Solved Problem - Sandisk Ultra 128GB (SDCZ48-128G)

M4RT1NE2

Level 14
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 19, 2022
Hi

I have a problem with the flash drive.
My flash drive is:
Sandisk Ultra 128GB (SDCZ48-128G)

It shows 32 GB when inserted into the USB port.
Its actual capacity is 128 GB.

Formatting doesn't work.

Format should be NTFS or FAT32?

I have Windows 11

What is going on?

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Hi

I have a problem with the flash drive.
My flash drive is:
Sandisk Ultra 128GB (SDCZ48-128G)

It shows 32 GB when inserted into the USB port.
Its actual capacity is 128 GB.

Formatting doesn't work.

Format should be NTFS or FAT32?

I have Windows 11

What is going on?
Use the HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool as recommended by Sandisk:

Upvote 0

franz

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
May 29, 2021
But still I don't understand why I get this message because I can't see it is protected?
2022-03-27_192753.jpg

Upvote 0

M4RT1NE2

Level 14
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 19, 2022
It is also worth checking if there is a slider on our pendrive or SD card that blocks the writing. Sometimes it can be moved by accident.

look here

Reactions: franz
Upvote 0

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
I think the drive is dead or it was a fake flash. Sandisk is aware of it and they say lot of things from packaging, logo etc and I couldn't find if the device was fake or genuine, so I usually skip Sandisk. I agree Sandisk Extreme or their Pro are great but their essential or mid-range with high caps are not really great.
Try a fake flash test application 007 - All about 'fake' SD Flash cards/drives - RMPrepUSB
Source: 11 Freeware To Detect Fake USB Flash Drives, SD Cards And SSD Disk
I used h2test and their cmdline version in linux to test fake flash on Sandisk. Now I use a big files to fill the drive and check file integrity via MD5/SHA1/2.

Upvote 0

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
But still I don't understand why I get this message because I can't see it is protected?
View attachment 265292
Write Protect Error on USB Flash Drives
How do I fix a Write Protect error?
Write protect
is a way to prevent data loss from the drive. There is no method to fix this.

Possible scenarios when Write Protect Errors occur:
Scenario 1:

Drive usage exhaustion. USB drives are partitioned into blocks that data is written to. It is possible for blocks to fail or go bad based on usage/health of the blocks. Each USB has a threshold for the number of good blocks to determine the health of the drive. When the number of good blocks is lower than the desired threshold, the drive goes into write protect to prevent data loss.
Scenario 2:
The flash drive maintains two copies of control information that are separated into two different blocks: primary and secondary. When corruption/loss appears on both copies/blocks, the drive will go into write protection mode to prevent further data loss.

Verify if the issue is with the flash drive or computer
To verify the issue is related to the flash drive and not your computer we recommend that you try plugging the USB drive into another port on your computer. You should also try the drive on another computer if possible.
NOTE: If using a company computer, ensure your IT department does not block saving files to removable drives.

If the above steps did not solve the problem please back up your data and request a replacement using our online web form.

Upvote 0

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Let Rufus format your USB. Just from the falling menu click the option "non-bootable".
Or use the good old LLFT
Reply with results

Upvote 0

franz

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
May 29, 2021
Let Rufus format your USB. Just from the falling menu click the option "non-bootable".
Or use the good old LLFT
Reply with results
It worked like a charm, thank you very much :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.