Advice Request Should i try KIS or stay with the current product ?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

xxx2000

Thread author
Apr 12, 2020
Hi, i have been using ESET IS for about a year. I chose it because it was very light weight and din't affect system performance or browsing/downloading speed. I have been quite satisfied with it . But recently i received notification from "glass wire" that it detected a "ARP spoofing" attack. But both ESET and Malwarebytes didn't give any notification about it. For about a month i saw notification in glasswire that my "internet access has changed" at random times or "got disconnected" but i dint experience any internet disconnect in real time and i was able to use internet normally. This made me doubt that if there could be an ARP spoofing or DNS poisioning attack happening on my network. I did a vulnerability scan of my home network using ESET Home monitor and it suggested me to the try changing router default admin password and wifi pass. I still didn't do it though. My disappointment is why ESET din't warn me anything about the vulnerability or any ARP attack in the 1st place while glasswire notified me about it !?
My ESET licence is going to expire in few days and i am confused if i should try KIS or just stick with ESET IS itself. I have been browsing several forums over d past 2 days and few say ESET has the best internet and runtime protection and few say Kaspersky has the best protection , but pretty heavy on CPU/memory usage. FYI i visit many cracking forums and install cracked warez and malware related websites as i have started learning malware analysis since the past 4 months. I also torrent(both downloading/uploading) on a regular basis and ESET has protected me well from incoming attack sthrough torrents. So are there any extra and good features of KIS which would make me leave ESET and start using KIS ?

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
I personally prefer ESET and never had any issues with it. ESET's firewall is one of the best in the AV industry imo and I would trust it more than Kaspersky in terms of privacy. Maybe you should think about leaving Internet Security products alone in general and just use an antivirus with windows firewall. But its up to you. If you are looking for a good standalone firewall just take Comodo or purchase the premium version of Glasswire, then you don't need an internet security product.

Terry Ganzi

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2014
Hi, i have been using ESET IS for about a year. I chose it because it was very light weight and din't affect system performance or browsing/downloading speed. I have been quite satisfied with it . But recently i received notification from "glass wire" that it detected a "ARP spoofing" attack. But both ESET and Malwarebytes didn't give any notification about it. For about a month i saw notification in glasswire that my "internet access has changed" at random times or "got disconnected" but i dint experience any internet disconnect in real time and i was able to use internet normally. This made me doubt that if there could be an ARP spoofing or DNS poisioning attack happening on my network. I did a vulnerability scan of my home network using ESET Home monitor and it suggested me to the try changing router default admin password and wifi pass. I still didn't do it though. My disappointment is why ESET din't warn me anything about the vulnerability or any ARP attack in the 1st place while glasswire notified me about it !?
My ESET licence is going to expire in few days and i am confused if i should try KIS or just stick with ESET IS itself. I have been browsing several forums over d past 2 days and few say ESET has the best internet and runtime protection and few say Kaspersky has the best protection , but pretty heavy on CPU/memory usage. FYI i visit many cracking forums and install cracked warez and malware related websites as i have started learning malware analysis since the past 4 months. I also torrent(both downloading/uploading) on a regular basis and ESET has protected me well from incoming attack sthrough torrents. So are there any extra and good features of KIS which would make me leave ESET and start using KIS ?

Before you go AV shopping why not try to solve the problem first, I'm no Eset user but I think finding out the cause of the issue and fixing it should be of great importance, in the end it will help you gain more knowledge, Kaspersky is a great Av but it ain't going to solve everything............Just saying.
You said you're using Eset but which 1, next if Eset Internet Security try activating ids and other stuff in it's firewall. If you're using windows firewall reset it, then assign Chrome dns or cloudflare I think they automatically fight against ARP spoofing.

Last edited:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
My disappointment is why ESET din't warn me anything about the vulnerability or any ARP attack in the 1st place while glasswire notified me about it !?
My ESET licence is going to expire in few days and i am confused if i should try KIS or just stick with ESET IS itself.
Was it really disappointing? Did you get attacked?

Kaspersky offer a 30-day free trial for their Internet Security, Total Security and Security Cloud product, where you can evaluate the software alongside Glasswire.

If compatibilities issues arise, exclude the software from each other, and if problems continue switch back to ESET with Glasswire.

Terry Ganzi

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2014
I did a quick lookup and in this thread a legit question was ask and it was never answered and it's and old flaw that was brought up and got shot down without a legit answer from high up people that help out or are admins on Eset Forums........Just saying.

Last edited:

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
Your problem begins with this part:
FYI i visit many cracking forums and install cracked warez and malware related websites as i have started learning malware analysis since the past 4 months. I also torrent(both downloading/uploading) on a regular basis and ESET has protected me well from incoming attack sthrough torrents.

Having ESET or KIS or any other solution would net similar results one way or another, specially when you are installing cracked software.

If you were just learning malware analysis, you would solely do this in an isolated VM environment and not risk your main system.

ESET is lighter than KIS specially when theres scans.
KIS has a few more protection modules but both are recommended. I have been an user of both extensively and go back and forth between them and McAfee.
KIS is more secure than ESET but at a cost of slight heaviness, depending on your system.

