standard user account
Startup Sentinel
Firewall security
Periodic malware scanners
HitmanPro, Zemana
Malware sample testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Chrome x64 w/appcontainer lockdown

extensions: uBlock Origin, uBlock Origin extra, HTTPS Everywhere, VTchromizer, Bitdefender TrafficLight, Animation Policy
Maintenance tools
CCleaner, Zipware
File and Photo backup
Macrium Reflect
System recovery
Macrium Reflect Home

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Thanks for pointing this out as I didn't realise there was a difference in the protection each of these sandboxes provides.
I will now be more cautious when using CCAV sandbox.
@yigido summed it up to me by saying that CCAV is for regular users, whereas CIS is for advanced users.
(CF is the same as CIS, but without the AV component.)

H

hjlbx

CCAV does not use:
Sandboxie doesn't user Kernel Mode hooks either; it employs User Mode hooks
  • Separate sandboxes are used to isolate processes from each other -- memory access, inter-process communication, etc
However, without full general technical infos, you never know precisely what that quoted passage above precisely means. I am quite familiar with COMODO and know from experience that what they state - and what they actually mean - can be different.

Not bashing, just pointing out a few things that are important to consider.

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
CCAV does not use:
Sandboxie doesn't user Kernel Mode hooks either; it employs User Mode hooks
  • Separate sandboxes are used to isolate processes from each other -- memory access, inter-process communication, etc
However, without full general technical infos, you never know precisely what that quoted passage above precisely means. I am quite familiar with COMODO and know from experience that what they state - and what they actually mean - can be different.

Not bashing, just pointing out a few things that are important to consider.
even if they meant what they stated, I can't claim that I understand everything.
bottom line: is sandbox of CIS significantly better than that of CCAV, in your opinion?

H

hjlbx

@yigido summed it up to me by saying that CCAV is for regular users, whereas CIS is for advanced users.
(CF is the same as CIS, but without the AV component.)

That is only because of all the additional features (HIPS, Viruscope, KillSwitch, CCE, Virtual Desktop, settings\configuration customization, etc) that is included in CIS.

Heavily hardened CIS customization ain't no joke...

CCAV is "plug-and-play"...

H

hjlbx

even if they meant what they stated, I can't claim that I understand everything.
bottom line: is sandbox of CIS significantly better than that of CCAV, in your opinion?

My understanding is that CIS employs User Mode hooking - unless COMODO switched to all kernel or a mix of kernel\user mode hooking since 2012.

http://rce.co/why-usermode-hooking-sucks-bypassing-comodo-internet-security/

Still, technically CIS sandbox\Virtual Desktop is more robust than CCAV sandbox.

CIS sandbox has years of vulnerability fixes built into it at this point, whereas CCAV isn't truly a stable release yet... LOL.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
I have tried them all, again and again: NVT ERP, Voodoo, ReHIPS.
They always end up blocking something I want to run, like a chrome update or a windows process or a print job.
Makes me nervous to have to keep an eye all the time on what is being blocked, and give it the right rules.
So I went back to traditional solutions.
Kaspersky+ZAM+HMPA.
I also have blocked the various processes of powershell and wscript and cscript , by means of Kaspersky Application Control.
My system runs smooth, feels pretty light. I am willing to pay that extra couple seconds at bootup.
I think it's a good balance for me between security and sanity.
As long as your happy, in the end it's you who
has to sit in front of it. Thanks for sharing.

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
My understanding is that CIS employs User Mode hooking - unless COMODO switched to all kernel or a mix of kernel\user mode hooking since 2012.
we need to weigh the likelihood that malware will bypass CIS sandbox against the likelihood that the user will make an impatient decision when a standard default/deny solution gets in his face.

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I switched to COMODO Firewall, with auto-sandbox enabled globally (proactive configuration), and browsers running sandboxed.

COMODO has its quirks, but the auto-sandbox function is great. It saves you all those agonizing decisions about whether you trust the file or not. You just run your file, and it gets sandboxed. If you like it, you can take it out of sandbox later.
hmmm, I am not so sure about COMODO anymore. I just installed a little program called Affixa, it makes gmail into your default email client on desktop.
I clicked on installer, I got one prompt from firewall that a .msi file wants to connect to the internet, and I said okay.
Then it installed like a little lamb without a single prompt or autosandbox or anything.
The vendor is not on my trusted list.
Can't figure out what went wrong here. COMODO is very good at blocking and sandboxing files that I want to run. But when it comes to installing a download...

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Go in autosandbox settings. It has one that checks where the file is coming from. The default used to not sandbox stuff not coming from online(online tracking not accurate obviously in all situations). See if that is said to sandbox all. Not 100% on names becaused i haven't used it for months but go in autosandbox settings and you will figure it out.

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Go in autosandbox settings. It has one that checks where the file is coming from. The default used to not sandbox stuff not coming from online(online tracking not accurate obviously in all situations). See if that is said to sandbox all. Not 100% on names becaused i haven't used it for months but go in autosandbox settings and you will figure it out.
there is a setting called "enable file source tracking". I have it enabled. Should I untick it?

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
there is a setting called "enable file source tracking". I have it enabled. Should I untick it?
Yes you should. That will disable the feature i mentioned above completely.

Enable file source tracking – If enabled, CIS will decide whether to sandbox a file based on file source, reputation and location. If disabled, sandbox decisions are based only on file reputation and location.

Also check the setting in the box below this setting by editing each action to see if all are ok based on what you want to achieve.

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Yes you should. That will disable the feature i mentioned above completely.

Also check the setting in the box below this setting by editing each action to see if all are ok based on what you want to achieve.
I don't know. I unticked source tracking, and I can see the rule that all unknowns are supposed to be sandboxed.
I deleted the rules for affixa, and tried reinstalling it, but comodo did the same exact thing. one popup for firewall, then total silence.

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
I don't know. I unticked source tracking, and I can see the rule that all unknowns are supposed to be sandboxed.
I deleted the rules for affixa, and tried reinstalling it, but comodo did the same exact thing. one popup for firewall, then total silence.
Pm me the Afixa link you got and tell me what version of Comodo you use. I will start a VM and try it for you to confirm it's not something in your settings.

H

hjlbx

You don't know why this is happening ?

It is because the Affixa installer is co-signed by COMODO...

Reactions: Deleted member 2913

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.