standard user account
Startup Sentinel
Firewall security
Periodic malware scanners
HitmanPro, Zemana
Malware sample testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Chrome x64 w/appcontainer lockdown

extensions: uBlock Origin, uBlock Origin extra, HTTPS Everywhere, VTchromizer, Bitdefender TrafficLight, Animation Policy
Maintenance tools
CCleaner, Zipware
File and Photo backup
Macrium Reflect
System recovery
Macrium Reflect Home

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
okay, so I went all the way with the multilayered idea.
sig-based AV: Avira 2017 free
default/deny and sandboxing of internet-facing apps: ReHIPS
anti-exploit: HitmanPro.Alert
behavior blocking: Emsisoft Anti-Malware (w/o surf protection and file guard)

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
okay, so I went all the way with the multilayered idea.
sig-based AV: Avira 2017 free
default/deny and sandboxing of internet-facing apps: ReHIPS
anti-exploit: HitmanPro.Alert
behavior blocking: Emsisoft Anti-Malware (w/o surf protection and file guard)
Why put all that load on the system and create issues and delays. Avira is useless in this case. Uninstall it and enable Emsisoft.
Let's say you don't agree with me disabling surf protection is a bad idea.

Though i can ignore everything because <3 ReHips.

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Why put all that load on the system and create issues and delays. Avira is useless in this case. Uninstall it and enable Emsisoft.
Let's say you don't agree with me disabling surf protection is a bad idea.

Though i can ignore everything because <3 ReHips.
sounds like good ideas. tell me, what does surf protection do?
I have bitdefender traffic-light in my browser, will surf protection help me any?

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
sounds like good ideas. tell me, what does surf protection do?
I have bitdefender traffic-light in my browser, will surf protection help me any?
They have a huge list of infected sites and they seem to maintain it really well. It gives 0 load so there is no reason to disable it.

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Uninstalled COMODO, went back to ReHIPS.
I must say I enjoyed COMODO, but it has some bugs that sort of deflated my confidence in the product.
I experimented again with NVT ERP, but it has some probs and limitations, and no dev to deal with it.

ReHIPS is not polished, but it is solid.

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Uninstalled COMODO, went back to ReHIPS.
I must say I enjoyed COMODO, but it has some bugs that sort of deflated my confidence in the product.
I experimented again with NVT ERP, but it has some probs and limitations, and no dev to deal with it.

ReHIPS is not polished, but it is solid.
You mean usage wise? Improvements to what?
Might want to suggest them if they are not already suggested in the testing forum. You know very well Fixer will listen if the change makes sense.

Reactions: Deleted member 2913

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
You mean usage wise? Improvements to what?
Might want to suggest them if they are not already suggested in the testing forum. You know very well Fixer will listen if the change makes sense.
I think that the right suggestions have been made, and we are just waiting for the next stable version to come out. The beta testers over there are tops...

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
went for the Avast Internet Security giveaway

current config:
Avast Internet Security 2017 hardened mode/aggressive
standard user account
Startup Sentinel
KeyScrambler
various system tweaks

D

Deleted member 2913

shmu26,

Still running Rollback Rx?

You remember we talked about "Windows 10 repair processes at boot can trash Rollback & make system unbootable" And you requested info from "TheRollbackFrog", if Macrium bootable "fix boot" can fix the prob?

Today, I tried to create Windows 10 recovery drive And got some files are missing (Rollback Rx was installed)
I uninstalled Rollback Rx & no probs creating recovery drive.

With Rollback Rx installed, I tried command with admin reagentc /info And got recovery disabled

So Rollback Rx install disables Windows 10 recovery media so that Windows 10 can't auto start repair processes at boot & trash Rollback Rx.

I mentioned this to TRF And he mentioned Rollback Rx makes impossible for Windows 10 to auto start repair processes at boot.

So Rollback Rx atleast takes care of Windows 10 repairs at boot that can affect Rollback Rx by disabling recovery media

My query & TRF reply -

Rollback RX v10.x (Home & Professional)

Reactions: SHvFl and shmu26

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
shmu26,

Still running Rollback Rx?

You remember we talked about "Windows 10 repair processes at boot can trash Rollback & make system unbootable" And you requested info from "TheRollbackFrog", if Macrium bootable "fix boot" can fix the prob?

Today, I tried to create Windows 10 recovery drive And got some files are missing (Rollback Rx was installed)
I uninstalled Rollback Rx & no probs creating recovery drive.

With Rollback Rx installed, I tried command with admin reagentc /info And got recovery disabled

So Rollback Rx install disables Windows 10 recovery media so that Windows 10 can't auto start repair processes at boot & trash Rollback Rx.

I mentioned this to TRF And he mentioned Rollback Rx makes impossible for Windows 10 to auto start repair processes at boot.

So Rollback Rx atleast takes care of Windows 10 repairs at boot that can affect Rollback Rx by disabling recovery media

My query & TRF reply -

Rollback RX v10.x (Home & Professional)
good research!

I am not running rollback right now, even though I really like the program, because I am trying to simplify my digital life.

I think I found the solution to my macrium reflect woes, which originally drove me to rollback.
My problem with macrium was that after a restore would run, and I would get to reboot stage, my BIOS would get stuck, and would then revert to default settings.

I think that problem was triggered because I initiated the restore process from within Windows.
I now start the restore straight from the recovery environment, and so far, so good.

D

Deleted member 2913

Good research there too;)

Good to know you found the solution for your prob.

Is the time taken to complete the restore same/different withinWindows/recovery envir?

Reactions: _CyberGhosT_

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.