Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1.6 RU6 MP2 v12.1.6465.6200

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

hjlbx

Yep exactly, it hang at "rollback sth" around 5-10mn then load a bar saying "containing sth" then after says it can't complete the installation. I think it is because some OS changes made by M$

That would be my educated guess. Symantec hasn't yet made changes to the installer to be compatible with the most recent W10 updates.

Although, I didn't get any error messages; just a hang mid-stream of install.

Reactions: Deleted member 2913
D

Deleted member 2913

i tried to install SEP yesterday on Win10 Home, and it couldn't finish the installation; any if you had this kind of issue?
I had the issue on Win 10 64 & mention something rollback & install didn't completed. I too tried few times with the same prob.

Actually Windows Defender messes with SEP install. I tried disabling WD 3 times & everytime SEP install was successful so definitely WD is the culprit for SEP install fail.

Reactions: Deleted member 178
D

Deleted member 2913

I think the Application control Module is for the protection of Autorun from the USB
Yes it seems so. When I had installed it & attached a USB, got a message something like auto run blocked or something. I think other AVs deletes autorun something call inf or something but ACM of SEP only blocks the autorun as its not malicious but a function.

And is it also for to provide control of the SEP on the system if managed by SEPM?

D

Deleted member 178

I had the issue on Win 10 64 & mention something rollback & install didn't completed. I too tried few times with the same prob.

Actually Windows Defender messes with SEP install. I tried disabling WD 3 times & everytime SEP install was successful so definitely WD is the culprit for SEP install fail.
good to know , i will try right now. will keep you informed.

D

Deleted member 178

iIm using Rollback RX , if i use the reduced client when i rollback to a previous snapshot, SEP re-download the full DB.

D

Deleted member 2913

iIm using Rollback RX , if i use the reduced client when i rollback to a previous snapshot, SEP re-download the full DB.
I dont get it.

You mean installed reduced client size then created Rollback snapshot. And on reverting to this snapshot SEP downloading full databases?

D

Deleted member 2913

If I remember correctly Rollback also automatically creates snapshot on some installs/updates i.e on installing/updating some programs Rollback gives a window creating snapshot for the ongoing installs/updates, do you mean this snapshot? Or you manually created a snapshot after completing the install of SEP?

D

Deleted member 178

Any, manually or automatic; seems SEP is timestamping its DB; and when you rollback , it find some inconsistencies and redownload the full DB.

D

Deleted member 2913

Any, manually or automatic; seems SEP is timestamping its DB; and when you rollback , it find some inconsistencies and redownload the full DB.
Ok.

I had installed SEP reduced size & updated & created a snapshot with AX64. I will revert to the snapshot now & post the outcome here.

reyes

Level 4
Verified
Sep 5, 2013

"Symantec Endpoint Protection Application and Device Control enables extra security protection for client systems. Simple rules created with Application and Device Control can enforce security policies and stop unknown malware. Application Control provides administrators with the ability to monitor and/or control the behavior of applications" This is what written about Application and Device Control in their website

D

Deleted member 2913

Ok.

I had installed SEP reduced size & updated & created a snapshot with AX64. I will revert to the snapshot now & post the outcome here.
Ok, I reverted to the snapshot. GUI showed latest definitions. I checked with LiveUpdates & it too showed uptodate. So no probs here.

D

Deleted member 2913

"Symantec Endpoint Protection Application and Device Control enables extra security protection for client systems. Simple rules created with Application and Device Control can enforce security policies and stop unknown malware. Application Control provides administrators with the ability to monitor and/or control the behavior of applications" This is what written about Application and Device Control in their website
So it means Application Control is useful if you are going to create rules/policy otherwise no need to install, right?

D

Deleted member 178

Ok, I reverted to the snapshot. GUI showed latest definitions. I checked with LiveUpdates & it too showed uptodate. So no probs here.

Wait some days lol, if the database wasn't updated in the meantime , no issues will appear; iin my case it usually happened after few days.

D

Deleted member 2913

Wait some days lol, if the database wasn't updated in the meantime , no issues will appear; iin my case it usually happened after few days.
If I will keep SEP then will see.

But the databases was updated i.e it updated some revocation thing. So no probs now. As mentioned if I keep SEP will keep an eye & see.

D

Deleted member 2913

Guess it provides some malicious url protection through firewall but no phishing protection, right?

D

Deleted member 2913

Total disk space required by SEP unmanaged is around 1.4 GB + the initial database update. One time I observed the initial update to be around 100 MB. The incremental updates were always very slow plus they didn't always install correctly.

Plus, the SEP Manager was another 4+ GB.
I did custom install i.e reduced size databases & didn't install mail protection & application control. Updated the databases, it was quick. Restarted the system.
As per Symantec reduced size is app 80-90% less of the full size.

Programs & Features shows Symantec Endpoint Protection (Not 498MB but 988MB).
Program Files (x86) Symantec Folders Properties shows Size 132 MB & Size on Disk 89.5 MB.

UPDATE - Edited the bold part above. May be I didn't noticed correctly previously.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.