New Update uBlock Origin/Nano Adblocker - User Tips, Questions and Issues Thread

ErzCrz

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019
There's a few pages of these lists on FilterLists | Subscriptions for uBlock Origin, Adblock Plus, AdGuard, ... which you could try. Alternatively, I suppose the other option is to block faceboo/insta/google etc under dynamic rules and then just noop for the site itself (as described in The Hated One 2018 Privacy video UBO settings starting around 7 minutes in the video ). I do it generically for facebook, twitter, insta myself. Just prevents tracking from those. I'll post my dynamic rules later.

Last edited:

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
I was updated to Chromium 84 today and I immediately noticed a performance issue with the "Filter lists" pane in uBO's dashboard (pic). See https://github.com/uBlockOrigin/uBlock-issues/issues/1196… I don't know the root cause of the issue, but a workaround fix has been issued, available in latest dev build.

Expect an updated version soon:
I think I will publish an emergency release if the issue is confirmed fixed.

Edit: Well, looking at the current dev build, it's probably time to prepare for a full release, last one was over a month ago.

ErzCrz

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019

I have been noticing a lag in opening the My Filter Lists page lately in Chromium Edge 84.0.522.52 (UBO 1.28.4) Lets hope a fix is released soon.

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I have been noticing a lag in opening the My Filter Lists page lately in Chromium Edge 84.0.522.52 (UBO 1.28.4) Lets hope a fix is released soon.
Edge hangs for several seconds here before closing, so they clearly have some bugs to address. I guess this is part of M$'s rolling bug-updates? :D
I do it generically for facebook, twitter, insta myself. Just prevents tracking from those.
That's the best way to approach it if one uses medium mode, to lessen reliance on filter lists - especially when falling back temporarily to Easy+ mode.

Last edited:

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019

I've been noticing this for the last few days but thought maybe it's a sign of my laptop getting old 😄
Good to know it's being fixed in the dev version already.

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I just realized µBO now has Dark Mode UI. Nice! (y) (y) In case you're wondering how ...

... go to Settings > "I'm an advance user" Advanced Settings > scroll down to 'uiTheme' and change 'unset' > 'dark' = Done.

Capture.PNG

jacemace

Level 1
Apr 17, 2014
thank you oldschool - i have had ublock in dark mode for a while through browser extensions - but the drop down menu appeared all dark - the symbols were barely visible, and the drop down menu was used from positional memory - now with the ublock theme changed to dark, the symbols are highlighted and visibly bright.

Morro

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 8, 2012
I just realized µBO now has Dark Mode UI. Nice! (y) (y) In case you're wondering how ...

... go to Settings > "I'm an advance user" Advanced Settings > scroll down to 'uiTheme' and change 'unset' > 'dark' = Done.

View attachment 250186

Okay, this is odd. I had it set to dark mode, but for some odd reason it is as of today back to default white? No matter how often I set "unset" from uiTheme to dark and save the setting the UI no longer changes to Dark Mode. :( ( It is not the end of the world but it is still odd in my opinion? )

rain2reign

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2020
Okay, this is odd. I had it set to dark mode, but for some odd reason it is as of today back to default white? No matter how often I set "unset" from uiTheme to dark and save the setting the UI no longer changes to Dark Mode. :( ( It is not the end of the world but it is still odd in my opinion? )
It's locked to the dev build, last time I checked, for manual override of the dark ui theme. See: Ublock Origin advanced settings#uitheme

uiTheme

Default: unset.
uBO 1.30.1b3 and above.
For development purposes only! DO NOT create issues about this feature!
Locked to dev build only in 1.31.3b5.
Allows to manually override dark mode theme status.
Possible values:
  • unset: depending on uBO version - force light theme or uBO will pick the theme according to browser's prefers-color-scheme
  • light: force light theme
  • dark: force dark theme

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
Users will forget this setting after they saved it per site.
I also see another way of uniqueness in that system.
When they are on the site the setting will show, so how forget? Also clicking on more will show the (existing) advanced list view. It is intended for users wanting to try out mediu. Mode, but may find the advanced list view with all options to complex.

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
Intro:

Just after the introduction of Chrome browser, people started to share tips to block javascript in Chrome, allowing som Top Level Domains and Country code. I always combined this with Easy Medium mode Kees1958 tip to limit both ORIGIN and DESTINATION to a few whitelisted Top Level Domains.

To block the very very annoying Google consents I had o remove it and set Javascript to allow by default and only block javascript execution on Google search and maps. A few versions ago uBlock started to facilitate group domains(Adguard had always facilitated group domains.). So instead of mentioning all the country codes which applied to a certain Google block, the rule could be achieved by "JustA/google.*/URL" .

For fun I tried whether these group domains also worked with no-scripting option and to my surprise it worked well, see picture below

1626504593883.png

Last edited:
  • +Reputation
Reactions: oldschool

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.