App Review Vipre Advanced Security BETA

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
Content created by
Shadowra

Shadowra

Level 33
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
Hello and welcome to the Vipre BETA test.
Vipre is a well-known antivirus software edited by ThreatTrack, formerly managed by SunBelt and GFI.
Vipre has always been known by geeks or computer security enthusiasts, but not by novices.

For this version, Vipre comes back with improvements like the AMSI system, or a new behavioral blocker!
But, Vipre abandons its excellent anti-malware scanner to use the Bitdefender engine.

The interface has not changed at all. On the other hand, a memory and file processing optimization has been done, and the optimization is violent! It's light and fast, I love it.

The detection is still very good! Vipre even blocks the download of the fake crack! I don't know how it does it since it contains a password, but I applaud it!

On the files, VIPRE did not surprise! It manages without any problem to catch up with everything I launch! It blocks and disinfects the machine thanks to its behavioral shield (VIPRE.Behavior), I really loved how it works.
Attention, it is not activated by default, too bad.

This BETA version is very promising and for the first time, Vipre finally enters my recommended antivirus!
Congratulations!

RAM Usage : Low
Malware URL test : 10/10 (All blocked)
Fake crack : 1/1 (The fake crack could not be launched, Vipre has detected directly)
Malware Pack : Remaining 21 files out of 223.
Very surprised by Vipre..
He blocked all the attacks we gave him with his new VIPRE.Behavior shield!
Just one false positive from the pack was in memory (Tencent) that we don't count

Resistance to script attacks: Yes

Result :
Vipre : 0
NPE: 0

Recommand : Yes, recommanded
System Clean : Yes, system protected and clean

@BigWrench and @SecureKongo request

Shadowra

Level 33
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
I knew Vipre was / has been a rebranded Bit defender since many years. Just for a clarity in coming weeks if you are free can we test it side by side with BD BB. If I'm not wrong I think it might be using BD BB. But yeah can't speak without ***

Yes I can do that in the next few days ;)

Shadowra

Level 33
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
Thank you very much for this great test. You add value to this forum. So keep up the good work.

How is it compared to BD performance wise? Any bugs? High resources usage? Does it use root certificate to scan encrypted connections?
No bug and no it doesn't use any certificate to analyze the web pages :)

BigWrench

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 13, 2014

Shadowra

Level 33
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
@Shadowra I was pretty sure that it would perform well, still I don't see the new behaviour shield in the settings that you are talking about. The only new thing I see is malicious script protection. :unsure:

It is well in the settings :)
Still in the same place as before!
Just that now it quarantines the suspicious file while before it was only blocking it, that's why I call it "new behavioral shield" since it didn't do it before :)

TedCruz

Level 5
Aug 19, 2022
Hello and welcome to the Vipre BETA test.
Vipre is a well-known antivirus software edited by ThreatTrack, formerly managed by SunBelt and GFI.
Vipre has always been known by geeks or computer security enthusiasts, but not by novices.

For this version, Vipre comes back with improvements like the AMSI system, or a new behavioral blocker!
But, Vipre abandons its excellent anti-malware scanner to use the Bitdefender engine.

The interface has not changed at all. On the other hand, a memory and file processing optimization has been done, and the optimization is violent! It's light and fast, I love it.

The detection is still very good! Vipre even blocks the download of the fake crack! I don't know how it does it since it contains a password, but I applaud it!

On the files, VIPRE did not surprise! It manages without any problem to catch up with everything I launch! It blocks and disinfects the machine thanks to its behavioral shield (VIPRE.Behavior), I really loved how it works.
Attention, it is not activated by default, too bad.

This BETA version is very promising and for the first time, Vipre finally enters my recommended antivirus!
Congratulations!

RAM Usage : Low
Malware URL test : 10/10 (All blocked)
Fake crack : 1/1 (The fake crack could not be launched, Vipre has detected directly)
Malware Pack : Remaining 21 files out of 223.
Very surprised by Vipre..
He blocked all the attacks we gave him with his new VIPRE.Behavior shield!
Just one false positive from the pack was in memory (Tencent) that we don't count

Resistance to script attacks: Yes

Result :
Vipre : 0
NPE: 0

Recommand : Yes, recommanded
System Clean : Yes, system protected and clean

@BigWrench and @SecureKongo request

Could you download another encrypted i.e. password protected file but this time a benign one? I wonder if it just blocks password protected files by default. Or if someone submitted the fake rack password protected file and the engine just pulls the has? Could you change the file by a bit or change a password and try again?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.