencing an issue where I would be in game and suddenly my PC would turn completely off, an example of game I have played where this has occurred was DayZ SA.

I first experienced this issue a few months back but took little notice and uninstalled steam because of college work, however recently I tried playing DayZ SA again and the issue occurred again.

I have in the past tried monitoring CPU and GPU temps whilst in game and they were normal when the issue occurred.

I have also considered it might be my PSU causing the issue but considering reliability and stability of corsair PSU's I have not concluded that this is the issue yet.

Any help to assist me in resolving my issue would be very appreciated.

M

MalwareBlockerYT

Can you please check your CPU and GPU temps maybe something is overheating here.
I was thinking the same. It sounds like something is overheating & then your PC is shutting down to stop damage...

When you say that you checked the temperatures what software were you using?

Try something like RealTemp:

TechPowerUp

It gives you accurate temperatures.

You should also check the temperature of your Motherboard & drives just to see how hot they are getting.

Upvote 0

XIII

Level 5
Verified
Sep 20, 2016
Upvote 0

Svoll

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
Which driver do you have install for your GPU and does it only shundown on DayZ or any games you play?

Any CPU or GPU overclocks?

Try running DDU in safe mode and reinstalling drivers, that usually fix my issues with Origin and Steam games.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Svoll

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
Upvote 0

Theoretical

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Aug 7, 2016
Hi I forgot to mention I have actually tested using two bench markings 3DMark and Furmark and the issue did not present itself whilst running those tests.

So do you think I could rule out the hardware being the issue?

Reactions: SHvFl
Upvote 0

Theoretical

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Aug 7, 2016
4ywckyL.png

Upvote 0
M

MalwareBlockerYT

Have you tried checking the CPU heatsink? You say that your CPU/GPU are overclocked?

Also you never actually said what your temperatures were? Please list your Load & Idle CPU/GPU temperatures for us to check ;)

Upvote 0

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
This kinds of sudden reboots or shut down often mean hardware problems. This may incluide incompatibility between hardware, or even dust or dirt on them. Have you tried checking the fan actually works fine and it's not stopped by dust/anything? Have you cleaned your PC reciently?

Upvote 0

Theoretical

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Aug 7, 2016
This kinds of sudden reboots or shut down often mean hardware problems. This may incluide incompatibility between hardware, or even dust or dirt on them. Have you tried checking the fan actually works fine and it's not stopped by dust/anything? Have you cleaned your PC reciently?

I have never opened the case and cleaned the PC components from the inside however I regularly do remove the dust from the PC case so I would not have to this.

Have you tried checking the CPU heatsink? You say that your CPU/GPU are overclocked?

Also you never actually said what your temperatures were? Please list your Load & Idle CPU/GPU temperatures for us to check ;)

I stated in an earlier post that I did not overclock my GPU or CPU, I will be able to post the temps when I do a retest on the CPU and GPU temps soon.

Upvote 0

XIII

Level 5
Verified
Sep 20, 2016
It can't be incompatibility of hardware, or hardware interference since it only occurs under the stress of a specific task. If it were hardware incompatibility, or hardware interference, the PC would shut down even in idle at desktop. It can be a general hardware issue, but not incompatibility or interference.

No need to download software that simplifies your error reporting either. Just post your actual Windows Error Reporting log here once the issue occurs and we can determine if it is software, hardware, or both.

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.