Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
My security config changes pretty often, because I like to play around with different security softs and see how they work, but I keep finding myself come back to:
Windows Defender with ConfigureDefender
Software Restriction Policy with Hard_Configurator

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
@shmu26 Great config. Do you not need any form of protection from malicious websites?
Netcraft is great for phishing but not so for malicious websites.
Or do you do that by adding filter lists to uBlock?
This is the main reason I would like to combine HC with another AV than Windows Defender like Emsisoft, F-Secure/Ziggo or Kaspersky.

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
@shmu26 Great config. Do you not need any form of protection from malicious websites?
Netcraft is great for phishing but not so for malicious websites.
Or do you do that by adding filter lists to uBlock?
This is the main reason I would like to combine HC with another AV than Windows Defender like Emsisoft, F-Secure/Ziggo or Kaspersky.
Well, uBlock does filter out a lot of malicious websites, with its default filters (I added only the list for Hebrew), and that is on top of Chrome filtering, which is pretty good, and I also enabled Windows Defender network protection. So that's three filters (besides Netcraft). That's enough for me.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Well, uBlock does filter out a lot of malicious websites, with its default filters (I added only the list for Hebrew), and that is on top of Chrome filtering, which is pretty good, and I also enabled Windows Defender network protection. So that's three filters (besides Netcraft). That's enough for me.
Thanks (y) You are right. I always feel the need to compliment WD with something. Comes from the years before Windows 10.
The testing done by @askalan in the HUB proves that just HC is enough and WD will kick-in at the rare occasion something comes through.
It's difficult for me to just keep it simple and not add too much stuff... :D

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Thanks (y) You are right. I always feel the need to compliment WD with something. Comes from the years before Windows 10.
The testing done by @askalan in the HUB proves that just HC is enough and WD will kick-in at the rare occasion something comes through.
It's difficult for me to just keep it simple and not add too much stuff... :D
1 I don't really believe in web-filtering that much, anyways. The malicious sites come and go so fast, no filter can really beat them.
2 I often succumb to the temptation to install 3rd-party security softs. When I get too frustrated with their antics, I just image back to WD. :)

F

ForgottenSeer 72227

2 I often succumb to the temptation to install 3rd-party security softs. When I get too frustrated with their antics, I just image back to WD. :)

I hear you!

I too like to try out other products just to see what they are all about and to test out new features as they are released, however like you, I always end up coming back to WD and the built-in protection within W10, as I eventually get annoyed with this or that. Aside from the slight performance hit you may get with WD on certain tasks, I just like the simple fact that it doesn't annoy me, it works, and it's getting better and better with each release. I am looking forward to the April release to get access to the tamper protection as well as the improved logs/notifications that they will be implementing!

I'm getting more comfortable with H_C and it really is hard to beat for a simple but effective setup. I have TBH, it's hard seeing my task bar so bare without all the different security icons that use to be there:ROFLMAO:

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
All 4 layers are covered:
  • Realtime & other: Windows Defender (with tweaks)
  • Web Browser: Netcraft, uBo
  • Backup: Dropbox/Onedrive
  • Firewall: Native

My advice:
  • Consider adding Scriptsafe to browser
  • Add Syshardener, this also can add basic block rules for Windows Firewall as well
  • Consider using Tinywall or Malwarebytes Firewall Control for a better comprehensive protection of the built-in firewall

Thanks for sharing.

~LDogg

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
All 4 layers are covered:
  • Realtime & other: Windows Defender (with tweaks)
  • Web Browser: Netcraft, uBo
  • Backup: Dropbox/Onedrive
  • Firewall: Native
My advice:
  • Consider adding Scriptsafe to browser
  • Add Syshardener, this also can add basic block rules for Windows Firewall as well
  • Consider using Tinywall or Malwarebytes Firewall Control for a better comprehensive protection of the built-in firewall
Thanks for sharing.

~LDogg
1 Can you tell me about scriptsafe?
2 Syshardener for firewall rules is not a bad idea.
3 I used to use the firewall control app before Malwarebytes bought it. What is it like now?

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
1. This extension blocks javascript per site requests, yes this break websites but this is something you can whitelist per script on a site which Scriptsafe remembers next time you visit a site. It can also stop iFrame malware infections, blocks exploits hosted on malicious sites, built-in fingerprint detection over various methods, removes web bugs, removes Google Analytic UTM Tracking, unwanted content, ad networks and a whole lot more. All this without slowing your browsing down too.

2. Would be ideal to utilise in my opinion.

3. I have not had any trouble with the Malwarebytes version and a new release was issued about 2-3 days back, just set MWFC to Medium Filtering and turn on Notifications you should have nothing to worry about, the Notifications gives you a fab look at the IP address, port and tells you if the outbound connection has a verified Digital Signature helping you with an informed decision.

~LDogg

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.