EIther way, sorry to say but you looked for this yourself the moment you started visiting cracking forums and installing cracked software, as well as active torrenting.

xxx2000

Thread author
Apr 12, 2020
Well, if anything, maybe keep Glasswire around for a while longer. (y)

Have you demo'd Kaspersky Internet Security yet? Because what seems heavy on one system may be acceptable on another.

For high-risk online behavior, you might consider an additional layer like SysHardener or Simple Windows Hardening.
Sure i ll try KIS with syshardener. I think i ve found a recent weakness in eset's firewall (Not exactly sure about it. Need an experts opinion on it) Check below ;)
Was it really disappointing? Did you get attacked?

Kaspersky offer a 30-day free trial for their Internet Security, Total Security and Security Cloud product, where you can evaluate the software alongside Glasswire.

If compatibilities issues arise, exclude the software from each other, and if problems continue switch back to ESET with Glasswire.
Trying it :)
I did a quick lookup and in this thread a legit question was ask and it was never answered and it's and old flaw that was brought up and got shot down without a legit answer from high up people that help out or are admins on Eset Forums........Just saying.
Ahhh, thanks for the link to this thread. So what i was complaining about few months back about ESET's firewall and port scanning was actually true after all !
(Two different times, ignore the rest of the complaints . I was super paranoid at that time because of d port scanning attacks)
Check out my thread sin these forum where i was complaining about the port scanning attacks and network slowdowns. Now i am using a wifi+router so i dont receive these kind of attacks since the router block it. So it seems that ESET is still weak against these kind of network attacks after all these years ! I dunno if every AV would suffer if the system is connected to the internet without a physical router inbetween. But it seems like that in the article u mentioned above, the person made the attacks against the system using ESET's firewall without a router inbetween , which was also the same in my case.
Hope someone who is an AV expert in this forum could give a clear explanation about this issue.
Excuse me, but if you are using Eset IS, why are you using Glass Wire?

Two firewalls are a cause of error and can interfere and give false positives.

I think you should preclude from Glass Wire.

Regards.:)
Glasswire's firewall ll disable itself automatically after installation because it detected ESET's firewall. :)
Your problem begins with this part:
FYI i visit many cracking forums and install cracked warez and malware related websites as i have started learning malware analysis since the past 4 months. I also torrent(both downloading/uploading) on a regular basis and ESET has protected me well from incoming attack sthrough torrents.

Having ESET or KIS or any other solution would net similar results one way or another, specially when you are installing cracked software.

If you were just learning malware analysis, you would solely do this in an isolated VM environment and not risk your main system.

ESET is lighter than KIS specially when theres scans.
KIS has a few more protection modules but both are recommended. I have been an user of both extensively and go back and forth between them and McAfee.
KIS is more secure than ESET but at a cost of slight heaviness, depending on your system.

EIther way, sorry to say but you looked for this yourself the moment you started visiting cracking forums and installing cracked software, as well as active torrenting.
Yes agreed, cracking softwares are destined to cause problem now or sooner ! I will try KIS 30 day trial and see if i like it . I have VMware, but sometimes i get lazy and skip testing the software for virus in it :D

Bonorex

Level 1
Jun 12, 2020
If I were you, I would try installing KIS (or KTS) and uninstalling Glasswire for two weeks. After the installation, I would run a full system scan. In these two weeks you should see by yourself how heavy KIS is on your system and if KIS will be able to solve your problems without Glasswire's interference. After two weeks install Glasswire in addition to KIS (KTS) and see if you notice any changes. So, at the end of the 30 days trial , you will have a clearer picture, if it's an ESET's problem, Glasswire's problem or a consequence of using both at the same time.
On my PC, KIS is really light on my resources, but it may vary from PC to PC. As a last resort, after 30 days, you can still try Bitdefender for another 30 days.

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
I've installed KIS on many of my friends, relatives & grandchildren's PC over the last few months, partially because it's probably the best there is & therefore the less problems they have it's better for me (and they haven't) - I have a multiple ESET licence but in comparison I rarely find KIS causes slowdown at least after booted a few minutes - KIS licences can be had very cheap unlike ESET which is expensive at leas in UK.

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
There's an undeniable psychological factor in protection. If you lost your trust in ESET there is nothing anyone say that will restore it, just time. If you wish to try Kaspersky be sure to run a full scan after install as it will be much faster after you do it. If you try KIS or KTS uninstall Glasswire.

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
After reading your initial post again, if at all possible I would reinstall Windows from scratch using media you know is safe, & if it were me I would run it for a while using none cracked programs which you cannot be sure of their integrity.

Freud2004

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jun 26, 2020
Hello,
Eset is a very good solution, I install eset Internet security in my mother computer many years ago, she never had a problem, but she is a very convectional user.
kaspersky is another level, is the best solution and I have tried many.
You can download all the torrents you want, without losing speed and it will monitor all files that you download.
The CPU that KIS takes is very low and the 21 version is even better.

CPU load:

1598361880976.png

Sorry for my bad English ;)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.