New Update uBlock Origin/Nano Adblocker - User Tips, Questions and Issues Thread

amirr

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
Configuring UBO in Medium mode:
I enabled "I am an advanced user" in the Settings of UBO and then did this:
Blocked 3rd party scripts and frames.

Is that okay? I don't want to go too much extreme in the medium mode of UBO.

Question: What is the 3rd part filed in the screenshot below I marked with a (?).
Thanks.

1635095953152.png

rain2reign

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2020
Configuring UBO in Medium mode:
I enabled "I am an advanced user" in the Settings of UBO and then did this:
Blocked 3rd party scripts and frames.

Is that okay? I don't want to go too much extreme in the medium mode of UBO.

Question: What is the 3rd part filed in the screenshot below I marked with a (?).
Thanks.

View attachment 261473
3rd-party, means all third-party content and connections. Whereas 3rd-party scripts and frames, just scripts and frames not native to the domain itself. Think of a YouTube embedded video on a blog website for example.

Just blocked the 3rd-party scripts and 3rd-party frames is medium mode and is enough for the majority of the users of uBlock Origin. If it's too much, you can always change it or only use one of the two. A more forgiving mode would be Enhanced Easy Mode, for instance. Blocking mode · gorhill/uBlock Wiki

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Thanks, I am watching it. But the tiny green column has been removed in the newer versions of UBO.

View attachment 261477
Allow is not recommended anymore, but if you really must stil available by using the ctrl key.
allow rules can easily cause a user to be less protected than when using uBO with default settings/lists.
It's no longer possible to point-and-click to create allow (green) rules from within the popup panel by default. This change is motivated by seeing way too many cases of improper usage of dynamic filtering in which users are creating allow (green) rules where noop (gray) rules should have been used.

Creating allow rules has serious consequences as these override blocking static filters and can potentially disable other advanced filtering ability such as HTML filtering and scriptlet injection -- often used to deal with anti-blocker mechanisms; to the point where misusing allow rules can easily cause a user to be less protected than when using uBO with default settings/lists.

Here are typical cases of misuse out of countless I have seen in the wild, including many of them being presented as a reference solution while they actually made things worst. Very recently I even had to correct a technical blog post telling people to use allow rules to override block rules, with no mention of noop rules -- which are the default way to override block rules, while allow rules are to be used in rare, exceptional circumstances. For reference, after years using medium/hard mode, I still have zero allow rules in my permanent ruleset.

You can get back temporarily the ability to create allow rules from within the popup panel by tapping twice the Ctrl key. In some browser versions[1], double-tapping the Ctrl key does not work, in such case you can recover the ability to create allow rules by changing the advanced setting filterAuthorMode to true.

[1] Tor Browser; Firefox with privacy.resistFingerprinting set to true.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
But Gray also means allow if used in the second column, right?
Here I have (as an example) facebook blocked globally (first column) but allowed (noop) locally (on facebook.com)(second column):

Schermafbeelding 2021-10-24 205145.jpg

My rules for that are:
* facebook.com * block
* facebook.net * block
* fbcdn.net * block
* fbsbx.com * block
facebook.com facebook.com * noop
facebook.com facebook.net * noop
facebook.com fbcdn.net * noop
facebook.com fbsbx.com * noop

Last edited by a moderator:

Jan Willy

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 5, 2019
Adguard Mobile Filters make a big difference on phone if you use Firefox or Kiwi Browser. Easylist is gold but it's heavily biased towards desktop based ads and Adguard is far superior to EasyPrivacy in terms of anti-tracking without breaking the whole pages!
Today's smartphones and tablets are potent enough to handle big filterlists. Nevertheless, a nice source to find 'optimized' Adguard-filterlists is Add Adguard optimized filters in built-in lists

amirr

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
Technically, Noop means "not operable" but you can take it to mean allow for practical purposes.
Also, a friend told me this:

Default (grey) is fine, better than green actually. Green allows everything, which you rarely want to do, because let’s say a site you allowed suddenly decides to serve ads, they won’t be intercepted by uBO. Grey will still block content, but based on rules etc., not on network policy (red/green).

Use green only on really trusted sites that don’t work properly with grey.

ErzCrz

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019
Original Medium Mode guide here: Blocking mode: medium mode · gorhill/uBlock Wiki

I use an adopted version of this one: Browser Add-on - uBlock0rigin in Medium mode for Lighter and Stronger Protection, with Less websites breakage and hassle

but a more updated tweaking dynamic rules to the below and a mixture of static rules from the linked version above.

no-csp-reports: * true
no-large-media: behind-the-scene false
no-popups: * true
* * 3p block
* * 3p-frame block
* * 3p-script block
* com * noop
* eu * noop
* gov * noop
* inf * noop
* info * noop
* io * noop
* net * noop
* org * noop
* uk * noop
behind-the-scene * * noop
behind-the-scene * 1p-script noop
behind-the-scene * 3p noop
behind-the-scene * 3p-frame noop
behind-the-scene * 3p-script noop
behind-the-scene * image noop
behind-the-scene * inline-script noop

It's not overly complicated once you get your head around it but check the above and the official wiki for more detailed information ;)

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Also, a friend told me this:

Default (grey) is fine, better than green actually. Green allows everything, which you rarely want to do, because let’s say a site you allowed suddenly decides to serve ads, they won’t be intercepted by uBO. Grey will still block content, but based on rules etc., not on network policy (red/green).

Use green only on really trusted sites that don’t work properly with grey.
That was me in post 406 ;)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.