The Best AV You've Ever Used?

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
It would take an awful lot for me now to move away from KIS, probably for the first time in years - I see no good reason to move away from it or even try another - Must have installed it on 12 PC's or more recently from oldish laptops to new & it's been OK on all :oops::oops:

carl fish

Level 7
Verified
Mar 6, 2012
I have used Norton IS and trend micro internet security back in 2006 Avast avg avira ad aware spy bot S &D spy sweeper back in the 90's McAfee in 2009, Emsisoft when they offered the full internet security and comodo IS and their firewall at one point or another.

I did use 360 at one point as well

I have used avast version 5 in modern times but didn't like the way it was going

I have tried out eset and g data and secure A plus but only on a trial

I have been using malware bytes for as i long as i can remember

I also did try bit defender also but i got a refund straight away as I didn't like it at all, but for me I hated comodo and secure A plus the most because they require to much user interaction for my liking.

I have be using Kaspersky IS since 2012 because I like how you can set it to be kind of like comodo but it requires less user interaction, but if I had to ever move to different av I would choose Trend Micro, although I don't like the fact that many internet security packages don't have their own firewall included these days apart from McAfee and their consumer versions not having a good BB and without these some security suites are not worth paying for.

Last edited:

bribon77

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
Definitely for me it is KIS.
I have tried some very good ones, like Eset.

But, there is nothing 100%, everything can fail at any time, I think it depends a lot on the user and the knowledge of AV settings, and extensions and browser settings, there are many factors that should be configured, it is not only the antivirus.:)

carl fish

Level 7
Verified
Mar 6, 2012

But, there is nothing 100%, everything can fail at any time, I think it depends a lot on the user and the knowledge of AV settings, and extensions and browser settings, there are many factors that should be configured, it is not only the antivirus.:)
yes you are right some av settings can be very difficult for some users, yes there are many factors in this

yes you are right some av settings can be very difficult for some users, yes there are many factors in this
I think it also depends on how much users need to interact with their av because some av's require more user interaction than others.

fabiobr

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 28, 2019

For my family I think Bitdefender is the best option because of this and autopilot thing, plus Bitdefender central. They don't know how to tweak an AV.

Kaspersky is the best, but still need some tweaks and answer some pop ups when it asks to. Bitdefender is full automated, install and forget.

bribon77

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
For my family I think Bitdefender is the best option because of this and autopilot thing, plus Bitdefender central. They don't know how to tweak an AV.

Kaspersky is the best, but still need some tweaks and answer some pop ups when it asks to. Bitdefender is full automated, install and forget.
There is no doubt that Bitdefender is a great AV. Along with Kasperky, Eset, Norton, Avira, although I have not used it for a long time, but it is still an excellent antivirus, it seems that many things have improved, in Bitdefender.(y)

Kermit80

Level 1
Mar 29, 2020
For me it is ESET NOD32 Antivirus Business Edition Version 4.2.76.0, been using this along with Outpost firewall Pro since 2009 in one of my old Windows 7 system, still going strong for me, although its nearing EOL this December.
that is a very old piece of software. I wouldn't rely on it. It still is a good on-demand scanner though.

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Far as I'm concerned: none of the above. I cannot stand even the idea of an antivirus on my system, it is barely even a "necessary evil." Back in the day it was Kaspersky Internet Security, but it got expensive and I wasn't coming here to get any discounts.

Defender now as it's the last outpost before going "free and easy." Doesn't bog down this machine and I can augment and tweak it into something decently powerful (thank you Andy Ful, many times).

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.