New Update uBlock0rigin in Medium mode for Lighter and Stronger Protection, with Less websites breakage and hassle

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Just post your uMatrix rules here and I will check it out.
Here,

Windows_Security

Level 24
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
@oldschool & @Gandalf_The_Grey good point and suggestion, I have deleted some posts. From now on only uBO stuff in this thread. I have deleted all the post related to uMatrix I still couild edit. Will report the post asking admins to delete the post I can't edit anymore.

@Windows_Security
You set up on my browser absolutely flies! So how would I go about updating your "static filters list" if it's based on WSTech research? Is there a link or does the SmartAdBlock extension show this list to be copied or exported?
WStech research is based on a yearly inquiry, so I will update it only once a year.

Attachments

• W3techs_Ads_Trackers_ABP_format.txt
    3.1 KB · Views: 997

Windows_Security

Level 24
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
Kees, is this the new update?
Minor update (cleaned the list). in previous one I had also included google analytics. When people respond to an advertisement with discount, blocking google analytics might also block you from the discount. So removed google analytics. Also removed a service taken over by a bigger player. Added two lesser used tracking services two keep the number around 175.

ErzCrz

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019
I should check this out. I wasn't aware of uBO's capabilities and have just been running default config. Is implementation a simple import or each step of the original post?

Erz

Reactions: oldschool

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
@oldschool

I googled for Windows_Security and discovered that he used a nickname Kees1958 at Wilders Security forum before he started using Windows_Security (he posted a few SRP threads with this nickname which seemed to inspire @Andy Ful to develop Hard_Configurator).

The list mentioned here (WS_tech) is also mentioned on Github which is maintened by user Kees1958
Here is the link of the raw file (copy this in adblocker, adguard or uBlock when you want):

Latest update is a few weeks ago, so he seems to be alive, but not posting on Wilders Security or MalwareTips anymore.

EDIT: Windows_Security must be still reading this forum, because Kees1958 just added the w3tech top 200 in host file format on Github

Kees1958 thanks I added it to the host file blocklist of uMatrix (y)

Last edited:

monkeylove

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Mar 9, 2014
I tried the ff. setup: uBO at default settings, but with all lists disabled except for my filters, Malvertising, and Top 500.

Cookie warning popups still showed up in some sites, so I activated EasyList Cookie.

The page format of yahoo.com got broken.

rdsu

Level 1
Oct 25, 2014
I tried the ff. setup: uBO at default settings, but with all lists disabled except for my filters, Malvertising, and Top 500.

Cookie warning popups still showed up in some sites, so I activated EasyList Cookie.

The page format of yahoo.com got broken.
Because it has:
||yimg.com^$third-party

The Top500 list are very good, but also needs to have some exception rules...

Until then, use Top200 to avoid more issues like this...

ErzCrz

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019
I prefer the simplistic approach with uBO in Medium mode. I could spend all day subscribing to lists and I've done the recommeded Medium Mode lists and one or two others but the medium mode at least blocks third party scripts and frames as a default-deny which is enough for me.

Just thought I'd mention it since everyone was discussing lists.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.