New Update uBlock Origin update thread

F

ForgottenSeer 97327

@JanWilly, I could not find what was causing it, therefor I decided to copy the less restrictive Edge policies of my wife's laptop and that did the trick (so@oldschool was right, it was because of my tweaks). UBOL is a nice adblocker. I like the slider option to increase adblocking (I always liked that option of Ghostery also). (y)

Trailing uBOL in stead of uBO. To view Volkskrant and NRC I have to disable javascript, pity on Volkskrant the images are not displayed when reloading. Hopefully uBOL will allow user rules or blocklists in future. (Edit I looked at Github uBOL, sadly both ideas are declined by mr Gorhill :cry: )

Last edited by a moderator:

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
uBlock Origin 1.51.0 released on GitHub:
To install the stable build:

Fixes / changes​

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
uBOLite_1.0.23.8106 released on GitHub, but not available yet on Chrome web store.
uBO Lite (uBOL), an experimental permission-less MV3 API-based content blocker.

See summary description/documentation.

Release notes​

Refer to log.txt to see filters which could not be converted due to MV3 incompatibility. At the moment not all discarded filters are necessarily reported in there

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
uBOLite_1.0.23.8128 released two days ago on GitHub, this version is also available for Firefox: uBlock Origin Lite – Get this Extension for 🦊 Firefox (en-US)

Release notes​

This is the first version which functions as expected in Firefox and which is published to AMO.
Refer to log.txt to see filters which could not be converted due to MV3 incompatibility. At the moment not all discarded filters are necessarily reported in there

Last edited:

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
uBOLite_1.0.23.8155 released today on GitHub, already available for Firefox, not yet on Chrome web store.
I am testing it on Firefox since last weekend, blocks ads and most annoyance stuff... no issues so far 👍

Release notes​

Installation​

The extension will auto-update when a new version is published.

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
uBO Lite does a good job and is a nice set and forget solution. For me there are too much limitations: no custom rules, no advanced mode, no log. So I will never use it permanently.
True, log feature and custom rules would be handy, I guess some features will be added in upcoming versions over this year and next year. My point is that we can't say for sure how will be the future for browser extensions/addons due to MV3... In the worst case remains only limited functions solutions as adblocker like uBO Lite.

F

ForgottenSeer 97327

@silversurfer when you look at the disclaimer of Gorhil posted by @Gandalf_The_Grey

Gorhill said:
Keep in mind the "Lite" word: by design it's meant to be very simple, it's not meant to have all the features of uBO. If want all the features of uBO, just keep using uBO.

and the response to LennyFox discussion on Github

I think it will stay what it is a uBO Lite :)

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
@silversurfer when you look at the disclaimer of Gorhil posted by @Gandalf_The_Grey

and the response to LennyFox discussion on Github

I think it will stay what it is a uBO Lite :)
Agree, probably less features only in uBO Lite, but maybe the dev G. consider to add a few more filters instead the ability for custom filters, I am fine with that 👍
Beside my personal interest my other reason is also for people around me and their devices, they prefer simple stuff as much as possible, I help them with maintenance and give suggestions for software or apps. So for simple usability of adblockers either uBO at default or uBO Lite at max. Adguard is no option in this context...

Thanks for the link from LennyFox, I see also comments from Kees1958, both seems to be very similar person as I remember both were active here on MT some years ago.

Jan Willy

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 5, 2019
Thanks for the link from LennyFox, I see also comments from Kees1958, both seems to be very similar person as I remember both were active here on MT some years ago.
It's not relevant for this thread, but In the past they were both members of MalwareTips. LennyFox is still member, but he doesn't contribute anymore. I've learned much from them.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
uBlock Origin 1.52.0 released:

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
uBlock Origin 1.52.2 released yesterday on GitHub:

Morro

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 8, 2012
I have a question.

Out of habit with a Chrome browser, I installed uBlock Origin from the Chrome webstore. There Raymond Hill (gorhill) is shown as the author. (And rightfully so.) But when I checked to see if the Edge extension store had the latest version of uBlock Origin, I see the name Nik Rolls? Are they the same, or two different people and this person just upholds the Edge version page for Raymond?

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
I have a question.

Out of habit with a Chrome browser, I installed uBlock Origin from the Chrome webstore. There Raymond Hill (gorhill) is shown as the author. (And rightfully so.) But when I checked to see if the Edge extension store had the latest version of uBlock Origin, I see the name Nik Rolls? Are they the same, or two different people and this person just upholds the Edge version page for Raymond?
Formerly username on GitHub : nikrolls - Overview
Looks like he/she forked uBlock as version for the Edge addon store but that was in the past (last version 2018), according to GitHub:
This repository has been archived by the owner on Oct 11, 2020. It is now read-only.

Last edited:

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
I have a question.

It was a former fork for the old Edge, but now it is the official uBlock Origin version from Ramond Hill.
uBlock Origin is now maintained in the core repository
It was difficult/impossible to change the owner with Microsoft so it stays published by Nik Rolls.
The Edge version is most of the time faster with updates, so I use the Edge version.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.