New Update uBlock Origin/Nano Adblocker - User Tips, Questions and Issues Thread

PotentialUser

Level 1
May 28, 2020
That's because the domains list is collapsed by default. You need to do this expand it.
You can also expand them individually by clicking the empty space on the left of the domain names.

Thank you for the reply! I did as you suggested and expanded the listed domains in the uBO addon for Firefox and here is the result for apple.com.

Screen Shot 2020-06-16 at 2.22.58 PM.png

In this case, it seems like some akamaiedge.net subdomain is masking www.apple.com (not vice-versa) since the Apple domain is the one in small font under the canonical domain. The same thing happens with a subdomain of omtrdc.net masking some "securemvt" Apple subdomain.

So we're still in the same dilemma. Had apple.com been the one masking akamaiedge.net and omtrdc.net, I could see how this would be a CNAME issue. But in this case, the Akamai and OMTRDC.net domains are masking Apple domains, not the other way around.

Doesn't that mean they both should be showing up in Chromium-based browsers? Because they're not the ones being masked, they are the ones doing the masking. And while Chromium-based browsers don't have the ability to uncloak masked domains, they are still supposed to list the main domains that load up (which the Akamai and OMTRDC.net domains seem to be).

redsworn

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Dec 6, 2017
Thank you for the reply! I did as you suggested and expanded the listed domains in the uBO addon for Firefox and here is the result for apple.com.

View attachment 242875

In this case, it seems like some akamaiedge.net subdomain is masking www.apple.com (not vice-versa) since the Apple domain is the one in small font under the canonical domain. The same thing happens with a subdomain of omtrdc.net masking some "securemvt" Apple subdomain.

So we're still in the same dilemma. Had apple.com been the one masking akamaiedge.net and omtrdc.net, I could see how this would be a CNAME issue. But in this case, the Akamai and OMTRDC.net domains are masking Apple domains, not the other way around.

Doesn't that mean they both should be showing up in Chromium-based browsers? Because they're not the ones being masked, they are the ones doing the masking. And while Chromium-based browsers don't have the ability to uncloak masked domains, they are still supposed to list the main domains that load up (which the Akamai and OMTRDC.net domains seem to be).
To my understanding that's exactly what uncloaking does. It exposes all masked domains which previously can't be detected by uBO.
You can try to install pre-1.25.0 uBO on a clean Firefox to confirm this.
uBlock Origin 1.24.4 release
Testing the latest uBO version on FF and Chromium browser would be like comparing an apple and orange. Because the FF uBO has a feature that the Chromium doesn't.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Firefox. Maybe @SeriousHoax or @Lenny_Fox, etc. can help cipher this.
redsworn has explained everything nicely. Yes, that's how it is. You need to click on those domain to reveal the actual domain and it's only possible in Firefox. There's no alternative for this CNAME uncloaking feature in Chromium browsers.

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Here are the release notes from recent update to v. 1.28.0. If you've ever used "Allow" rules for dynamic filtering, I've italicized some very important info that some users may not be aware of. Please read and heed! (y)

Changes:
##script:inject(...), which has been deprecated in favor of ##+js(...) for more than two years, is no longer supported.

It's no longer possible to point-and-click to create allow (green) rules from within the popup panel by default. This change is motivated by seeing way too many cases of improper usage of dynamic filtering in which users are creating allow (green) rules where noop (gray) rules should have been used.

Creating allow rules has serious consequences as these override blocking static filters and can potentially disable other advanced filtering ability such as HTML filtering and scriptlet injection -- often used to deal with anti-blocker mechanisms; to the point where misusing allow rules can easily cause a user to be less protected than when using uBO with default settings/lists.

You can get back temporarily the ability to create allow rules from within the popup panel by tapping twice the Ctrl key.

