upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
ETy8uDgWoAE0RWJ

Meet our new fast and flexible multi-platform IOC and YARA scanner THOR in a reduced free version named THOR Lite. THOR Lite includes the file system and process scan module as well as module that extracts “autoruns” information on the different platforms.

While our enterprise scanner THOR uses VALHALLA‘s big YARA rule base, the free THOR Lite version ships with the Open Source signature base, which is also part of our free Python scanner LOKI.
  • Free scanner for Windows, Linux and macOS
  • Precompiled and encrypted open source signature set
  • Update utility to download tested versions with signature updates
  • Documentation
  • Option add your custom IOCs and signatures
  • Different output formats: text log, SYSLOG (udp/tcp/tcp+tls), JSON to file, JSON via Syslog
  • Scan throttling to limit the CPU usage
Screenshot-2020-02-22-at-10.24.25.png
To receive the download and license, subscribe to the news letter here :
Extract the files and license in a new created folder. Read the " THOR_Manual " pdf file for more information located in the docs folder.

Not to be confused with the Danish company Heimdal Securitys Thor products.

Disclaimer
You use THOR lite on your own risk.

Last edited:

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
I have found the thor virustotal results for the apt scanner to be very accurate on unknown malware. Interested to see this tool in action.
Correct, and also a reason why I got curious enough at start with LOKI, but please be aware that the VT results is detected with their Valhalla rule sets and that's used in the enterprise version of Thor.

More information on their scanners here :

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
Correct, and also a reason why I got curious enough at start with LOKI, but please be aware that the VT results is detected with their Valhalla rule sets and that's used in the enterprise version of Thor.

More information on their scanners here :

Yes that's why I'm curious also but sad we won't get the best rule set available. I would like to test their enterprise version because it has confirmed my suspicions about probable malware before. I knew the files were dirty but no one else on virustotal detected them. I think yara rules are the wave of the future in av detection engines, they seem to be able to identify unkown malware quicker.

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
This is one of the features Thor Lite don't have.
The new remote scanning feature called “THOR Remote” allows you to perform triage scans on hundreds of remote systems from a single admin workstation. You can think of it as an integrated PsExec. No scripting, no agents, no hustle.

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
THOR Scanner extends Microsoft Defender ATP’s real-time monitoring by intense local scans to allow a full on-demand compromise assessment. THOR is a forensic scanner that integrates into Microsoft Defender ATP to scan the local filesystem, registry, logs and other elements for traces of hacking activity using 10,000 hand-written YARA rules and thousands of filename, C2, hash, mutex and named pipe IOCs to them. This live forensic scan reduces the work of your forensic analysts to a minimum and generates results as fast as possible for you to react in a timely manner. Learn more about the integration.

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015

Scanning an Exchange Server for ProxyShell and ProxyToken vulnerabilities with THOR Lite

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.