Security News Russian Censor Bans Comodo... Doesn't Realize Its Own Security Certificate Is From Comodo

N

NullByte

Thread author
The Russian government's state censorship organization, Roskomnadzor (technically its telecom regulator) has been especially busy lately as the government has continued to crack down on websites it doesn't like. However, as pointed out by Fight Copyright Trolls, it appears that Roskomnadzor may have gone a bit overboard recently, in response to a court ruling that had a massive list of sites to be banned (over a thousand pages). Apparently, as part of that, various sites associated with Comodo were all banned. That's pretty bad for a variety of reasons, starting with the fact that Comodo remains one of the most popular issuers of secure certificates for HTTPS.

In fact, as many quickly noted, Roskomnadzor's own website happens to be secured with a certificate from... Comodo:

It's not entirely clear the impact of this, but the Rublacklist site appears to be implying (via my attempt at understanding Google translate's translation...) that this also means that sites that rely on Roskomnadzor's registry of sites to block... may be blocked from accessing the list. Because its own site is effectively blocked by the list. Oops.

Funny news from Russia :eek:

DardiM

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
May 14, 2016
Thanks for the share :)

I wonder what sort of website Russian government doesn't like :rolleyes:

"Kirk: Ohuru, contact the planet, we have to warn them.
Ohuru: I can't get through...
Spock: They appear to be blocking our communications, captain.
Kirk: They're blocking our warning? That's really stupid blocking...
Checkov: Russia invented really stupid blocking!
Spock: As I informed you earlier, There is No intelligent life down there."

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.