Improved syntax highlighting of static filters in "My filters" and asset viewer. Additionally, in "My filters":

• Ability to toggle commenting out of filter(s) by pressing the Tab key
  • Auto-completion using Ctrl-Space, this works for:
    • Static filter options
    • Resource names for redirect= option
    • Procedural operators for cosmetic/HTML filters
    • Scriptlet names for ##+js filters
Release 1.28.0 · gorhill/uBlock

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Changes include a revamp of built-in malware filters:

gorhill released this 3 days ago
Commits to master since this release
To install the stable build:
  • Firefox: Pending review
    • uBO works best on Firefox.
  • Chromium: Not submitted for review yet
    • For Chromium version 54 and older, it is necessary to enable "Experimental JavaScript" at chrome://flags/#enable-javascript-harmony.
  • Edge: Install from Microsoft Store: Microsoft Edge Addons.
    • The Microsoft Store version of uBO is published by Nik Rolls
  • Opera: Not submitted for review yet
Changes:
Both stock malware domain lists, which are enabled by default in uBO, have been replaced by URLhaus Malicious URL blocklist, which is now enabled by default in uBO.
For existing installations, both removed malware lists will be moved to the Custom section if you still have them enabled. It is recommended you remove these lists from your Custom lists -- only you can do this, uBO does not remove lists which are currently enabled. It may take a few days before you are updated with the new default stock lists.
Closed as fixed:

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
You guys know on UBO there are green, grey, and red options for site whether to be allow, noop, or block. Well, my UBO on my FF has no green option. Only grey and red options. I did reinstall FF and install UBO and no green option at all.

FF 78.0.2 64 bitt
uBlock Origin v1.28.2

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
You guys know on UBO there are green, grey, and red options for site whether to be allow, noop, or block.

See post #226. Users should be using Noop and not Allow. gorhill regrets building the Allow rule into uBO since misuse of this rule leads to less privacy and security.

Please learn to use the Noop rule.

Last edited:

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
See post #226. Users should be using Noop and not Allow. gorhill regrets building the Allow rule into uBO since misuse of this rule leads to less privacy and security.

Please learn to use the Noop rule.

Ooooo okay

Chrome ubo still has green option allow.

Reactions: Protomartyr

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Ooooo okay

Chrome ubo still has green option allow.
Because it's not up to date yet.
Latest stable release is: 1.28.2.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Using uBO (hard mode) in FF alone anyone can get the below 2 sites to display pictures and videos without whitelisting them? Please disable your other blockers like Disconnet, Ghostery, Privacy Badger, Adguard, uMatrix etc for testing.

If yes, let me know what items did you noop.

Thanks

Last edited:

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Using uBO in FF alone anyone can get the below 2 sites to display pictures and videos without whitelisting them? Please disable your other blockers like Disconnet, Ghostery, Privacy Badger, Adguard, uMatrix etc for testing.

Thanks
No problem with both sites with MS Edge and uBlock Origin (stock filters).
So, it's something in Firefox or a filter list you added.
But sorry I don't have Firefox installed to test.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
No problem with both sites with MS Edge and uBlock Origin (stock filters).
So, it's something in Firefox or a filter list you added.
But sorry I don't have Firefox installed to test.
My Ungoolged Chromium has no issue either. I'm also using the same set of filters in both Ungoogled Chromium and FF

This uBO test is for FF only

Reactions: oldschool

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Using uBO in FF alone anyone can get the below 2 sites to display pictures and videos without whitelisting them? Please disable your other blockers like Disconnet, Ghostery, Privacy Badger, Adguard, uMatrix etc for testing.

Thanks
I can see pictures on Firefox even with uBO in medium mode.
Edit: For videos I needed to noop
Code:
ooyala.com

Reactions: oldschool

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
OK attached some pictures

With uBO enabled in FF

View attachment 244287

With uBO disabled in FF

View attachment 244286
My bad. I checked on both Firefox and Edge and on Firefox it shows some more domains thanks to uBlock's ability to uncloak cname on Firefox.
You need to noop "akamaiedge.net". I didn't notice this at first because I had globally created a noop rule for this one. You may wanna do the same because quite a few sites use their CDN.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
My bad. I checked on both Firefox and Edge and on Firefox it shows some more domains thanks to uBlock's ability to uncloak cname on Firefox.
You need to noop "akamaiedge.net". I didn't notice this at first because I had globally created a noop rule for this one. You may wanna do the same because quite a few sites use their CDN.
You see I noop everything and still no pictures and videos. Can show a picture of your noop setting in FF hard mode?

1594813799342.png

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.