Advice Request Shadow Defender in Shadow Mode : Why does my laptop hang/frozen?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

romy

Thread author
Sep 4, 2021
Hi everyone, pls help...

My specs of laptop is Processor i7 2.1GHz, 500 SSD in two partitions, RAM 12GB, 11.6”, Glossy Screen, Windows 10 Pro.

I use Shadow Defender (SD) to protect C partition (Used 94gb, free 148gb) by adding some exclusion folders. I have used Shadow Defender (SD) for almost a year. Everything felt great. fyi, I moved from Deep Freeze (DF) to SD because SD has the exclusion folders. In my experience, SD needs no much resources. That’s why I loved SD.

However, yesterday after installing software Wondershare Alltube and Android Studio, my system eats the resources so much until it’s hang/frozen. The fan works hard to cool down the CPU.

Then with Revo Uninstaller, I removed /cleaned this two software. However, my system still behaves strangely i.e. 'somethings' are eating the resources until it is hang/frozen.

Why I suspect SD? Because if it is not in shadow mode, everything feels normal, as the following picture shows.

setting mode.png

-------

However, in Shadow Mode, my system behaves strangely, something are eating the resources as the following picture shows: `

shadow mode hang now.PNG

Thanks in Advance

Attachments

• shadow mode.PNG
    shadow mode.PNG
    42.7 KB · Views: 228
  • 1630815230425.png
    1630815230425.png
    19.2 KB · Views: 222
  • shadow mode.PNG
    shadow mode.PNG
    42.7 KB · Views: 223
Last edited:
Reactions: Nevi

pxxb1

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jan 17, 2018
Hi everyone, pls help...

My specs of laptop is Processor i7 2.1GHz, 500 SSD in two partitions, RAM 12GB, 11.6”, Glossy Screen, Windows 10 Pro.

I use Shadow Defender (SD) to protect C partition (Used 94gb, free 148gb) by adding some exclusion folders. I have used Shadow Defender (SD) for almost a year. Everything felt great. fyi, I moved from Deep Freeze (DF) to SD because SD has the exclusion folders. In my experience, SD needs no much resources. That’s why I loved SD.

However, yesterday after installing software Wondershare Alltube and Android Studio, my system eats the resources so much until it’s hang/frozen. The fan works hard to cool down the CPU.

Then with Revo Uninstaller, I removed /cleaned this two software. However, my system still behaves strangely i.e. 'somethings' are eating the resources until it is hang/frozen.

Why I suspect SD? Because if it is not in shadow mode, everything feels normal, as the following picture shows.

View attachment 260419

-------

However, in Shadow Mode, my system behaves strangely, something are eating the resources as the following picture shows: `

View attachment 260423

Thanks in Advance

The first thing i would try would be to reinstall SD. If that did not work i would uninstall SD and do some reg.cleaning. Then installing the 2 programs you mentioned with Revo and directly uninstall them and do some cleaning again. Both with some good programs and manually. Then reinstalling SD and hold my thumbs.

romy

Thread author
Sep 4, 2021
The first thing i would try would be to reinstall SD. If that did not work i would uninstall SD and do some reg.cleaning. Then installing the 2 programs you mentioned with Revo and directly uninstall them and do some cleaning again. Both with some good programs and manually. Then reinstalling SD and hold my thumbs.
Thank pxxb1 for your suggestion.

Yes that what I did.
  • I uninstalled and cleaned the two software using the Revo Uninstaller. With Revo, I easily could uninstall clean all related registries and files.
  • Then I uninstalled and re-installed the SD
Unfortunately, the problem is not away yet.

Thanks

pxxb1

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jan 17, 2018
Thank pxxb1 for your suggestion.

Yes that what I did.
  • I uninstalled and cleaned the two software using the Revo Uninstaller. With Revo, I easily could uninstall clean all related registries and files.
  • Then I uninstalled and re-installed the SD
Unfortunately, the problem is not away yet.

