Battle Vipre Antivirus vs NOD32 Antivirus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dejan

Thread author
Mar 3, 2011
Vipre isn't the most famous antivirus in the world, but after trying it a few times, I can definitely say it's great, but how does it compare to ESET's NOD32 software? Cast your votes.

Overkill

Level 31
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
Roti said:
VIPRE has extra features and way better than ESET.
For those who said ESET is lighter than VIPRE, check this out :
Nzm4g.jpg

VIPRE wins, hands down. :agree:

Awesome, thanks for this info!

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Roti said:
VIPRE has extra features and way better than ESET.
For those who said ESET is lighter than VIPRE, check this out :
Nzm4g.jpg

VIPRE wins, hands down. :agree:

VIPRE may show up lighter on the Task Manager, but it slows down the system more than Nod32. Especially when accessing files in Windows Explorer. I tried VIPRE on several systems and it always slows them down more than what Nod32 does. VIPRE also has update problems since it has such large signature files, sometimes updates time out and don't install.
It experienced this problem on several systems, they went up to 3 days with no updates. I had the same problems with Sunbelt CounterSpy back when I used to use it. Never had a problem with Nod32 updating.

Sometimes info in the task manager doesn't show accurate results of how a program will run on systems. The only way to know is to try both and see the different when using your system. Some programs may use less RAM and CPU cycles and still make your system run slower than another program that uses more RAM and CPU cycles.

Anyway, if it was just the choice of VIPRE and Nod32, I would choose Nod32 because Eset have been in the malware business much longer than Sunbelt (now GFI) and they have more experience.

Nod32 might not be at the top of AV testing sites but at least they participate in testing, it is unknown where VIPRE would place in testing.

Thanks.:D

Roti

Feb 6, 2012
Littlebits said:
VIPRE may show up lighter on the Task Manager, but it slows down the system more than Nod32. Especially when accessing files in Windows Explorer. I tried VIPRE on several systems and it always slows them down more than what Nod32 does. VIPRE also has update problems since it has such large signature files, sometimes updates time out and don't install.
It experienced this problem on several systems, they went up to 3 days with no updates. I had the same problems with Sunbelt CounterSpy back when I used to use it. Never had a problem with Nod32 updating.

Sometimes info in the task manager doesn't show accurate results of how a program will run on systems. The only way to know is to try both and see the different when using your system. Some programs may use less RAM and CPU cycles and still make your system run slower than another program that uses more RAM and CPU cycles.

Anyway, if it was just the choice of VIPRE and Nod32, I would choose Nod32 because Eset have been in the malware business much longer than Sunbelt (now GFI) and they have more experience.

Nod32 might not be at the top of AV testing sites but at least they participate in testing, it is unknown where VIPRE would place in testing.

Thanks.:D

I've been using VIPRE for more than two years and have never experienced such slow down or anything similar. Yes, in some cases, there is a known bug where windows explorer may freeze while opening any folder with executable installer (exe) and compressed files in it. VIPRE checks the files integrity and if it find any suspicious behaviour, those files will either be quarantined or deleted. I had already talk to VIPRE support team regarding this matter and suggest me to disable the "Check files when they are opened or copied" option under the Active Protection settings. With this option enabled, VIPRE would scan any files that are accessed in any way. With this option disabled, VIPRE would just scan files when they are executed which should still prevent threats from running and improve performance.

I have never experienced any problems while updating virus definition or the program itself, the only known cause for it is due to slow internet connection. Nevertheless VIPRE provides offline updates for those who are facing similar problems.

Task manager was created and programmed perfectly to allow its users to see what is running on their computer, the same way as performance and resource monitor do. I believe the task manager shows the exact info as resource monitor does.

It's doesn't matter how long one company have been in the malware business and it doesn't prove that NOD32 is better than VIPRE only because ESET have been involved in the malware business much longer than GFI. VIPRE is less than 3 years old since the day it was created yet VIPRE has received many awards and achievements. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.