Advice Request Scan with Windows Defender not showing in context menu!

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

easytools

Thread author
Jun 3, 2020
how can right click on a file in 'file explorer'
and scan for virius and bad stuff with windows defender?

if cant what to install instead of 'file explorer' that can?

Reactions: upnorth

Chri.Mi

Level 7
Well-known
Apr 30, 2020
I think him have a corrupt context menu. If is so, i think a reinstallation in place of windows may resolve this issue.

Reactions: Protomartyr

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
no you are wrong, is there something in settings, its new pc
Maybe you have a trial version of some 3rd party security software installed and it disabled it?
Anyway, you can download and run this as admin, it will restart PC ASAP, so save your work!

Or you can just restore the shell. Run CMD as admin and copy/paste:
Code:
reg add "HKLM\Software\Classes\*\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\EPP" /ve /t REG_SZ /d "{09A47860-11B0-4DA5-AFA5-26D86198A780}" /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Classes\Drive\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\EPP" /ve /t REG_SZ /d "{09A47860-11B0-4DA5-AFA5-26D86198A780}" /f
reg add "HKLM\Software\Classes\Directory\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\EPP" /ve /t REG_SZ /d "{09A47860-11B0-4DA5-AFA5-26D86198A780}" /f
taskkill /im explorer.exe /f & explorer.exe

Chri.Mi

Level 7
Well-known
Apr 30, 2020
U should give us more info, is realy hard try to suggest something if we dont know what programs can block it, if there was some corruptions, i dont know any single settings that can block context menu, except if u use some third party apps. After u write u was not able to restart windows for days. I think your system is gonna and a format can be the only way.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I think your system is gonna and a format can be the only way.
On Windows 10, the user can Reset the OS without losing all data. A format is usually for a clean installation, wiping all data.

@easytools can you share a screenshot of your right-click context menu in File Explorer, and paste the image in your next reply.

Chri.Mi

Level 7
Well-known
Apr 30, 2020
On Windows 10, the user can Reset the OS without losing all data. A format is usually for a clean installation, wiping all data.

@easytools can you share a screenshot of your right-click context menu in File Explorer, and paste the image in your next reply.
I am old style xD

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.