Verified
Aug 7, 2016
PC Specifications:

CPU: i7 4790K
GPU: Nvidia GTX 970
PSU: Corsair CX750 750W
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97-HD3
RAM: 16Gb

Hi, so for a while now I have been experiencing an issue where I would be in game and suddenly my PC would turn completely off, an example of game I have played where this has occurred was DayZ SA.

I first experienced this issue a few months back but took little notice and uninstalled steam because of college work, however recently I tried playing DayZ SA again and the issue occurred again.

I have in the past tried monitoring CPU and GPU temps whilst in game and they were normal when the issue occurred.

I have also considered it might be my PSU causing the issue but considering reliability and stability of corsair PSU's I have not concluded that this is the issue yet.

Any help to assist me in resolving my issue would be very appreciated.

Theoretical

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Aug 7, 2016
Yeah I have tried FurMarks CPU bench mark and Intel Burntest and temperatures are very high but it isn't that expected with a stock cooler and an i7 4790K which turbos to 4.4Ghz?

I also do not understand why it is shutting down on DayZ at lower temperatures.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Yeah I have tried FurMarks CPU bench mark and Intel Burntest and temperatures are very high but it isn't that expected with a stock cooler and an i7 4790K which turbos to 4.4Ghz?

If anything jumps above optimal values described in this thread ==> GUIDE - Intel CPU Temperatures, then you'll need to cool down your CPU, whatever the reasons for overheating are.

Maybe your computer doesn't like DayZ :)

Upvote 0

aragornnnn

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 18, 2016
Dayz is a bad optimized game. Running around in the woods may be normal with 50% CPU usage and temps not going over 60 degrees,
But whenever you reach a point in the game like a city or whatever your CPU usage could spike to 90-95%.
When it does your stock CPU cooler wont be able to cool down your CPU enough to prevent system shutdown (overheating your CPU is only a matter of seconds)

Upvote 0

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
That does explain it, but are you sure CPU stress tests have thermal throttling protection?
The cpu stress program doesn't care. It's job is to test your cpu. Your cpu will throttle when it goes above a temp and if the temp doesn't drop or stay the same it will shutdown.
Just buy a cooler before your cpu dies and then you will have to spend god knows how much to get a new one or upgrade your system.

Upvote 0

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
No I only stress test for about 15 minutes, is it safe to stress test for long periods of time or does it cause damage to the components?
Yeah, that's why we told you to buy a cpu cooler. It's not because we want you to spend money. When temperatures are ok you can run stress test or anything for as long as you wish.

Stress for longer like the game to see if it dies. If not we can pretty much exclude psu issue. It might produce less power when it gets hot and eventually the system shutdowns.

EDIT: I assume when not gaming the pc never died right?

Upvote 0

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Can possibly be a overheating issue or some ram slot is malfunctioning or is loose from its sockets.
After reading this I tend to lean on the side of Jake here, have you tried re-seating your Ram ?, what are your RAM specs by the way ?
Also are you running Process Lasso on that system ?

Upvote 0

Theoretical

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Aug 7, 2016
Yeah, that's why we told you to buy a cpu cooler. It's not because we want you to spend money. When temperatures are ok you can run stress test or anything for as long as you wish.

Stress for longer like the game to see if it dies. If not we can pretty much exclude psu issue. It might produce less power when it gets hot and eventually the system shutdowns.

EDIT: I assume when not gaming the pc never died right?

Yeah the PC is fine when I'm not gaming.

Upvote 0

Theoretical

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Aug 7, 2016
After reading this I tend to lean on the side of Jake here, have you tried re-seating your Ram ?, what are your RAM specs by the way ?
Also are you running Process Lasso on that system ?

I currently have 16GB of RAM and no I have not tried re-seating the RAM but i'm pretty sure the RAM is fine as I had someone run Memtest on my computer for a little while and there were no issues.

Upvote 0

Theoretical

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Aug 7, 2016
Here is a picture of inside my PC:

Ugc5wet.jpg

As you can see there is hardly any dust on any of the components,
The RAM is seated fine and there is now also a new CPU Cooler.

Maybe its just DayZ?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Here is a picture of inside my PC:

Ugc5wet.jpg

As you can see there is hardly any dust on any of the components,
The RAM is seated fine and there is now also a new CPU Cooler.
Looks nice, thanks for sharing ;)
Something is faulty as this is not normal behavior, have you thought of having it looked at ?
A good diagnostics is often helpful. I am having a hard time though with there not being a good log of the
culprit in the event log seeing it kills the system. Event viewer or your error logs should point you in the right
direction. Without that it is just a guessing game even for the best among us.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.