Thanks

According to this post of yours you did not do it in the right order. My assumption is that they lock each other in some way therefore uninstallation of SD first so the cleaning - really gets away with everything when uninstalling thoose 2 programs the second time. But if you are sure that you have cleaned out everything then go to the next step which would be, as i see it, drivers. Sometimes the fault in a driver does not occur until one gets a conflict on the Pc in the way you can have had. So i would update all drivers that may be involvd, or just reinstall them.

Oh, and if you are going to retry the first method, inactivate all security first. Sometimes there can be an invisible conflict there.

Last edited:

romy

Thread author
Sep 4, 2021
According to this post of yours you did not do it in the right order. My assumption is that they lock each other in some way therefore uninstallation of SD first so the cleaning - really gets away with everything when uninstalling thoose 2 programs the second time. But if you are sure that you have cleaned out everything then go to the next step which would be, as i see it, drivers. Sometimes the fault in a driver does not occur until one gets a conflict on the Pc in the way you can have had. So i would update all drivers that may be involvd, or just reinstall them.

Oh, and if you are going to retry the first method, inactivate all security first. Sometimes there can be an invisible conflict there.
Oh yes you are right, I did different order :)
I have no idea which drivers related to SD.
---
It seems that I have to reinstall my windows or I will give a try to the alternatives of SD such as Toolwiz.
Btw, I just watched a video about Toolwiz in this link
Have you ever tried it? It seems to me that Toolwiz is a good alternative.

Thanks pxxb1 for your guidance and time.

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014

Toolwiz Time Freeze looks like abandonware, latest release date: 06/02/2016, doubtful it works well even on latest Windows 10, probably impossible on Windows 11.

You can try to add exclusions into settings of your Antivirus, just add there all related processes of Shadow Defender...

Reactions: Nevi and harlan4096

pxxb1

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jan 17, 2018
Oh yes you are right, I did different order :)
I have no idea which drivers related to SD.
---
It seems that I have to reinstall my windows or I will give a try to the alternatives of SD such as Toolwiz.
Btw, I just watched a video about Toolwiz in this link

Thanks pxxb1 for your guidance and time.

So it was a giveaway and now you can not reinstall it with a valid licens?
Why reinstall?

I have used it and are still on one pc with the latest W10 version, works just fine. Even on W11 without problems. But it only protects C: drive.

• Thanks
Reactions: Nevi and romy

romy

Thread author
Sep 4, 2021
So it was a giveaway and now you can not reinstall it with a valid licens?
I can reinstall the SD, but the problem is still not away. My laptop is always frozen I f use the SD in shadow mode because somethings eating the resources (CPU+RAM)

Why reinstall?
As I can not find the problem that eats the resources when in shadow mode, so the last resort is to reinstall window if I still want to use SD. Almost 1 year I had used SD for the laptop. I was so easy to use until this problem comes.
---
Alternatively, as I dont want to re-install window right now, so I can use Toolwiz Time Freeze.

I have used it and are still on one pc with the latest W10 version, works just fine. Even on W11 without problems. But it only protects C: drive.

Yes I just now installed the Toolwiz Time Freeze. So far so good. Yes I only need to protect C drive.

Thanks

pxxb1

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jan 17, 2018
I can reinstall the SD, but the problem is still not away. My laptop is always frozen I f use the SD in shadow mode because somethings eating the resources (CPU+RAM)

As I can not find the problem that eats the resources when in shadow mode, so the last resort is to reinstall window if I still want to use SD. Almost 1 year I had used SD for the laptop. I was so easy to use until this problem comes.
---
Alternatively, as I dont want to re-install window right now, so I can use Toolwiz Time Freeze.

Yes I just now installed the Toolwiz Time Freeze. So far so good. Yes I only need to protect C drive.

Thanks

If you try to update drivers don`t update the ones that you know has nothing to do with the problem, sound, bluetooth, net etc, but do ALL the rest. Then you most likely can`t miss potentially solve that dependency. Worth a try. Do a backup first.

You can do an upgrade reinstallation from a mounted ISO, that will not change your system, only updating/fixing the Os. WAY easier.

There is one problem with TTF though and that is when uninstalling it, it takes the whole folder it was downloaded to and installed from with it for most users. I therefore changed my folder from D: to the default C: when downloading it, which i normally don`t use and therefore is empty, just for the occasion of installing TTF. So if you have things you want to spare in that folder move them to be on the safe side before uninstalling TTF.
Besides that i have not experienced any bug at all after long time usage.

pxxb1

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jan 17, 2018

---

Thanks

More info about what an upgrade is: Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade
The only thing it changes in the Os is the settings, you have to do them again. One has to do some clean up afterwards since it creates, for instance, a Windows OLD folder. It WILL solve your problem if it is Os dependent and not a bug in SD.

• Thanks

ichito

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 12, 2013
@romy
Hi, in my opinion it's not SD's issue. I don't know deinstallation app that can do its job in 100%...there are always some remains after procedure. Try to find orphaned services, autostart entries and disable them or better delete. Both apps (Wondershare Alltube and Android Studio) suffer from some problems so it's probable that is the couse of your situation.

romy

Thread author
Sep 4, 2021
If you try to update drivers don`t update the ones that you know has nothing to do with the problem, sound, bluetooth, net etc, but do ALL the rest. Then you most likely can`t miss potentially solve that dependency. Worth a try. Do a backup first.

You can do an upgrade reinstallation from a mounted ISO, that will not change your system, only updating/fixing the Os. WAY easier.

I will do that later, if I have time.

There is one problem with TTF though and that is when uninstalling it, it takes the whole folder it was downloaded to and installed from with it for most users. I therefore changed my folder from D: to the default C: when downloading it, which i normally don`t use and therefore is empty, just for the occasion of installing TTF. So if you have things you want to spare in that folder move them to be on the safe side before uninstalling TTF.
Besides that i have not experienced any bug at all after long time usage.

1 annoying thing I just found with TTF > She kept warning me saying that the cache file is runout.
So I had to restart my laptop. It means that I had to close all my apps/browser tabs :(
This never happened with SD.
--
My temporary solution is re-installing TTF to re-set the cache file size from 5GB to 15GB. We'll see if she keep shouting me that the cache file is runout :)

pxxb1

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jan 17, 2018
I will do that later, if I have time.

1 annoying thing I just found with TTF > She kept warning me saying that the cache file is runout.
So I had to restart my laptop. It means that I had to close all my apps/browser tabs :(
This never happened with SD.
--
My temporary solution is re-installing TTF to re-set the cache file size from 5GB to 15GB. We'll see if she keep shouting me that the cache file is runout :)
I forgot about that issue. I got that message when setting the cache size to 750mb but when i increased it to 1.5gb it stopped. So that you get it when having it set to 5gb is odd. Probably a bug. Maybe there is a solution on the net.

• Thanks

romy

Thread author
Sep 4, 2021
I forgot about that issue. I got that message when setting the cache size to 750mb but when i increased it to 1.5gb it stopped. So that you get it when having it set to 5gb is odd. Probably a bug. Maybe there is a solution on the net.
Yesterday, I got BSOD 2 times :( . So I re-installed the TTF, then re-set the cache size into 7GB (Previously 15GB). Then, I no longer have BSOD so far :)

1631443969299.png

pxxb1

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jan 17, 2018
Yesterday, I got BSOD 2 times :( . So I re-installed the TTF, then re-set the cache size into 7GB (Previously 15GB). Then, I no longer have BSOD so far :)

View attachment 260519
Wow!
It was on W10 that i occasionally could get it, on W11 so far, nothing. So there is hope.
Driver Booster Pro has a giveaway at the "Softwareshop" right now.

pxxb1

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jan 17, 2018

View attachment 260519

Since i`ve stated earlier that TTF worked ok on W11 i thought i should follow up 1 item i experienced to really be shure that was true. I know now that it most probably is not. Some, few programs, installed ok but many did not, and some could not run after installation. The same programs did not have that problem on W10 with TTF so i guess it is the end of the road for TTF when it comes to W11. My system is less complicated on W11 then on 10 so it can not be a compatibility issue.

Pity.

I will probably switch to Deep Freeze on W11 if SD becomes a problem. Personaly i think that the developer will not come back to SD, this time, now he has left for good.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.